awd monster mini project

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

sailerbill

RMS Regular
OP
sailerbill
Drives
v-tec mini
subframe.jpg

Attachments

• mx5-mod-subframe.png
    mx5-mod-subframe.png
    469.6 KB · Views: 1,675

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
That's a Ford diff in the attached photo, thought you were using CRV bits?

sailerbill

RMS Regular
OP
sailerbill
Drives
v-tec mini
don’t know how that pic got in there I’ve never seen that before lol spooky shiiit

sailerbill

RMS Regular
OP
sailerbill
Drives
v-tec mini
some sort of mad shhit going on i dont even have that picture on my pc
ill let mico put the rest on as its his project

sailerbill

RMS Regular
OP
sailerbill
Drives
v-tec mini
diff and prop in
exhaust down the tunel with the prop tight fit but its in
bit of work geting the gearbox to fit in the old frame but again mikko did it
got the turbo but might leave it for the min
will have the rear drive-shafts back on wed
(geter dunnn )

Ceebl

RMS Regular
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
Sounds like this is starting to take shape, bet ya cant wait for the first test drive!

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
90's Junk
Hope it works out for you man, certainly taking on a pretty big project which is good to see.

sailerbill

RMS Regular
OP
sailerbill
Drives
v-tec mini
moving the rad to the boot and the plan is to vent air in from the side arch and vent out from the back valance

this gives us the room up front to fit the turbo starlet intercooler top mount to be fitted and the T28 sitting ready to bolt in

(Question) .........making the manifold out of mild steel pipe welded on to the b18 flange .will this be up to the job? just worried of the heat transfer on the mild steel so close to the header am i worrying for no reason

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
(Question) .........making the manifold out of mild steel pipe welded on to the b18 flange .will this be up to the job? just worried of the heat transfer on the mild steel so close to the header am i worrying for no reason

Dont understand the question. Mild steel close to what header ? Mild steel is a perfectly suitable material for an exhaust manifold. If it's to mount a turbo, then black iron welding pipe is ideal. It's easy to weld and strong and bends etc are readily available. I would not use thin wall steel tube though.

sailerbill

RMS Regular
OP
sailerbill
Drives
v-tec mini
thanks stevie maybe header is the rong thing at the head exhaust side
im thinking of coming off the manafold flange with 4 short lengths of mild steel exhaust pipe about 2" long and they will atach to a 60mill mild steel pipe that will run across the front of the engine (wing to wing if that makes sense . i only have 6" of space from the head to the front of the car . this will be about 20" long. now the rad is in the boot i have room on the drivers side at the front so ill put the turbo in this space , sorry if this dont make much sense

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
I may be mistaken, but one of the Rover turbo manifolds will fit with a little modification. Would maybe be a simple way round.

But that may be for the D-series engine. Would one of those xs-power manifolds off ebay not suit your needs?

Something like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-INT...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2317125038

you may not have the room though.

Personally I would build it as a 4-2-1 across the front as you describe as opposed to a log manifold that you describe. A bit more fabrication involved, but it will be prettier and flow better

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
thanks stevie maybe header is the rong thing at the head exhaust side
im thinking of coming off the manafold flange with 4 short lengths of mild steel exhaust pipe about 2" long and they will atach to a 60mill mild steel pipe that will run across the front of the engine (wing to wing if that makes sense . i only have 6" of space from the head to the front of the car . this will be about 20" long. now the rad is in the boot i have room on the drivers side at the front so ill put the turbo in this space , sorry if this dont make much sense

it is a little vague. But what you're describing sounds like a basic log manifold. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. 60mm for the main log is huge for such a small engine. Even 50mm would be big, although it'll be a handy size. Dont get fooled into thinking you need huge diameter pipes for a turbo build, you certainly do not. And even the ugliest log manifold will still yield excellent results, and a simple log with small pipes will usually spool faster than a full 4 branch with larger tubes.
With turbo's it's all about gas velocities, they will flow anyway. Yes try and make it flow decent too, but it is not a necessity if space does not allow it. Just take a look at any factory cast turbo manifold. They are all short with small ports.

I would be inclined to turn a bend down and out of the head and into the log though, it just leaves a little more flex to allow for expansion than a totally straight log

ie something like this

67nova%20129.jpg

293983d1304551474-my-log-manifold-lsx-sonoma-small4.jpg

street_driverside.jpg

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Another example. Google images is great. Although it would be nice to see a little more direction bias to the centre two ports. It'll still work despite this

euro.jpg

Bob CRX

RMS Regular
Drives
s20000
That's d series Pete b is an entirely different configuration

I'd have to agree with your second point. Off the shelf manifold not an option?

Fantastic build. Loving it.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.