Changing taxi soon....mercedes advice?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

mthompo

RMS Regular
Drives
Too much...
Ok folks so thinking of changing the old faithful passat taxi here in the next month or two?

20170102_163535.jpg

Shes served me well for past year but fancy a change and being a lazy git i wpuld prefere an auto this time around.

So question is anybody have any experience with either the w211 e class or the w204 c class which yous would think would be a more reliable taxi for me giving less bother etc etc id say im willing to spend up to 5k along with my passat value (prob 1.5k)

Thanks in advance

mthompo

RMS Regular
OP
mthompo
Drives
Too much...
I used my last 2005 e320cdi as a taxi a couple of years ago. Brilliant car for it.

What was the mpg like on the 320cdi? Was looking at the 220cdi but worried might be underpowered

mboyle290

RMS Regular
Drives
'91 Corolla GTi
Mpg wasn't something I kept an eye on tbh. I only put in an extra £10 a night compared to the 1.9 diesel saab I used before it

Steviegsi

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 M3
Try and get a facelift w211.... the early cars have a few electrical problems. 05 onwards I think are the ones to go for.

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Boring answer... couldn't you get a fresher low miled octavia or similar for the budget? Might serve you better.

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
Mpg wasn't something I kept an eye on tbh. I only put in an extra £10 a night compared to the 1.9 diesel saab I used before it

would a tenner a night not eat into overal profits on a taxi as the margins are rubbish to start with

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom

would a tenner a night not eat into overal profits on a taxi as the margins are rubbish to start with

I would have thought the same. 200 quid a month is a lot to just let go. My dad had a 320 and was no good on fuel, but ya really don't need a 3.2 taxi

jimcupra

RMS Regular
Imo your mad unless your getting good executive work to warrant an e class. The way this job is going I know I'm lucky to clear £3-50 an hour at the moment. I know 2 guys with e320s and they are getting mid 20s.I would be looking at a Prius, if it's an auto you want.

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
No disrepect we have taxi drivers arriving at the garage to get work done and tbh they are the biggest messers ever, it is only through time i have realised they litterally do not have the money to maintain. Something needs to change for you guys

brendy

RMS Regular
No disrepect we have taxi drivers arriving at the garage to get work done and tbh they are the biggest messers ever, it is only through time i have realised they litterally do not have the money to maintain. Something needs to change for you guys
Given that most are experts of everything, Im amazed they resorted to taxiing. (bar Jimcupra as ive not met you).

mthompo

RMS Regular
OP
mthompo
Drives
Too much...

Unfortunately not much can be done people just have tightened there belts and thats it see more and more walking now rather than jumping into the taxi. Saying that i do disagree with people not maintaining their taxi....like mine is serviced every 10k and the mechanic is told to do whatever need needs done and i just get my bill at the end (trust him to not take the piss was a customer of mine for years) i just pay the bill and the cars kept right wants for nothing at the end of the day i see my car as my tool without it i cant work so it gets whatever is needed right away even down to my tyres 4 yokohama tyres not cheap rubbish. Look after the car and it looks after you never lay down or let me down.

mthompo

RMS Regular
OP
mthompo
Drives
Too much...
Given that most are experts of everything, Im amazed they resorted to taxiing. (bar Jimcupra as ive not met you).
Ive been in motor trade all my life and could probably get my old job back tomorrow if i wanted but my reason for taxing is family issues i needed/need to be flexible and most jobs dont allow whereas i can work when and what i require with taxing

Boksic

RMS Regular

He's a c unit.. Lol. Nah he must be OK because his stories and opinions give me a good giggle at times on here. I might start taking taxis in Ballymena to maybe bump into him, the miserable oul *******. Think he has a similar twisted sense of humour to me.

More on topic, I thought the 3.2's were pretty poor mpg ways? Could you not nearly get the same mpg out of a tfsi VAG saloon/estate and have a bit of craic when you're not working?

Wild Thing

RMS Regular

Unfortunately not much can be done people just have tightened there belts and thats it see more and more walking now rather than jumping into the taxi. Saying that i do disagree with people not maintaining their taxi....like mine is serviced every 10k and the mechanic is told to do whatever need needs done and i just get my bill at the end (trust him to not take the piss was a customer of mine for years) i just pay the bill and the cars kept right wants for nothing at the end of the day i see my car as my tool without it i cant work so it gets whatever is needed right away even down to my tyres 4 yokohama tyres not cheap rubbish. Look after the car and it looks after you never lay down or let me down.
Fair play to you, if there were more like you, taxiing would not be such a bad thing. Maybe it just the mind set round co. armagh

mthompo

RMS Regular
OP
mthompo
Drives
Too much...
Fair play to you, if there were more like you, taxiing would not be such a bad thing. Maybe it just the mind set round co. armagh

I think its just my background makes me aware of the importance of looking after the car like you say ive experienced taxi drivers that would rather fit second hand parts 2 or 3 times rather than fixing a car properly for a few more ££ or using the wrong oil because its a fiver cheaper makes no sense at all

jimcupra

RMS Regular
That's why I'm retraining once I get my hgv I'm gone. It's getting worse I have lost 60 a week from the meters came in. As you well know ballymena people hate spending money :p.
erm...... why on earth don't you stack shelves for twice the money Jim? That's shocking!

mthompo

RMS Regular
OP
mthompo
Drives
Too much...
That's why I'm retraining once I get my hgv I'm gone. It's getting worse I have lost 60 a week from the meters came in. As you well know ballymena people hate spending money :p.

Flip thats bad jim we went through quiet period ourselves when meters were fitted but picked up again....should come up here ;)

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
Guys is it not the same with any business, if you try and compete with the cheapest you are on a destination to fail but if you stand up look people in the eye and ask a fair price, people respect that. service and punctuality mean a lot. Sorry Mr T to derail your thread but i find this interesting

mthompo

RMS Regular
OP
mthompo
Drives
Too much...
Guys is it not the same with any business, if you try and compete with the cheapest you are on a destination to fail but if you stand up look people in the eye and ask a fair price, people respect that. service and punctuality mean a lot. Sorry Mr T to derail your thread but i find this interesting

Your ok....I totally agree with what your saying. Tbh when the meters first came in myself and the owner of the firm i worked with sat down and worked out a tarriff and we are not the cheapest in our area there is a few companies cheaper what we done instead was ask a bit more and added some cars as our downfall was availability, very small local firm. This has worked for us like i said we arent the cheapest but we are one of the busiest because we are there on time and now have the availability to service are area, it has worked . Im defo not getting the 3.50 an hour like jim (well on average there is some nights i suppose) now im not raking it in but its enough for me to get by on i myself would be reconsidering if i was making that and a loss each week.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.