Budget tyres

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Normski

RMS Regular
Drives
987 BoxsterS
Thanks for that @weeloaney. I naturally look up tyre reviews but generally people only pot if they are highly charged either positively or negatively about it and you never get a 'normal man in the street' opinion. For what I intend to do with them which is mainly driving to and from work and family days out etc I think I'll be grand

RubberLover

RMS Regular
Not a bad tyre at all, decent and very well priced.

Have them on the mothers E-Class Merc and the bother has them on his Golf, he prefers them to Generals which are £30-40 more a tyre.

Fathers sells an unreal amount of them and no complaints yet
General would come in under his budget?

Gobsheene

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini&Corolla
Hancook v12 Evo2s in that size should be ok. @Normski

Think im on my 4/5th full set of four across a few cars. Cannot fault them tbh.

Grippy in the dry, give confidence in the wet and wear great. I got 19K out of a full set on the Octavia and have 18K on the current set and similar on the Leon.

Elaine down in Kerrs in Antrim was able to do me some for £70 a tyre a couple of years ago. Lakeland was also fairly reasonable for them.

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
I was quoted £80 for the Hancooks by Kerrs last months, which is why I went for the Yoko's to save a bit, assuming they are of similar quality..

Gobsheene

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini&Corolla
I put some Yokos on the Leon before we sold it, never checked the model. But I didn't rate them much at all.

In a country where it rains 60% of the year a good wet tyre makes sense!

Normski

RMS Regular
Drives
987 BoxsterS
So, having weighed up options all week (sick of looking up tyre websites on my breaks etc) I've decided I'm probably best getting a premium tyre that will last me a year and or12/14k miles hopefully and not buy Sailun ones or equivalent and have to replace them in 6 months and more £ spend overall, also reading real tyre test reviews I'd be happier knowing the ones I have will cope with the more than not amount of rain we get here so just to find the ones I want.

The Michelin PS4 seem to be the top dogs at the minute but they are maybe just a touch too expensive for my liking.

Anyone have or used Dunlop Sportmaxx RT2? They seem to get very good write ups for a bit less £, can get them for about £100 a tyre

Simon998

RMS Regular
Drives
90's Junk
Has anyone experienced Uniroyal RainExpert 3's? I've had the Rainsport 3's before and thought they were great, these are £14 cheaper per tyre (Which is a lot when they're only £33 each).

AlpineF30

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M3
Anyone have any experience with Falken tyres? What's the verdict on them? The 116d needs new rear tyres and it isn't driven hard.

Also my M4 will need new back tyres very shortly what options would I have? BMW recommend either Pilot Super Sports or ContiSports however on a good few sites I've checked the Kumho KU39 outperforms them and for a 1/3 of the price

zwecker

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk4 Golf TDI
I have just replaced all 4 tyres on my car with budgets. Some are good. Some a terrible. I cover around 600 miles per week so the idea of spending 400 on a set of Uniroyals or Kumhos just isnt justified if i will need to replace them in 5 or 6 months.

Yes, if i were doing half that mileage then a set of premium tyres would be the ticket. £200 for 4 19" budgets cant be bad. And never buy part worns. Dont last and have had issues with every single one i have bought in the past whether it be slow punctures, imbalances or them burning out too quick

Turks

RMS Regular
Drives
Passat/Impreza
Anyone have any experience with Falken tyres? What's the verdict on them? The 116d needs new rear tyres and it isn't driven hard.

Also my M4 will need new back tyres very shortly what options would I have? BMW recommend either Pilot Super Sports or ContiSports however on a good few sites I've checked the Kumho KU39 outperforms them and for a 1/3 of the price
The falken weren't a bad tyre but I found that they wore very quickly. At the same price I bought hankook tyres and would rate them highly around that price range.

Triumph Fan

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus ST

I don't know how they compare against the other tyres you have mentioned but I've had KU39s on a couple of cars and found them to be spot on.

