Best MIG for an amateur

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

forde

RMS Regular
OP
F
Drives
Vectra SRi
hey i didnt realise people were still replying to this

i have ordered a SIP T135 Migmate

now i need to sort out gas

can @lightning sort me out with a regulator? and/or gas?

maybe i would be best with the boc gas? where did u pick it up from @Bryan and who did u ring just the number that was quoted earlier? is it just 38 quid?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
How much did they charge for postage ?

I think Wilsons/Lightning offer CO2 bottles only ?

BOC Volkzone deal you pay yearly rental and per fill. But the typical size Y will last you a very long time with a MIG. Rental on the Volkzone is around £50-60 per year I think, and a fill £38. This is a bargain compared to normal prices.

Hobbyweld is another option for proper Argoshield welding gas, £60 up front and £30 per fill. A single size Y BOC bottle would hold around 5-6 Hobbyweld bottles though

Bryan

RMS Regular
maybe i would be best with the boc gas? where did u pick it up from @Bryan and who did u ring just the number that was quoted earlier? is it just 38 quid?

I got the gas from BOC on Prince Regent Road in Belfast. I had to phone the number earlier in this thread and set up an account. They had to email me out the paperwork to sign and then I emailed it back again. The bottle cost me £30 odd there and then and then they invoice you the yearly rental fee of another £30 odd which can be paid by direct debit.

Don't bother going down the CO2 route - that's what I was using before in the form of CO2 fire extinguishers. It was fine for the thicker steel but it never really worked very well on the thin stuff. For me, the argoshield gas is like learning how to weld all over again it is completely different. If I had the choice I would go for the argoshield straight from the start.

The regulator and steel wire liner cost me £45 - you could probably get the regulator cheaper off ebay but I wanted it to be able to get stuck into welding yesterday.

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
:worried:

uploadfromtaptalk1420377811809.jpg

RoniN

RMS Regular
Don't bother going down the CO2 route - that's what I was using before in the form of CO2 fire extinguishers. It was fine for the thicker steel but it never really worked very well on the thin stuff. For me, the argoshield gas is like learning how to weld all over again it is completely different. If I had the choice I would go for the argoshield straight from the start.

Been using CO2 all the time, never had a problem. I was told never to use CO2 fire extinguishers as they have a gas added that makes them unsuitable for welding.
Argonshield does give a nice clean shiny weld.

Cheers

Last edited:

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
What's up ? Have they stopped the deal or something on your account ? Yours is the larger bottle though ?
Got sick of swapping bottles so often. Big bottle ftw.

By the time I accounted for time, fuel back and forth and if course being tempted by tools when at MMS or BOC it's just cheaper to get a big bottle

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Yup, TIG uses crazy amounts of gas.

I dont use mine that often, so the Y is plenty for me.

Y for a MIG for most people would be plenty too. I'm still on the Hobbyweld for my MIG, but really dont use it very often so not a big deal.

If I started using much again, it'd be Volkzone right away.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Can anyone explain how to go about getting the volkszone deal?

Using Co2 atm as we had it about, but when it's done or maybe before depending how long it lasts I'd be for going to Argoshield light.

There's a BOC place in Omagh which I think is the closest to me.

Any help be great

Bryan

RMS Regular
Call 0800 111 333, tell them you want to open a new account and quote the "volkszone deal", everyone knows about it and they will set it up. Has to be done via that boc sales line rather than in your local distributor, once it's set up you just buy the gas locally as normal and your account will automatically get the discount applied.

Argoshield light (5% co2, 2% O2 and rest argon) £38.70 rent and 26.50 per refill.

Pure argon and normal argoshield also available, think argon was £55.90 rental and £35ish for refills

Above prices are plus vat

Can anyone explain how to go about getting the volkszone deal?

Using Co2 atm as we had it about, but when it's done or maybe before depending how long it lasts I'd be for going to Argoshield light.

There's a BOC place in Omagh which I think is the closest to me.

Any help be great

As above - just give them a ring and tell them you have heard about the Volkszone deal for Argoshield gas. That's all I did. They took all my details and then emailed me forms to sign and email back.

I did all that on Friday morning and had the gas on Friday evening.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
As above - just give them a ring and tell them you have heard about the Volkszone deal for Argoshield gas. That's all I did. They took all my details and then emailed me forms to sign and email back.

I did all that on Friday morning and had the gas on Friday evening.
Awesome thanks Bryan

Ffs, @Rob was answering me when he said that, I must have missed his reply.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I just went to BOC on Prince Regent Rd and they transferred my old account for argon to the Volkzone deal

If they had told me about the deal when I cancelled my argoshield bottle 2 months earlier, I'd have still had 2 bottles with them

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
What's the working difference between

Pure argon
Argoshield and
Argoshield light

Which one would yous go for?

I'm still thinking Argoshield light will be best suited for what I want going by a little reading,tho not fully sure.

Will be mainly working with light bodywork and car material, then box section which is probably 2-3mm

Will be rare to be at anything of 5mm or more

Sam.

RMS Regular
Pure argon for TIG (Or also aluminium welding with MIG).

Argoshield/Argoshield Light are both Argon/CO2/Oxygen mix with different Argon/CO2 ratios.

Argoshield Light is recommended for <4mm mild steel, so it's great for car bodywork (I use it with my MIG).

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Argoshield/Argoshield Light are both Argon/CO2/Oxygen mix with different Argon/CO2 ratios.

Argoshield Light is recommended for <4mm mild steel, so it's great for car bodywork (I use it with my MIG).

Argoshield Light it is then.

Depends what you're welding and with what equipment

MIG and more than likely always under 5mm

Sorry for the note questions, thought it was that one but just wanted to be sure.

Thanks

forde

RMS Regular
OP
F
Drives
Vectra SRi
i didnt realise u have to change your liner to use the different wires for gas/gasless welding, or is that not always the case?

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
i didnt realise u have to change your liner to use the different wires for gas/gasless welding, or is that not always the case?

I wouldn't have said that youd need to change the liner unless the gasless flux core is just physically too big for the existing liner, which is unlikely.

forde

RMS Regular
OP
F
Drives
Vectra SRi
Ah right ok, my welder is coming set up gasless so I won't have to change for gas wire then

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Would probably depend on the diameter of the liner.

Obviously wire too big wont fit, but I'd imagine you wouldnt also want a liner far too big for the wire being used.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Ah right ok, my welder is coming set up gasless so I won't have to change for gas wire then

No you shouldn't have to.
However;

"Welder polarity
The welder should be set up with a positive earth and negative electrode for gasless welding. This is supposed to put more power into melting the wire." (Taken from mig-welding.co.uk)

This may have been what you were confusing the change of liner with as gas welding requires it to be the other way round.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.