Companies good for remaps?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
All those honest folk who have remaps, and have actually told their insurance, who are you with? Admiral dont actually give the option of a remap, but just an engine chip in one of three categories; 0-10%, 11-25% and 26% plus. Obviously a remap would fall in the last one, but when its selected they wont even quote. And when the second is selected, it goes up a mere £900 ^o) .

Johnski

RMS Regular
If you speak to them on the phone about your remap you'll find it wont be as bad as that...

Also try bell.co.uk and sister company of admiral, if all else fails theres adrian flux.

I've had experiences with all three and i'd say flux are the best....(y)

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Id thought about speaking on the phone, but i know when they hear "115hp to 150hp", there'd just be a slight chuckle on their end of the line.

Does your experience with each include remapping?

Martyn

RMS Regular
I'm with bell... My remap falls into the second cat...

They insured it for a mere £23 extra a year....

You thinking of a map lyons?

Johnski

RMS Regular
Lyons said:
Id thought about speaking on the phone, but i know when they hear "115hp to 150hp", there'd just be a slight chuckle on their end of the line.

Does your experience with each include remapping?

The one with flux includes a engine conversion and admiral is with a tuning box on my old focus....(y)

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
lenny26 said:
You thinking of a map lyons?

If i keep the Bora for another year at least, yes. Im experienced enough behind the wheel to handle a bit of power now, and having a car which doesnt do 60 under 10seconds is depressing me.

big cyril

RMS Regular
Lyons said:
If i keep the Bora for another year at least, yes. Im experienced enough behind the wheel to handle a bit of power now, and having a car which doesnt do 60 under 10seconds is depressing me.

What is the 0-60? - it can't be much over 10?

Johnski

RMS Regular
Lyons said:

Get it done lyonso....at least try to get a few quotes from the companies i mentioned and then take it from there.....(y)

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
big cyril said:
What is the 0-60? - it can't be much over 10?

10.7s or so. Its a minor issue, but its something which annoys me just. The power available at overtaking and on the motorway is ample.

I cant change company until December when my year is up either. And i just wouldnt even consider not telling the insurance.

I could pick up a 130 Passat for not much more than my car. That might be the cheaper option.

big cyril

RMS Regular
Lyons said:
10.7s or so. Its a minor issue, but its something which annoys me just. The power available at overtaking and on the motorway is ample.

I cant change company until December when my year is up either. And i just wouldnt even consider not telling the insurance.

I could pick up a 130 Passat for not much more than my car. That might be the cheaper option.

Passat 130 wouldn't be any quicker really, and probably not handle as well although they are bigger with more space inside.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Space is good, i have a big car fetish i think :oops: .

Certainly a second quicker on paper...

Johnski

RMS Regular
Lyons said:

You can cancel your insurance wiht any company before your 1 year term....

I'd get a few quotes and get it done, for just over 200 for the remap i doubt you'll be disappointed....:cool:

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Johnski said:
You can cancel your insurance wiht any company before your 1 year term....

You lose your NC for that year but ;)

Ive already had to do it with the 306, missing out on 7months.

big cyril

RMS Regular
Right, here's a thought - instead of getting two cars just get an old shape Audi S4 - it will fulfill your limo cravings and as well is as quick as most things and is so subtle car thieves will think it is a tdi and leave it alone.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
LOL, as nice as it would be, i wouldnt drive/want such a powerful car at my age. Nothing to aspire to as i get older.

Plus, i really need a diesel for work. AND, rear legroom in that era of A4 is crap ;).

big cyril

RMS Regular
Lyons said:
LOL, as nice as it would be, i wouldnt drive/want such a powerful car at my age. Nothing to aspire to as i get older.

Plus, i really need a diesel for work. AND, rear legroom in that era of A4 is crap ;).

Rear space is poor and the boot is shallower because of the rear diff.
330d then? - will be quick enough and isn't supposed to swallow it's own turbo as much.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Again, too powerful for me- and consumption isnt as great as id like either.

I think ill investigate mortgages before i make any hasty decisions.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Lol, its going to take a lot more than that for Lyons to get his head around them (y).

106lad

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 GT2 / 182
Lyons said:
I have a concience but.

so do i but not about a mere remap!

Vauxhall didnt even pick up on mine n they tested ecus n pumps when it was in for warranty work last week

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Johnski said:
If you speak to them on the phone about your remap you'll find it wont be as bad as that...

Looks like you were right. Instead of £900 more, it was a mere £601!

Dust that idea then!

Johnski

RMS Regular
Lyons said:
Looks like you were right. Instead of £900 more, it was a mere £601!

Dust that idea then!

:eek: thats quite a bad quote fella.....who are you insured with again?:cool:

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
106lad said:
just do it and say nothing, good remaps cant be traced!! lol

If you're driving around with your engine remapped without telling your insurance company, you're no better than any un-insured driver out there.

I'm with Direct Line and they charge an extra £180 (I think) for it.(y)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.