awd monster mini project

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

sailerbill

RMS Regular
Drives
v-tec mini
we are looking for ideas on the back subframe so far the Mx5 mk1 or 2 looks like the way to go
but feel free to coment staying with the B16 engine with a CRV gearbox and diff

sailerbill

RMS Regular
OP
sailerbill
Drives
v-tec mini
plan is to convert the monstermini to AWD or 4WD got a CRV manual and i think ill stay with the B16 engine
but not sure what to use for the rear sub-frame maybe MX5 mk1 or mk2
any advice is welcome

sailerbill

RMS Regular
OP
sailerbill
Drives
v-tec mini
Its to help with the tork steer and to get the power down as all the car wants to do is spin wheels

sailerbill

RMS Regular
OP
sailerbill
Drives
v-tec mini
just reading on line with other conversions they tend to go with the mx5 but your wright y not its something we will look at think it might be about the 4 studs for the mini wheels but don’t know

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
have u a project thread for this car so far, this is the first i have heard of it on rms , busting to vtec my mini

pedenjohn

RMS Regular
Surely this has been done lots of times before using a mini front subframe mounted in the rear and a diff in the middle. I'm not saying it would be easy, but at least you would have the same track width pcd etc

Lee A

RMS Regular
Drives
Accord types k24
CRV has been done on a few time attack rexs, lot of work though but would be cool.

sailerbill

RMS Regular
OP
sailerbill
Drives
v-tec mini
**** man i just sold my spare b16 and bits but i will have a b16 gearbox also have a b20 engine but this has been promised to someone come and see mine and when we pull it out again take mesurments

Lee A

RMS Regular
Drives
Accord types k24
not consider getting an s80 gearbox for it or putting a good quality lsd into the box you have?

sailerbill

RMS Regular
OP
sailerbill
Drives
v-tec mini
i have the extra width at the back with the big arch kit on the car wider the better

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
90's Junk
As John said, I've read about this done with a front subframe bodged into the rear of the mini, probably the best option as there will be information about it online if you get into trouble.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Its to help with the tork steer and to get the power down as all the car wants to do is spin wheels

Sort out the front suspension, diff and tyres and it should grip just fine under almost all circumstances. You did say it was just a n/a engine ?

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
**** man i just sold my spare b16 and bits but i will have a b16 gearbox also have a b20 engine but this has been promised to someone come and see mine and when we pull it out again take mesurments

did you DIY your frame ? or is it allspeed or watsons or something ?

sailerbill

RMS Regular
OP
sailerbill
Drives
v-tec mini
yes stevie i have the crv and like the idea of 4wd my mate has his b16 mini with a turbo strapped to it so just waiting to see how that goes before making that move

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Wheels would be the last thing that would swing my decision. You'll always get a nice set to match to PCD of the hubs you end up running.

Us so as Stevie said and go for the CRV back end considering it already has mounts for the diff and all the arms etc are already in place, along with their diffs being very small in size which should suit your conversion, not to mention matching the ratios of the frot diff and box. Trying to get an MX5 diff with ratios to match the CRV's front end stuff would be fun.

pedenjohn

RMS Regular
Well, wheels will be an issue! Because anything bigger than a 13" will be difficult to fit onto a mini, you may have bother fitting 13" wheels over most cars brake setups

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.