Citroen ZX 2.0i 16v

PAULW

RMS Regular
Fantastic, always loved the ZX. The turbo diesel seemed a flying machine all those years ago

DubsterACS

RMS Regular
OP
DubsterACS
Drives
911C2,ZX16v
After selling this car in Feb 2016, and then selling the M3 in Nov 16 (still pains me to type those words!) I went searching the classifieds one night to see what was out there and to my amazement, the ZX was listed again on carandclassic.....so i contacted the guy (same guy I sold it to!) turns out he needed the space as he had just purchased a 991 GT3, we did a deal and I bought it back :grinning:

davey-dimples

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330D
After selling this car in Feb 2016, and then selling the M3 in Nov 16 (still pains me to type those words!) I went searching the classifieds one night to see what was out there and to my amazement, the ZX was listed again on carandclassic.....so i contacted the guy (same guy I sold it to!) turns out he needed the space as he had just purchased a 991 GT3, we did a deal and I bought it back :grinning:

Glad to see this motor back - love them :cool:

Woodcutter

RMS Regular

Nice!

I would love to find my old ZX Volcane, I sold it when I still lived in Scotland so I doubt I'll ever see it again! SDZ7378 and the number is registered, so it's still on the road somewhere!

DubsterACS

RMS Regular
OP
DubsterACS
Drives
911C2,ZX16v
I have a super sprint exhaust for this, pretty sure its brand new if uv any interest in it

Oh interesting, I do want to change the exhaust. Can you pm me some pictures please?

Any more progress on this @DubsterACS ? Literally can't remember the last time I saw one of these, especially in such good condition.

Not really any progress since buying it and getting it home, which was a wee adventure in itself. Picked it up in Woodbridge outside Ipswich and drove back down to the M25 and then to H Wycombe to view another car I was interested in buying - a Mk2 Golf GTI 8v in Royal Blue. Advert read right, and mileage was low with full history but when i turned up the car was not as described - not bad but at the money it needed too many things sorting.

Also, during the test drive (I know this next statement might get me banned from Dubshed etc!!!) I couldn't help but think.......I have just paid less than half the price of this Golf for the ZX but the ZX is by far the better car! Faster, better handling, more modern inside and better condition. I know it doesn't have the heritage or the following the Golf GTI has and I'm not saying the GTI is a bad car - anyone who knows me knows I love Mk2 GTi's, (I previously owned an Oak Green 16v and Atlas Grey 8v) - but honestly, driving the ZX 16v the 600 mile journey home proved what a great and underrated car it is.

There are a couple of wee things I want to get sorted on it, unfortunately the seller never told me the front driver's side front lamp had been hit by a stone and broke so need to source one of those and also get it to my mechanic to give it the once over. I would also like to upgrade the brakes slightly at some point as these are the only performance item that let it down - good initial bite but fade quite quickly.

BM-Rod

RMS Regular
Drives
E39 M5/VR6 GOLF
It's been a long time since i seen one of these. I had a green one many years ago, great wee car they are.
27062008089.jpg

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
It's been a long time since i seen one of these. I had a green one many years ago, great wee car they are.
27062008089.jpg

Stunning in green, I would love one of these in that very colour! They did a Volcane in that colour too, but back then I didn't like the green.

BM-Rod

RMS Regular
Drives
E39 M5/VR6 GOLF
Back then I didn't like green either, I ended up swapping it for a Xantia what was I thinking. I think I sold the Xantia for £500. Wish I had the ZX now.

kristen

RMS Regular
Drives
Meganers250
thats it there has been lying in my workshop for many years hence the dust lol pm if interested

DubsterACS

RMS Regular
OP
DubsterACS
Drives
911C2,ZX16v
So because Photobucket decided to go crazy with image hosting, and to tie in with actually starting work on this car i thought i would resurrect this thread. Not much has happened since I bought the ZX back in December 2016 other than taking the ZX to Ballymena CarFest in June 2017 along with my 2 other cars at the time - Mk5 Golf GTI (now sold) and Mercedes A220d 4Matic Motorsport Edition Auto. Managed to get a few photos before the rain came on.

Untitled by Graham Thompson, on Flickr

by Graham Thompson, on Flickr

Also found more detailed photos of the car from when the old advert when I sold it the first time. I do love the old 90s interiors!

ZX Final Clean by Graham Thompson, on Flickr

And of course some exterior shots:

As i said, there has been a bit of work done to the car recently and more to come in order to keep it good so stay tuned!

Last edited:

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
My first car was a red 1992 ZX Avantage in 1997, my second was a black 1995 5dr Volcane in 1998, so I have a huge soft spot for these wee cars. That looks absolutely lovely.

Id love one to tuck away myself!

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Have so much love for these!

As probably mentioned earlier in this thread, my mate had one back in 2000 and it’s the first time I was proper scared going fast in a car lol. The thing handled so well!
Also remember us putting it on 2 wheels one night driving home from the pub and him getting his apex clippping a little bit wrong

zafturbo

RMS Regular
I remember having a great want for one back when they were new but I just couldn’t afford one at the time and had 2 ax gt instead .i really was mighty pissed the day I was trading in my first gt to the Citroen dealer in Ballymena for my new 500 and they had a grey one for sale in the showroom sitting beside my gt .i genuinely was so annoyed at my dad for not letting me take extra finance at the time to buy the 16v .:weary_face:.:p

suckindiesel

RMS Regular
Drives
A6 Allroad
Just reading your comment about the mk2 gti Graham...so true. Even a td volcane would have seen off a mk2 gti down a back road, never mind this. Cars like this were ignored by most as they sat slightly left of field, yet in my eyes a far more worthy of the title hot hatch. Still one of the nicest most responsive handling cars Iv ever owned. I sold my 1.4 zx for a 1.6 mk4 Golf (which was current at the time) after being given some money. Remember driving the Golf home thinking there was something wrong with the steering/suspension, and the zx was a quicker car too...realised what I’d done and ended up going to a Volcane. Also remember a BB outing in the late 90s...one of the dads was driving us in his v early zx td Avantage (which we used to laugh at at this stage), one of the young leaders had a 1.4 16v Corsa B, which he promptly took off like a maniac in, he was pretty pissed when the Zx was still stuck to his bumper down all the twisty B roads!

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Just reading your comment about the mk2 gti Graham...so true. Even a td volcane would have seen off a mk2 gti down a back road, never mind this. Cars like this were ignored by most as they sat slightly left of field, yet in my eyes a far more worthy of the title hot hatch. Still one of the nicest most responsive handling cars Iv ever owned. I sold my 1.4 zx for a 1.6 mk4 Golf (which was current at the time) after being given some money. Remember driving the Golf home thinking there was something wrong with the steering/suspension, and the zx was a quicker car too...realised what I’d done and ended up going to a Volcane. Also remember a BB outing in the late 90s...one of the dads was driving us in his v early zx td Avantage (which we used to laugh at at this stage), one of the young leaders had a 1.4 16v Corsa B, which he promptly took off like a maniac in, he was pretty pissed when the Zx was still stuck to his bumper down all the twisty B roads!

I had mates who laughed at me when I got the Volcane TD, but I didn't care as I knew it was a great car that punched well above its weight.

For me they were the first diesel hot hatch.

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
I had mates who laughed at me when I got the Volcane TD, but I didn't care as I knew it was a great car that punched well above its weight.

For me they were the first diesel hot hatch.

The best car I’ve owned,loved my TD
Great handling thing too I thought