Caught 4x over the limit with car keys!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I'd say if you were hooked up & settled then you're grand. If you're at the side of the road in a layby then you're more likely to get into trouble.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I'd say if you were hooked up & settled then you're grand. If you're at the side of the road in a layby then you're more likely to get into trouble.

I wonder how many gyppo's they've nabbed for drinking in their caravans at various roadside locations ?

RS Darren

RMS Regular
Drives
E39 530d M-Sport

I could see the argument if it was a caravan, (parked up in a designated area, hooked up to 240v etc) but with the campervan you can basically park up anywere, when we were in the Isle Of Man there the other week for the TT we did stay in layby's, carparks, side of the road, some of the nights.. Had been out in bars and clubs and then back to the campervan to sleep, keys in vehicle. Would be nice to know exactly how the cops would deal with it..

CR

RMS Regular
Drives
A4 Avant
Re the campervan. Same goes if your camping I'n a tent at a site.

Car parked up beside the tent and your having a few beers, Your keys will be I'n your pocket or I'n the tent.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Re the campervan. Same goes if your camping I'n a tent at a site.

Car parked up beside the tent and your having a few beers, Your keys will be I'n your pocket or I'n the tent.

Wasnt there some people here or J44 who got charged with DIC at a campsite ? Same scenario as you mention with the tent etc.

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
to be honest fellas unless the car was running or you were in the driver seat with the keys any good barraster or solicitor would probably get you off. i know a fella that was so drunk when the cop opened the van he fell out. he got a 6 month ban.... disgusting all the same as the particular fella is a pr1ck!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
to be honest fellas unless the car was running or you were in the driver seat with the keys any good barraster or solicitor would probably get you off. i know a fella that was so drunk when the cop opened the van he fell out. he got a 6 month ban.... disgusting all the same as the particular fella is a pr1ck!

Goes back to the same old thing though. Yes justice of some form may prevail, assuming you can afford to buy it. How often do you see murderers, rapists, paedo's, terrorists etc having to fork out for a defence in court ?

davey21

RMS Regular
was in a mates car about eight years ago, parked on the street outside my house we got in for a smoke ( november time ) both lit, police pulled up said about us racing around the estate, i quite smarty said ok if thats the case the bonnet will be warm the policeman agreed felt the bonnet was stone cold, (car hadn t moved ) he s was for giving us a clip around the ear but the women wasn thaving any of it. mate got banned and fined. ****ers

skybluearmy

RMS Member
It would be great if we could have the actual law on this from any Solicitor members.

The Road Traffic (NI)Order 1995.
Article 16 - 1 If a person-
:innocent: Drives or attempts to drive a motor vehicle on a road or other public place, or
(b) is in charge of a motor vehicle on a road or other public place,
after consuming so much alcohol that the proportin of it in his breath, blood or urine exceeds the prescribed limit he is guilt of an offence.

Simple enough.

Karlos Da Jackle

RMS Regular
Drives
PUG 306+GSI CARL
:innocent: Drives or attempts to drive a motor vehicle on a road or other public place, or
after consuming so much alcohol that the proportin of it in his breath, blood or urine exceeds the prescribed limit he is guilt of an offence.

Simple enough.

Think they could do with you educating some police officers then. With teh horror stories i've heard,lol.

EEeee sorry misread that.

So yeah basically if the car is parked in a public Place and you have the keys, your screwed. Your in Charge.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
So it boils down to their definition of in charge.

Giving them a free reign to do whatever they want really.

alpha-dog

RMS Regular

Simple enough.

so youre saying if i went to england for a stag doo, was absolutly drunk had my house/car keys then there is a possiblity of me being charged with a drink driving offense?

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Dont be a tit. Unless your car is there with you. No. There has to be reasonable assumption that you would be likely to drive. Not much chance if you're in a different country.

rollinstone

RMS Regular
Drives
Old man car
He's kinda lucky I suppose, common sense way of dealing with this is "You're very lucky you could get done for this loose the books etc, now do you want to give me your keys and pick them up in the peeler station in the morning?", not that I abdicate this but it is more common sense than other ways of dealing with it. Also it would b immensely unlikely for you to be sauntering about drunk in belfast, bangor, l'derry etc and some peeler to stop you, search you, see you have car keys and lift you, that sounds like an immense cluster and generally the undecent thing to do. From any police officer I have met, drink driving yes completely unacceptable however the whole having keys on you but not going to drive the car most seem to be in a similar frame of mind to myself. If you see someone on the street however drunk get into a car you do have a duty of care to make sure they don't fire the keys in the ignition and go on a midnight rampage.

tomah

RMS Regular
Drives
Acura MDX
I'm in shock reading this. I don't drink and don't hang around much with those who drink, so a lot of this is new to me.

There are some absolutely ridiculous stories on here. I'm not saying they're not true, but if they are then this country is more Commie than I thought.

If you have caused no harm or loss to anyone, then how can it be a crime? It's not. And anyone involved with the law in any shape or form should be ashamed to convict someone of something that has caused no harm or loss.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I'm in shock reading this. I don't drink and don't hang around much with those who drink, so a lot of this is new to me.

There are some absolutely ridiculous stories on here. I'm not saying they're not true, but if they are then this country is more Commie than I thought.

If you have caused no harm or loss to anyone, then how can it be a crime? It's not. And anyone involved with the law in any shape or form should be ashamed to convict someone of something that has caused no harm or loss.

They do it on a daily basis with most motoring offences. I guess that' why they call them offences instead of crimes.

What is a crime ? something they've made up so they can fine you.

Sailorbaz

RMS Regular
Scotland/Co Tyrone/ Rio de Janiero, Brasil!
Drives
E46 CSL and F10
You could go on and on here, I always take the keys with me when staying at B&B's/Hotels frig, even mates houses with the fear of someone letting themselves into my room, nabbing the keys and heading off for a joyride (Unless the hotel room has a safe, then I 'might' use that) I of course have no intention whatsoever of driving anywhere but I still have the keys on me, I might even through my jacket into the car when I get back so I don't have to carry it down from the room in the morning with my case etc. Just a thought, I've been following this thread with interest.

Karlos Da Jackle

RMS Regular
Drives
PUG 306+GSI CARL
so youre saying if i went to england for a stag doo, was absolutly drunk had my house/car keys then there is a possiblity of me being charged with a drink driving offense?

Dont be a tit. Unless your car is there with you. No. There has to be reasonable assumption that you would be likely to drive. Not much chance if you're in a different country.

Have to agree with Ben here,lol. Your taking things a bit far,heheheheheh

But yeah as stevie says, It boils down to the officers, and their defination of you in cahrge would be is your in sight of the car probably, or near/close to the car.

Which in turn probably even means if you say lived in a terrace house in Belfast, car parked on the road, and you drinking in the front garden/patio area. then your likely to be nicked if you have the keys on you.

alpha-dog

RMS Regular
Have to agree with Ben here,lol. Your taking things a bit far,heheheheheh

But yeah as stevie says, It boils down to the officers, and their defination of you in cahrge would be is your in sight of the car probably, or near/close to the car.

Which in turn probably even means if you say lived in a terrace house in Belfast, car parked on the road, and you drinking in the front garden/patio area. then your likely to be nicked if you have the keys on you.

i know i agree with both of ya but what if you drove to a house party, few people you know some you dont know. then you decide to get a carry out keep your car at the house. want to keep your keys on ya because you dont know half the ****s there. the protectors of ulster comes, know youre drunk searchs ya and find your keys. will you still be charged?

or will it still deptends on how much of a **** the police whats to be?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.