Big Money Personal Plates

stevyg

RMS Regular
I hate personal plates & I can't believe how much people pay for them. Paying thousands for one is just a very strange concept to me now because for a whooping $35 over here you can have any plate you want as long as it isn't more than 7 letters/numbers isn't considered rude or offensive and it isn't already taken in your state.

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
I understand that I am in the minority but I really don't get changing reg plates on a car at all, maybe it stems from being brought up in the south where there is no such thing as personal plates.

I cant understand how people could want to spend money on 2 pieces of **** yellow and white plastic with different letters from the piece of plastic they currently have.

They aren't my thing either! I know my car has in essence a personalised plate, but it was put on the car from new and wasn't a deciding factor for me buying the car.

dannydnn

RMS Regular
Is It Correct that you never really own a registration as the dvla can take them back

It takes you to be caught three times with doctored plates before they have the right to confiscate and de-register a plate. A plate can always be transferred as long as both cars are and mot'd or it can be put on retention.

My neighbour had DM 4 for years but sold it for £60,000

jimcupra

RMS Regular
Guilty my mum bought me a plate and I kept it for quite a few years. When my car was involved in an accident I didn't get it back due to the insurance company. It was more sentimental value than anything else.
A plate is a plate be it 1 or 4 digits. If I had money to burn and was looking a good tax dodge then that's different :p

Überdub

RMS Regular
Drives
Saab VW French
It's okay if it actually states something pertinent to the car, provided a) the car is awesome (of the calibre of a 250 California) and b) you don't have figure out what it says or pretend a spurious digit is absent but if it is supposed to be the owner's name or initials it's all bit desperate and strictly for the narcissists. An ordinary car with its model number on the boot badge and repeated somewhere in the reg. plate just isn't that awesome.

Last edited:

davecoupe

RMS Photographer
Drives
S14a/vRS/Jetta
They aren't my thing either! I know my car has in essence a personalised plate, but it was put on the car from new and wasn't a deciding factor for me buying the car.

My Datsun has a plate that ends in KFC, came on the car and definitely didn't influence me buying it.

If Colonel Sanders called me up to buy it, he would pay a few bucks but would be more than welcome to it.

AIRFORCE1

Banned
Drives
164/580 Topline
It's just an each to there own thing. Some guys like thin birds, some like fat birds. Some like blondes, some like Brunnettes. Some like plates. I fall into the plate catagory and have so many of them I even have them on my mates cars as don't have enough vehicles for them

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
When I had the Fiesta I enquired about F13STA £10k , I politely declined

PAULW

RMS Regular
Lots of hate for plates here! Horses for courses, I personally think they are a nice finishing touch to a car. I particularly dislike the mainland plates xx04xxx, ni plates look better. My other hate is non standard fonts, used to have squished metros on every car, now i think it ruins a car and makes it chavvy,

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
The plates x77xxx are awful looking. My friend had one T77TPC or something like that. But only the PC was his initials. We always said the rest stood for TIT

andy_gdon

RMS Regular
Drives
GTi Polo
I like to see a nice plate on a car tbh we have rez 78 and 79 but would love to find rez 80 and 81 to complete the fleet

Odhran

RMS Regular
Drives
A5 Sportback
Was hell bent on buying OG10 GUE (my initials are O.G. Logue) but decided against it. Couldn't be bothered with the associated hassle a plate would inevitably bring.