Budget tyres

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

BBSBOY

RMS Regular
OP
B
I'm not saying this is the case for your car Steven, but something for everyone to look for when purchasing a second hand car. With the rise of lease cars, there are certain stipulations for the return of the car, one of which being the tyre depth.
Most companies say that a 'legal' tyre is required come return time. My golf R came with potenza's at £92/corner. Now, should I require tyres come hand back time in order to return with 'legal' tyres, will I pay £368 for tyres, or opt for the £30 equivalents in order to not have the lease company charge me £200/corner.
Cheap tyres will only be on the increase with leases, and typically it'll be on higher end cars.

Be vigilant

Read your lease documents carefully. It usually states the tyres must be of equal quality to what where fitted. I initially thought the dealer had fitted these mayrun pieces of crap but I think it was the previous owner who likely knew he was trading it in. It didn't worry me at the time as I knew I would be changing them, but I was going to change them in a month or so. I think I was lucky to have them looked at so soon or they could have let go.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Aye mine says equavalent quality. How exactly that is determined and whether it's actually checked, is anyone's guess.

Reactions: DC.

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
MK8 GTi CS
I'll dig out the full document and double check, but on the phone last week the girl advised me it had to be 'legal'.
Surely though even those ditch finders must have a CE or BS standard on them? In my eyes if they both have the stamp, they are of equavelant quality.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Aye mine says equavalent quality. How exactly that is determined and whether it's actually checked, is anyone's guess.
Black & round?

It really is shocking the lack of attention people pay to their tyres. Having them properly inflated & with good tread is as basic as it gets.

Fair enough if they don't want to spend the extra on better tyres.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Black & round?

vehicle must have the tyres replaced with the same specification as originally supplied with the vehicle. This is in accordance with the manufacturer’s standard specification. The load and speed rating should match the original specification.

So perhaps it's only load and speed ratings or something. I'd taken it as 'something that's not a £15 ling long'. I'm not planning on the tyres needing replaced just as the lease is about to end though. Will rotate like I would on every car.

It really is shocking the lack of attention people pay to their tyres. Having them properly inflated & with good tread is as basic as it gets.

Goes for everything really. Some seem to think MOT is the only time of year their car should be in road legal fettle and then let it fall to bits the rest of the time. Would do my head in knowing something wasn't how it should be.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Even more so now that a lot of new cars have no spare wheel. No point trying to inflate it at the roadside when it's got a hole in it due to it wearing right through the tread/canvas.

DLA cars are always poorly maintained from what I can see.

Last edited:

Debaser

RMS Regular
Drives
Kuga ST-Line X
DLA cars are always poorly maintained from what I can see.

Don't agree, the cars have to be serviced religiously as part of the contract with Motability, something a lot of private owners don't do. If they don't make a service appointment then Motability are on their back 24/7 until they do.
Tyres etc are never an issue
The other halfs current Focus had just come off Motability when she bought it, full dealer service history and in perfect nick

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Don't agree, the cars have to be serviced religiously as part of the contract with Motability, something a lot of private owners don't do. If they don't make a service appointment then Motability are on their back 24/7 until they do.
Tyres etc are never an issue
The other halfs current Focus had just come off Motability when she bought it, full dealer service history and in perfect nick
I see your point but from my experience some are very poorly kept. You would know they aren't paying for them.

RubberLover

RMS Regular
I see your point but from my experience some are very poorly kept. You would know they aren't paying for them.
Especially when they have punctures and drive in the tyres soft for months because they can't be bothered driving to KwikFit and spending half a day there.

Reactions: DC.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
Especially when they have punctures and drive in the tyres soft for months because they can't be bothered driving to KwikFit and spending half a day there.

I think idiots do that no matter if it's a DLA car, a lease or owned. Idiots are idiots.

I agree with what @DC. said, they have free servicing and tyres, so there's no reason for them not to be mechanically sound. As for visually, thats down to each individual, I know my parents were getting quotes to fix a car park ding in theirs after the DLA said they weren't going to fix it because it's superficial.

miniator

RMS Regular
Drives
'72 Mini
@BBSBOY tbh im more surprised that you bought another a5, you couldnt wait to get rid of the last one!!

The wife's new ibiza came with Dunlop Sport Maxx, best tyre ive driven on but given their retail price they'd need to be!!

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
@BBSBOY tbh im more surprised that you bought another a5, you couldnt wait to get rid of the last one!!

