Carbon build up - 2.0L TSI

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
So people often ask about carbon clean and if it works and @pobmk4 has posted images in the past of 'build up' to highlight that no chemical is likely to shift it, well just been sent these images, it took soda blasting by OD Cars in Belfast to shift the build up, engine unknown but will update soon

16325637_1854859371470379_1588266793_o.jpg

16344502_1854859411470375_2066062649_n.jpg

16388608_1854859461470370_1628753541_o.jpg

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
A chemical clean probably would do it...with lots of elbow grease and over a few days lol

A blast would do it in a few minutes.

Modern cars eh....getting back to the days of cars from the 40's and 50's with all that crap build up !

Ian A

RMS Regular
OP
Ian A
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Just to update the golf.

Compression test showed poor reading on cylinder 1. Head's coming off to investigate the exhaust valves.

What we reckon is that the car had a weak, but not entirely bad injector on cylinder 1, causing it to run slightly lean and therefore very hot. Then if it's being driven hard, it'll be running roasting warm on that cylinder, hence burning the exhaust values. At higher revs, it's probably enough to avoid highlighting, but at tick-over when the flow through the cylinders is at it's lowest, it shows the error. Well that's the guess anyway....

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
If it was leaning it would also likely be detonating and should be picked up by a knock sensor. Was it down in power ? As the ecu should pull timing off if it sees any knock.
Imagine you will be getting all 4 injectors flow tested and cleaned.

StephenDc2

RMS Regular
If you had a very bad build up of carbon around your valve seats then you could also be down on compression as the valve won't be sealing the cylinder on the compression stroke

I have cleaned all of my intake ports/valves on by Audi 2.0TFSI and its not that bad a job just messy and time consuming, here is what I did:

-Remove intake manifold and separator plates
-Use industrial strength oven cleaning gel and coat the inside of the intake port one at a time leave for 10mins or so
- I used a rifle cleaning kit and plenty of rags and brake cleaner in each intake port and the valves and repeat until clean
- Clean all the separator plates in the same way while they are out
- Then re-fit the plates and intake manifold after cleaning and a fit new intake gasket

Job done and the intake ports were like new when I finished

Another thing that can cause random missfires on idle on the tfsi engines is the complicated PCV system so that could be looked at too. Boost leaks could be another factor

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.