Can I Drive My Car If Mot Is Booked After Suggested Date?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
MOT is on the 8th Jan

Just incase I cannot get to the MOT centre before then, can I book a later date and still drive the car? eg 14th Jan?

Thanks

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Doesn't matter when the upcoming test is, you can drive your car until the current MOT expiry date. When's that?

Boydie

RMS Regular
OP
Boydie
Drives
S3 Revo
I think it is the 8th - form is at home.

If I book it for the 14th, can I drive my car legally between the 8th and 14th?

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Only to and from a garage for MOT preparation (and they're funny about that) or to the MOT centre itself.

Your MOT expires on the 8th, so the car shouldn't be driven on the road (officially) after that date - whether your MOT is booked for the 14th January or the 14th June doesn't matter.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Only to and from a garage for MOT preparation (and they're funny about that) or to the MOT centre itself.

Your MOT expires on the 8th, so the car shouldn't be driven on the road (officially) after that date - whether your MOT is booked for the 14th January or the 14th June doesn't matter.

No. Only to/from a pre-arranged MOT test.

Nowhere else.

da.murf

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan 350z
Was stopped before by dva van and told only the mechanics who are doing MOT work can drive car to centre if it is past ur expiry date.

ie mot expires on 8th Jan, u are booked for 15th Jan

Thought to myself "wot if ur car needs no work lol?"

Only person ever to say this to me lol. Bit random I thought.

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
If its taxed you can drive to the MOT centre fine, you don't need a mechanic to do that lol

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
REally, i always wondered about that, if you sorned the car for a year -you can't get tax without an mot, but you can't drive to mot with no tax lol.

Gambit

RMS Regular
if you get caught with no MOT (but taxed & insured) you only get a fixed penalty as opposed to points

tho i have always wondered about the insurance thing, even though everyone states you only need insurance to drive a car to the MOT centre. does most peoples insurance not state that it must have a valid MOT for insurance to be valid?? unless it says in your insurance that the insurance is still valid if the car does not have an MOT but is being driven to for a pre-booked MOT?? something ive wondered but never checked the small print

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
So, to be clear, If its sorned, as mine currently is, with MOT booked for the 17th Jan, I can drive to the MOT centre without worry?

FAKER

RMS Regular
Drives
loadsa stuff
If you vehicle if captured on film by a dvlni camera van, going to or from a pre booked mot - even while sorned, you will still get a penalty notice through the post, a copy of the test appointment and test certificate, dated within a reasonable time scale on the same day as the mot test forwarded to the dvta will void any penalty issued by the dvlni.

Mrt20

RMS Regular
If you vehicle if captured on film by a dvlni camera van, going to or from a pre booked mot - even while sorned, you will still get a penalty notice through the post, a copy of the test appointment and test certificate, dated within a reasonable time scale on the same day as the mot test forwarded to the dvta will void any penalty issued by the dvlni.
Drove past one of tax cars quite recently in a sorned fiat panda and I never heard any more of it. I assumed their systems are linked some how.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Drove past one of tax cars quite recently in a sorned fiat panda and I never heard any more of it. I assumed their systems are linked some how.

Took over 5 months for them to send me out a fine for driving a car with no tax. Had forgot all about it by that stage, but paid it anyway as the car was only being brought home after buying it to put it in the girlfriend's name...

FAKER

RMS Regular
Drives
loadsa stuff
I received a fine for an untaxed car I was taking to mot. Simply wrote the dvlni a letter with a copy of the mot cert and they contacted me to say they were not taking it any further. Another sore point though. I submitted a sorn for one of my cars, which the dvlni never received, I got a fine for £100 odd. My fault as I never reported to them that I did not receive my sorn reciept.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.