Companies good for remaps?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Johnski

RMS Regular
Lyons said:

:worried: thought it would be much cheaper, i'd try flux at the end of the year if your still keen on the remap, otherwise just start looking for a nice 320d:p (y)

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
i dont know what to do to be honest, my heads just in a total pickle. I dont think i should get he 320d for a year, until i get a house sorted. However, i wouldnt want to keep the Bora for another year. A TDi 130 Passat can be got for the same price that the Bora is worth, that way id be losing no real money.

I hate cars.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Lyons, I don't think a passat will fix your cravings at all......you seem to be like me when it comes to cars, whatever you have will never be enough!

My mate from G'port bought an Imola red 320d sport recently and it is the dogs danglies, looks great and goes really well to; do it!!;)

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Fear not, the Passat is only a temporary measure until i have a house, and some more money in my bank! There will be a Titan Silver 320d next year ;).

Its not really a Passat i want, but its the only thing that ticks all the boxes in that price bracket.

Twain

RMS Regular
Getting a house and running it = no money for nice beemer btw, harsh but may indeed be true depending on how well you get paid in your line of work.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
The house would be for investment purposes. Id be staying at home in the mean time and renting out.

coogsyrsv

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 5er..YAM R1!
id get the remap done and say nothing to the insurance company, its not as if your gonna be street racing!! drag racing!! your not gonna have massive power gains any way!! nothing that will make huge difference to your cars performance or endanger you in any way, i dont understand why the companies put insurance up so far for such a small power gain in a diesel!! i suppose they think when you ring and say you have a remapp that you are not totally happy with the speed you are getting so you have remapped it to go faster, ie liablity!!! but this is never the case!! its just adding that extra power because you can!! knowone has to know and know one will ever know as the remap is undectectable unles they have the standard map to check and compare with yours if you are involved in a smash!! and as for the 320d unless its the newer type 150bhp which still has turbo lag compare to the 130 tdi a4 which i bought after driving the dead as hecter 320d!! and also blows its own turbos with no real warning!! a4 feels better but has limited leg room front and rear, me being 6ft 3" no matter what way i adjusted the steering wheel up or down my knees would hit it when cornering...but push seat back and lower it down n it was nearly sorted!! so IMO remap the bora to 150bhp!! obd ballymena could do a good map for ya giving you plenty torque off the mark, and also easier on fuel!! then you can buy your house and rent it out, maybe buy another house after that using the 1st house as collateral!! and keep the bora with no probs of turbo failure and reasonably powerfull with a 150 remap!! just my thoughts anyway!! ps im bored tonight lol

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
coogsyrsv said:
id get the remap done and say nothing to the insurance company

I wouldnt (y) . I might as well be driving without insurance at all then. I wouldnt be dishonest about it either, as it could come back and haunt you in the long run.

Regarding the 320, it was actually an A4 130 i originally wanted. But upon finding out the spec was crap (not even electric rear windows as standard), i opted for the BM. It has rear electric windows, climate control, cruise control, PDC all as standard. Also fancied a change of marque away from VAG too.

edit; that sounds like ive bought it!

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
coogsyrsv said:
id get the remap done and say nothing to the insurance company

Well you're a liability and one of the reasons why insurance is as high as it is then. Why do you have to be so dishonest?

In addition, a 150bhp 320d is a far superior car than a boaty A4TDI, plus it's rwd!

Rob

RMS Regular
Drives
Amarok V6
Lyons lad, have you thought about a Bluefin? Totally undetectable as it just plugs in and alters the map, and can be taken off again at a moment's notice via the diagnostic port. Plug and play :grinning: I'd just chance it to be honest.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
This is in place of a remap? Surely everything is traceable, the assessors will be able to tell any changes to the ECU?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
just looked at the site... my car is neither a Ford nor a Mini :p

coogsyrsv

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 5er..YAM R1!
Lyons said:
I wouldnt (y) . I might as well be driving without insurance at all then. I wouldnt be dishonest about it either, as it could come back and haunt you in the long run.