The wife's new ibiza came with Dunlop Sport Maxx, best tyre ive driven on but given their retail price they'd need to be!!
Funny you say that my mps came with them from new and they were garbage in the wet, 260 odd bhp through the front wheels may not have helped though!

RubberLover

RMS Regular
IMG_9424.JPG
IMG_9425.JPG
Same scenario on this Kumho

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Run soft or cheap crap?

I always thought Khumo were dead on

Run a tyre too soft long enough and there'd be no rubber left where the bulge is.

The amount of people we get wanting a puncture repaired and saying the didn't drive with it soft st all or long and once the tyres off the truth is found when the inner sidewalk is just dust inside the tyre. Lol

miniator

RMS Regular
Drives
'72 Mini
Funny you say that my mps came with them from new and they were garbage in the wet, 260 odd bhp through the front wheels may not have helped though!

Let's be honest, is anything going to grip with that horsepower in the wet!

The Ibiza is only 150tsi but it does have the xds diff which helps. I do think they handle standing water with ease - the tyre's that is

RubberLover

RMS Regular
@Lyons run soft too long, too often. Alloy wheels were corroded and leaking air. The owner just kept topping the air up when the tyre looked soft

Smick

RMS Regular
Drives
CLA45
Bought an A5 there from a dealer and he'd just put 4 new Nexan tyres on it.
Tried to use that as a bargaining tool to get some ££ off; I'm the same wouldn't put cheap tyres on a high powered car.
They are surprisingly grippy though I have to say, even in the wet. Impressed with them and I'd never heard of that make before.
Could just be the quattro making the difference vs what I'm used to.
Might be a different story as they begin to wear though.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Bought an A5 there from a dealer and he'd just put 4 new Nexan tyres on it.
Tried to use that as a bargaining tool to get some ££ off; I'm the same wouldn't put cheap tyres on a high powered car.
They are surprisingly grippy though I have to say, even in the wet. Impressed with them and I'd never heard of that make before.
Could just be the quattro making the difference vs what I'm used to.
Might be a different story as they begin to wear though.

Nexan has been round for a long time, good enough tyre

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I think idiots do that no matter if it's a DLA car, a lease or owned. Idiots are idiots.

I agree with what @DC. said, they have free servicing and tyres, so there's no reason for them not to be mechanically sound. As for visually, thats down to each individual, I know my parents were getting quotes to fix a car park ding in theirs after the DLA said they weren't going to fix it because it's superficial.

And what happens at main dealers who offer "free servicing"....the service tends to be a wash and...maybe a vacuum.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
And what happens at main dealers who offer "free servicing"....the service tends to be a wash and...maybe a vacuum.
My eyes have been opened about local dealers in the last few years. Unless it was absolutely necessary I wouldn't bring a car near them to have anything done.

Normski

RMS Regular
Drives
987 BoxsterS
Reviving this so to keep the higher powers happy and not create new unnecessary threads :p

Anyway, Passat needs two rears very soon and the fronts have about 1000 miles in them.

I have Pirelli's all round, front p zero's, rears Cinturato's. They are all over £110 a corner for the 235/40/18 and I wouldn't say they were that great to be honest.

Leads me on to my options. The Passat is a daily, will have about 200hp at most when finally mapped, do I need to be running expensive tyres?

I've been quouted about £65 each (fitting included etc) for a Sailun ZSR tyre.

Sailun ZSR.png

Anyone ever come across these or what would people recommend up to about £80 a corner?

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
I got 2 new Yokohama C-Drive AC02 from Kerrs at £75 per corner for the back of the Saab, they are doing the job grand.

upload_2017-5-17_12-55-42.jpeg

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Reviving this so to keep the higher powers happy and not create new unnecessary threads :p

Anyway, Passat needs two rears very soon and the fronts have about 1000 miles in them.

I have Pirelli's all round, front p zero's, rears Cinturato's. They are all over £110 a corner for the 235/40/18 and I wouldn't say they were that great to be honest.

Leads me on to my options. The Passat is a daily, will have about 200hp at most when finally mapped, do I need to be running expensive tyres?

I've been quouted about £65 each (fitting included etc) for a Sailun ZSR tyre.

View attachment 146078

Anyone ever come across these or what would people recommend up to about £80 a corner?

Not a bad tyre at all, decent and very well priced.

Have them on the mothers E-Class Merc and the bother has them on his Golf, he prefers them to Generals which are £30-40 more a tyre.

Fathers sells an unreal amount of them and no complaints yet

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.