Nigelo

RMS Regular

Currently Michelin pilot sport 4S ('S' bit is important) seem to be the top-of-the-heap for performance road tyres. KU39 are decent for a performance car, just depends on how well you want the power down if you're giving it stacks.

Stoddy

Drives
Audi A6 Allroad
Hi everyone.
We can all assume Michelin or hankook or Dunlop you know these too name tyre providers. If we look at it in a real world it’s like biscuits. We all go for Mcvities or Jacobs once again the big name popular names. But getting back to Tyres I bought two Michelin tyres for my transit connect and they lasted 12 months. Which I paid £120 per tyre now personally I use a budget tyre I’d try any weird named tyre out. I’d rather drive with a budget tyre with a good tread which is affordable now rather than run my Big named brand tyre till it’s practically bold saving to buy them. But it’s eberyones choice. I’d never buy Michelin again. Utter dog ****.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
The cupra has conti 5's on it and they are pure ****....they will be getting replaced with hankook evo's at half the price.

Ant

RMS Regular
Hi everyone.
We can all assume Michelin or hankook or Dunlop you know these too name tyre providers. If we look at it in a real world it’s like biscuits. We all go for Mcvities or Jacobs once again the big name popular names. But getting back to Tyres I bought two Michelin tyres for my transit connect and they lasted 12 months. Which I paid £120 per tyre now personally I use a budget tyre I’d try any weird named tyre out. I’d rather drive with a budget tyre with a good tread which is affordable now rather than run my Big named brand tyre till it’s practically bold saving to buy them. But it’s eberyones choice. I’d never buy Michelin again. Utter dog ****.

there's a difference between a tyre being dog ****, and having bad wear vs value tbh
Pirellis i had were excellent but same scenario, soft tyre lasted 8k miles so ***** in that sense but grippy and excellent from that respect

Stoddy

Drives
Audi A6 Allroad
I had Hankook tyres on my Transit Van and they were Bang on. I’ve had the van for 2 yrs with the same ones on the front so I wouldn’t complain. I guess it’s down to how we drive our vehicles.

Ant

RMS Regular
The cupra has conti 5's on it and they are pure ****....they will be getting replaced with hankook evo's at half the price.

i have /had hancook evos on mine, good tyre been excellent, just had to replace the rears after about 20k
went for a cheaper set this time round (time of year isn't ideal for spending £300 on two tyres lol) Event Potentum on rear now, got decent reviews for grip/wear just bad road noise.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I honestly don't find the conti's have any grip, even on a dry road. Ok the car has near 300bhp through the front wheels but anything more than half pedal in the first 2 gears and its banging its tits off with wheel hop

Stoddy

Drives
Audi A6 Allroad
In appreciate what your saying but in my own opion we should drive according to the conditions. In bad weather I wouldn’t expect a tyre to stop on a sixpence irrespective of how much I paid for it. Same as the snow and ice one would think.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Most of my driving is between 30 and 40mph. The cupras have a problem with wheel hop, the tyres don't spin the axle/wheel bangs, it sounds like your driving over a pile of bricks when it breaks traction.
I still think the hankook is a better tyre on anything but a dry warm road.

richie_mck

RMS Regular
My golf r came with bridgestone potenzas and when the time came to change the tyres i went with Kumho Ecsta Sports as the car mainly does family runs. The difference is night and day, very dissapointed with Kumhos after having them previously on another car.

genman

G
I worry more about stability under heavy braking than raw off the line grip... Next is cornering grip confidence in the damp or the tyre feel in standing water.
If a tyre feels right and stops smoothly I'll stick to them.... I do however find that usually results in a big brand name.

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I would be the opposite, i rarely corner hard unless it’s dry and I can see what’s ahead and same with brakes i never leave it late but I do like a tyre that grips up when you plant it, just takes some getting used to with the Cupra, it builds speed quicker on half a pedal until you get into 3rd.

genman

G
Cupra would be relatively light compared to a 2ton insignia which on poor tyres feels like it's sliding off the road when tyres don't grip. Off the line I've sympathy for the clutch most of the time though having 4wd helps offset tyre issues.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.