cheats to pass the MOT test that worked

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Markhall

RMS Regular
Drives
Ax gt, defender
Has anyone ever done any wee bodges to get their car through the MOT and the tester didn't pick up on it ?

A few years back I had an Altezza that had a set of coilovers in it
when it went for MOT the tester failed it because the bottom of the headlight was not at least 50cm from the ground
I had never heard of this mot rule and thought this was crazy. I went home and measured it at 48.5 cm.
No amount of oiling and cleaning would get the height adjusters to move on the coilovers and I wasn't buying a full set of standard springs and shocks just for the MOT.
I live about 10 minutes from the mot centre so I came up with a cunning plan
I jacked the car up fully so the front springs were at full extension. I then cut two blocks of Mahogany and cable tied them between the springs to raise it up. when i set the car back on its wheels it was at 52cm :grinning:
i booked the retest and drove over slowly. Went in and the guy that was retesting said he couldn't believe that i was actually failed for that. it was an old rule that wasn't enforced much. anyway he measured the height and i was on my way. Straight home and removed the blocks
Mark 1 - MOT - 0

Gobsheene

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini&Corolla
I had a cunning plan to disguise the EML that was constantly lit on my 182 since fitting a decat.

I had two packets of cig papers jammed in the speedo binnical so "i didn't loose them".

Wouldn't have failed for the EML anyway, would have for the decat, but it got through twice like that!

KevM

RMS Regular
Put one through on Monday. I was sitting waiting in the queue for the lane & realised the dipped beam was far too high shining on the car in front, so set the level to '2' and got it passed on the beam test. Flicked it back to Zero before heading to the passenger seat for the rest

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
Many moons ago my horn decided to quit working just for the test, it was working an hour before. I shouted 'beep beep' out the window and the tester was laughing his nuts off. Failed on a broken spring anyway so didn't make any odds.

Michael M

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golfs
I knew a track rod end had a bit of play and forgot to change it before the test so got the wife to take it through and it passed. He did say to her about it after the test.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Many moons ago i had to take an old scrapper through that needed a headlamp repair panel. Ordered the panel a week in advance and went down to collect it a couple of days before the test. They had forgotten to order it so got it ordered it and was to arrive on the morning of the test. So in preperation, i cut out the old panel and prepped it up to put the new one in. Panel was late in so i ended up driving to the test with one headlamp in the car and the other plus the repair panel on the passenger floor. Got stopped by the cops on the way to the test centre who were laughing their heads off at me heading to the mot with one light. There were a load of squaddies with the cops at a checkpoint and they had a right laugh all together about this. Anyway, got to the test centre, explained what the craic was, did the test fully expecting to fail and he gave me a pass plus a notice to get it sorted within 7 days.
I told the boys back at the checkpoint that she passed no bother and that just cracked them up even more.
Not a bodge but hey, i got it through....

simy

RMS Regular
I know someone who bonded in the head of a wheel bolt because the hub was stripped.
Ed-Miliband-quizzical-e1328047547995.jpg

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Various efforts worthy of a blue peter badge to sort the clocks on imports with dual readings

Paid also.

Had to put planks of wood down to get a blue 200sx into mallusk for a retest mot. It passed. Although he didn't put it on the rollers even though it was in for brakes out of balance.

eamon343

RMS Regular
MOT was at night and I think it was the first i drove it at night for a while so never noticed the Airbag light until i was queuing up and all i had was an empty chewing gum packet, stuffed it behind the light cover

The headlight adjusters where all broken too, so i aligned the headlights myself off a wall using a few well placed self tappers and duck tape.

And the same car failed for a bit of rust on the rear cross member, so fixed that properly and on the way to the mot center the back box came disconnected and was knocking about on the axle right beside the new metal to be checked, mot guy laughed and passed it anyway, a pity pass is still a pass

Gambit

RMS Regular
I knew a track rod end had a bit of play and forgot to change it before the test so got the wife to take it through and it passed. He did say to her about it after the test.

like the old MOT tests before they had the shakers, tester would say wiggle the steering, you always give it a quarter turn before starting the wiggle

_Stu_

RMS Regular
The old Vectra B had the rear ARB bushes hanging out of her and I only noticed the day of the test. No chance of getting new bushes and I wasn't fussed on paying out anymore on the car as it was very rough. Removed the ARB and wrapped the area the bush goes on to with lots (and I mean loads) of black insulating tape to make it thicker and the knackered bushes sat as tight as new ones.

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
Many moons ago my horn decided to quit working just for the test, it was working an hour before. I shouted 'beep beep' out the window and the tester was laughing his nuts off. Failed on a broken spring anyway so didn't make any odds.

The guy who bought the focus had a similar dilemma, but a van next to him beeped at the same time and he passed.

Stupid MOMO wheel.

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Bosses defender failed on too little rear brake effort and everything was replaced brake wise but little improvement on our rollers. Booked retest anyway and 10 mins before appointment I drove her down the M12 left foot braking. Pulled into Craigavon MOT with smoke beating off all 4 wheels. Tester said smell that thing and laughed, put her in the rollers and it passed. Happy days.

KevM

RMS Regular
The guy who bought the focus had a similar dilemma, but a van next to him beeped at the same time and he passed.

Stupid MOMO wheel.

Iv had the MOMO wheel dilemma also. Had to wire the horn to a redundant headlight washer button (front bumper was changed for a facelift one without jets) on the dash. I apologised for the wrong symbol on the button, tester told me he didnt care what was on the button as long as the horn worked

RevT

RMS Regular
Rear axle worn down in a 306, failed on too much play. Usually a costly fix at £200-300 to get a refurbed axle. Stripped it down, cut up a coke can and wrapped it round, making sure it stayed in place with a wrap of masking tape. Built back up and was perfect for the test.

Also couldn't get the foglight working on my Jap AE86 so stuck it in reverse when asked to turn on rear fog, red bulb worked wonders.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.