Regarding the 320, it was actually an A4 130 i originally wanted. But upon finding out the spec was crap (not even electric rear windows as standard), i opted for the BM. It has rear electric windows, climate control, cruise control, PDC all as standard.

a4 has all of the above!! apart from rear electric windows but as you be driving in the front seat this should not be a problem!! dual digital c/c i dont think the bm has it!!!but each of us to our own!!! the bm is bland and basic looking inside and dead as hectar imo!!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
On paper, its quicker than the A4 ;). The A4 SE or Sport certainly doesnt have PDC as standard, and i think cruise is extra too!

coogsyrsv

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 5er..YAM R1!
Woodcutter said:
Well you're a liability and one of the reasons why insurance is as high as it is then. Why do you have to be so dishonest?

In addition, a 150bhp 320d is a far superior car than a boaty A4TDI, plus it's rwd!

remapping my car and not telling the insurance compant is hardly one the reasons for high insurance premiums!! how many cases have you heard of were assessors have found a car to be remapped!! none, and as for being dishonest?? who is being dishonest when the insurers charge you a high premium because of other peoples accidents, and high risk areas were cars can get stolen etc even though it doesnt apply to ya!!
also the 150 320d being superior to the boaty a4 tdi, mines a sport and feels a far beter car than the bm!! which i felt aqua planed at the sight of a wet road!!and felt very underpowered through out the range!! just didnt suit me when it came to buying but each of us to our own!!

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
coogsyrsv said:
remapping my car and not telling the insurance compant is hardly one the reasons for high insurance premiums!! how many cases have you heard of were assessors have found a car to be remapped!! none, and as for being dishonest?? who is being dishonest when the insurers charge you a high premium because of other peoples accidents, and high risk areas were cars can get stolen etc even though it doesnt apply to ya!!
also the 150 320d being superior to the boaty a4 tdi, mines a sport and feels a far beter car than the bm!! which i felt aqua planed at the sight of a wet road!!and felt very underpowered through out the range!! just didnt suit me when it came to buying but each of us to our own!!

If you have an accident and are found to have the car remapped, you will not receive a penny in compensation, they will only pay out for anyone else you caused damage to.

I have a friend whose Dad works in insurance, and he said that any decent assessor will know what cars tend to be remapped, and they will check, at the end of the day they will do anything they can to get out of paying a claim. If they turn up and find an A4 TDI with a big fat set of rims, tinted windows, sound system etc and a young fella driving - they will almost definitley check it out for any signs of mods.

If you think you know better than the people who work in the insurance industry, and assess risk for a living, well good luck to you! :party:

As for the A4TDI vs 320d - I would still have the BM all day long unless the A4 was a 2.5TDI Quattro Sport. (y)

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
wouldn't bother teling them as it's an area they are never going to look at and find out about at the end of the day! in fact assesors wouldn't kow where to start looking to find if it's been redone

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
coogsyrsv said:
just didnt suit me when it came to buying but each of us to our own!!

Exactly, if everyone liked the same car it'd be a brave boring place (y) .

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Graham said:
wouldn't bother teling them as it's an area they are never going to look at and find out about at the end of the day! in fact assesors wouldn't kow where to start looking to find if it's been redone

Surely they're not as stupid as you'd think? They're gogint to try and find anything at all to save the company paying out. I would have expected them to have assessors that were well clued up.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
if i had a std tdi motor i'd certainly have it mapped and most deffinately wouldn't be telling them. do they have a lap top to plug into the wee thing and check for a remap against the std map ? if so fair enough but i wouldn't have thought it.

look at the diferent models of tdi and the differeing maps it's a lot i'd guess

also the mate wrecked his car and the front was smashed so he got the rear lowering out, pulled modded rear bumper and back box off, ripped other things off and left holes all over it. and the asesor ddn't even question it all lol the std airbox was even just set on top the of engine and was clearly understandable that it was never fitted.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Its easy to say they'd never find out, but i personally just wouldnt like to take the risk. If the car was written off, or someone put a claim in against you you'd wish you had told them.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
i'd agree with that in some mods, when the megane was lowered it was always on the back of my mind especially with the 16's on it as neither was insured and neither could be that easily changed in a bad smash but a remap can be done in seconds to put it back to normal if need be and cheaper to spend £200 for that very rare chance in the few years of ownership than 200 a year for ins

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.