anpr camera and tax?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Sgt_Major

RMS Regular
Drives
E81 123d
When I bought the car though, there was no tax on it, it had expired 2 mnths previous or something, when I went to the tax office, they said they couldn't back date it, just pay from the current month. I'd been driving the car for a few weeks by that stage lol

Karlos Da Jackle

RMS Regular
Drives
PUG 306+GSI CARL
I think he means back in the day when it was a free for all system and there was no computers, the simple times, or as they say in Glenravel, 2004 :party:

LOL, yeah I'm talking the Ninties. But even I done it myself when I first passed the test in 1996. used to be a when stopped by the RUC, your tax is out, yeah sorry officer I never noticed, I'll get straight on it. If they gave you a producer, you went and back taxed her.

I'd say happier and more fun driving times. Than todays big brother society.

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
I'm not sure, that may stand to reason, but maybe not. Thats why I though the cameras picked you up straight away. If they don't then there is the possibility of maybe running for a month, tax free.
Nope, Derek is right, in these times if the car is already registered to you you need to either tax on time or sorn, no way of just skipping out a month for the craic as they know exactly when taxes ended and sorn's started. Its all automated like the rest of the western world, even Glenravel cant escape anymore :p

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
if it isnt on their system as being taxed, then yes there is a risk of trouble.

And it being taxed is no guarantee it will be on their system as taxed either. So you just never know.

Derekm

RMS Regular
Drives
Exige S Focus RS
Yes, without a doubt.
Yes definatley if a SORN car is driven past an ANPR camera then it will get picked up.
I have first hand experience, as it has happened to me already when driving the lotus to the MOT centre. You can't get Tax without an MOT and I got picked up driving to test centre and got letter through the door with a fine. It was scrapped when I rang up and was able to prove that I was on way to get MOT. You are allowed to drive non taxed car to a prearranged MOT test, but thats about the only exception.

Überdub

RMS Regular
Drives
Saab VW French
When it's no longer necessary, due to technology, to display discs to prove that you have tax and M.O.T. it's a bit ridiculous that you can't tax a car without it being M.O.T.'d first.

One of ours has been off the road longer than anticipated and tax has run out as a result of this. I didn't claim a rebate, having put forward the M.O.T. several times; so the treasury has done particularly well as usual. Now that it's SORN'd I suppose it won't be legal to move it from one garage to another to get the headlight beams checked... (n)

Also, if you fail the M.O.T. is it even legal to drive the (now declared unroadworthy) car back to base?

Überdub

RMS Regular
Drives
Saab VW French
Insurance probably wont cover you if you hit anyone if driving with no tax/MOT
Yet, for some reason you need to have this (quite likely as you say, invalid) insurance to drive to a test centre with no tax or M.O.T.

Anyway, I've worked out my ANPR camera free route to the centre as I don't want any stupid fine in the post, regardless of it being cancelled later!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.