awd monster mini project

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

sailerbill

RMS Regular
OP
sailerbill
Drives
v-tec mini
had a look at the crx subframe it is 78inch from the outside of the wheel to wheel and even with my wide arch setup it is 73 inch
also it has drums and i realy want discs on the back
iv seen the mini front subframe fited to the rear and it looks a bit messy so dont want that setup eather
mx5 looks like it will be a good match still lots of cutting but dont mind this if it works
and i think i can get the 13" mini wheels to fit the mk1 mx5 hubs

Tinners

RMS Regular
Drives
Forester S Turbo
if you get a 1.6 mx5 set up you'll get the 13's onto it fine, 13's wont fit over 1.8 brakes so keep that in mind.

Daz500

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Rovers &
If what you need is not available off-the-shelf (it's a mini afterall), would it not just be easier to get bespoke fabrication for what you need?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
had a look at the crx subframe it is 78inch from the outside of the wheel to wheel and even with my wide arch setup it is 73 inch
also it has drums and i realy want discs on the back
iv seen the mini front subframe fited to the rear and it looks a bit messy so dont want that setup eather
mx5 looks like it will be a good match still lots of cutting but dont mind this if it works
and i think i can get the 13" mini wheels to fit the mk1 mx5 hubs

If the CRV uses an IRS back end, just adapt, make new suspension, etc etc. Or just exactly how cheap, how badly, or how well are you looking this to be done ?

And what diff ratio do you actually need ?

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
Why not spend the money on proper stuff to make it drive well as it is, firstly the wheels on it are way too wide, anything over 6" on a mini makes it tramline and handle like a bag of ****. Not helped by being 13's.

On top of that, with the time you would spend on doing all the work, I would dare say I could list 5 to 10 local minis that will still be quicker without having changed from the a-series.

If it is purely an engineering project, then hell yeah, I am all for it...

mickvonmin

RMS Regular
Drives
vtec turbo mini,
I'll be doing the work on this project as i designed and fitted the front vtec subframe, the plan so far is to use the mx5 hubs and wishbones with a custom rear subframe to suit the wishbones and crv diff, this seems to me to be the cleanest way to achieve awd but we are open to suggestions, we have a couple of weeks before we start.

mickvonmin

RMS Regular
Drives
vtec turbo mini,
found this as a guide, looks easy enough :p
REARFRAME_zpsbf1829ed.jpg

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
What exactly is the point of the machine? Monster Mini as in a proper off roader? If so you're starting in completely the wrong direction with independent suspension, vtec's and CRV bits. I'd be looking to lift a SJ410/413 pull the body off and stick the mini on top. You could get a pug 1.9 dturbo engine in there. If it's to go fast then I'd go with what petemoore says.

mickvonmin

RMS Regular
Drives
vtec turbo mini,
this thing is gonna be special, he's talkin big turbos or chargers down the line so 4wd is a must. as for the sorted a series, to get this much power/fun the a would need rebuilt every year.

sailerbill

RMS Regular
OP
sailerbill
Drives
v-tec mini
the car is going awd this is a given . the purpose of the thread is for discussion on the best way forward
i think this will be a fun we car to drive its not about taking it of road but we do believe from reading other builds that this should help with the overall handling of the car
i suppose we are doing it because we can nothing more exciting than that
people that know the car will know that this is my kids car and know why it was built . we go to a lot of shows and
hopefully the awd mini will get attention at these shows and this helps my son interact with other people with a real interest in cars
all your comments are welcome and by tapping into your knowledge hopefully keep us out of trouble
so please keep them coming

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Will the Honda shafts fit the MX5 hubs, or will you be getting shafts made to suit?

Also, if you're going to the extent of fabricating a subframe like the above, would it not be easier, quicker and stronger to just make up subframe mounts in the floor pan of the Mini and tie them into the cage?

I'll see if I can find pics of the work DMAC done on Chris Bradey's AE86 to allow a Nissan 180sx rear subframe to be mounted into it... Nazor might even have pics to hand, or else Graham with a bit of luck.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
found this as a guide, looks easy enough :p
REARFRAME_zpsbf1829ed.jpg

If those are CRV hub uprights and diff, then it looks like it would be a doddle to fabricate up some new arms and a cradle. Dont really see much point retaining those factory arms, as they look very heavy. Plus making your own, you can choose whatever track width you want.

sailerbill

RMS Regular
OP
sailerbill
Drives
v-tec mini
paul that mini looks insane
ill let mick respond to that stevie
what do you think we will gain by turboing the b16 engine ?

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
paul that mini looks insane
ill let mick respond to that stevie

Thing is with the CRV stuff, can it handle the power of a turbo B16? I assume the CRV engine is mounted transversely?

mickvonmin

RMS Regular
Drives
vtec turbo mini,
If those are CRV hub uprights and diff, then it looks like it would be a doddle to fabricate up some new arms and a cradle. Dont really see much point retaining those factory arms, as they look very heavy. Plus making your own, you can choose whatever track width you want.

i've thought about doing up custom arms, even swing arms rather than wishbones but think its more hassle than its worth, the positioning of the arm mounts will determin the track and if bill decides to ditch the front drives for even more fun, i think these arms will be plenty strong enough for 250bhp rear wheel drive, this isnt one of those builds that drags on due to unnecessaries, we are going to start it and soon after it will be finished. my case in point for one of those builds is a boy off the 16vminis forum who used to live here somewhere, he has just given up after a 5 year build, i've done the vtec conversion in a week, no frills.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

You can either gain more power, or more grief and a lighter wallet blowing engines and/or drivetrain, all depends on the level of competence of the person doing the work.

The arms themselves will be the least of your worries in terms of strength relating to power. Strength of the diff, shafts, propshaft etc will be more important.
As may be control of the actual drivetrain. Googling, the CRV seems to run fwd most of the time, only activating the rear drive under certain conditions. Obviously this will need attention.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.