Best MIG for an amateur

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Kemppi MinarcMig looks like an interesting set. Very portable, just dial in the thickness of your sheet and it calculates the parameters automatically and you just pull the trigger. Can weld stainless and alu too. Tempting though not cheap

Last edited:

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Kemppi MinarcMig looks like an interesting set. Very portable, just dial in the thickness of your sheet and it calculates the parameters automatically and you just pull the trigger. Can weld stainless and alu too. Tempting though not cheap

Nice machine but pricey.
If the Kempi is in the budget then the Esab Caddy C160I or C200i is a similar machine that uses off the shelf consumables ie tips/ shrouds etc.
The Kempi has its own style of consumables with their own price tag. Just a small thing to be aware of.

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Think the ESAB is slightly cheaper too, best I saw was 730+Vat instead of 825+vat for the Kemppi. I must say I am really tempted for one, they look incredibly easy to use.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Think the ESAB is slightly cheaper too, best I saw was 730+Vat instead of 825+vat for the Kemppi. I must say I am really tempted for one, they look incredibly easy to use.

They are. Almost idiot proof lol
Plus Alistair Moore in mallusk is an esab dealer so very handy if any problems arise.

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Just to dig this up, I've ordered the wee kemppi mig and am now looking to get sorted with gas. Fyfes do a 20L bottle with a one off £75 surcharge and no more rental, and then its £60 a fill. How does this compare to the Volkszone Y Size bottle?

Also is 0.8mm the best general size for wire?

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
I find 0.8mm the best for general welding but i do keep a small reel of 0.6mm for doing lighter stuff like paper thin bodywork.
I get my gas (CO2) from @lightning I believe the bottle was £70 and a refill is £25 or so. Bottle is maybe 3ft tall and lasts for ages (if you've no leaks :oops: )

lightning

RMS Trader
Drives
volvo 740
Just to dig this up, I've ordered the wee kemppi mig and am now looking to get sorted with gas. Fyfes do a 20L bottle with a one off £75 surcharge and no more rental, and then its £60 a fill. How does this compare to the Volkszone Y Size bottle?

Also is 0.8mm the best general size for wire?

Yeah our bottles have went up a bit from andy got his, £90 for 25 ltrs, but we only charge £27 for a fill so you'll make it back quick enough (y)

amcm1

RMS Regular
image.jpg
The sealey supermig150 is a very good budget welder. Got mine of @lightning a while back and has been used to weld sills, exhaust, bits of gates and sheds and is very easy to use and leaves decent enough welds using argon/co2 and 0.6 wire

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Just signed up to Volkszone deal on argoshield light (y) 38.70 rental and 26.50 for each refill. Plus the dreaded, obvs.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Thinking of getting a sealey mightymig 190 from @lightning.

Wouldn't be used everyday, or even every week.
Will be wanting to use it for car bodywork etc for a right bit at the beginning, tho will also be making a turning jig/spit for the car too.

What's your thoughts?

Also gas, what and where?

By the sounds of it, Argoshield light is the one to get.

Is it only available in the large bottles?

And this volkzone deal thing, where can I find that?

Thanks in advance and sorry if my questions have already been answered, flicked through the thread.

JH86

RMS Regular
im a welder/master fabricator by trade.. i just sold a epic machine because it was too big.. and i even dont know what to buy

was thinking of an esab 220 machine in weld pro atm but the vat puts it near 800quid

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Thinking of getting a sealey mightymig 190 from @lightning.

Wouldn't be used everyday, or even every week.
Will be wanting to use it for car bodywork etc for a right bit at the beginning, tho will also be making a turning jig/spit for the car too.

What's your thoughts?

Also gas, what and where?

By the sounds of it, Argoshield light is the one to get.

Is it only available in the large bottles?

And this volkzone deal thing, where can I find that?

Thanks in advance and sorry if my questions have already been answered, flicked through the thread.

I think @lightning does the gas as well so best to speak to him to see if he does argoshield.

If you are just using the welder sporadically then the rented bottles dont seem great value to me.
You might not use half a bottle in a year but still have to pay the full rental.

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
I think @lightning does the gas as well so best to speak to him to see if he does argoshield.

If you are just using the welder sporadically then the rented bottles dont seem great value to me.
You might not use half a bottle in a year but still have to pay the full rental.

Volkszone deal the rental is only 38 quid (plus vat) so not that bad imo. I'd be happy to pay that even if only sporadic use

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Call 0800 111 333, tell them you want to open a new account and quote the "volkszone deal", everyone knows about it and they will set it up. Has to be done via that boc sales line rather than in your local distributor, once it's set up you just buy the gas locally as normal and your account will automatically get the discount applied.

Argoshield light (5% co2, 2% O2 and rest argon) £38.70 rent and 26.50 per refill.

Pure argon and normal argoshield also available, think argon was £55.90 rental and £35ish for refills

Above prices are plus vat

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
BOC at Prince Regent Road were able to change my Argon to the Volkzone deal. I think Pete got his bottles there on the deal too.

Bryan

RMS Regular
I only just read through this thread - is the Volkszone deal still going? I was going to buy a new welder but I think I might just make some improvements to it as recommended by @Bazmcc first of all to see if it improves.

Bryan

RMS Regular
I picked up a bottle of the Argoshield on Friday from BOC and bought a new regalator and a steel wire liner from @lightning 's place today. My old welder is like a brand new machine - the welds it is now producing are like nothing I have ever seen it do before. I thought I needed to get a new welder to acheive these results!

It's so good now that I can barely go above wire speed 3 (used to be at 6/7 all the time) without blowing holes all over the place in the thin steel. It'll take a while to get used to.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.