Companies good for remaps?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Graham said:
do they have a lap top to plug into the wee thing and check for a remap against the std map ? if so fair enough but i wouldn't have thought it.

Yes mate, from what I can gather they have a laptop and a list of all the standard OEM settings for each car, if they think there may be a chance of mods to the car, they can hook it all up and check if the settings are the same, if they're not then they'll dig a bit deeper.

I personally wouldn't want to risk it. :confounded:

coogsyrsv

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 5er..YAM R1!
they have to have the standard map!! and even if they do who is to say that you didnt buy the car like that!! sorry oficer it felt under powered to me!! ther is no way what so ever that they can trace a remap!! believe me i know!! and as for the 2.5tdi quattro ? have you ever drivin 1? my a4 130 sport remapped to 175bhp feels far quicker than the 2.5 tdi quattro. as 4 wheel drive makes it seem slower!! and they are both putting out somewere near the same torque!!!

but thats getting of the subject... i didnt fancy the basic bland dead as hecter bmw 320d with its dodgy turbo n thats just me!! each to ther own as i said !!

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
if you own the car from new yes i understand the worry of remap but 2 mins puts it back to normal and if you buy a 2nd hand derv then how do you know the history of it as no one will tell you about a map especially if it's had a few owners!

is the map traceable via date and time if was done or does the ecu not hold such info ?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Graham said:
is the map traceable via date and time if was done or does the ecu not hold such info ?

That is the question.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
coogsyrsv said:
ther is no way what so ever that they can trace a remap!! believe me i know!!

Is that right, and how do you know that? ^o)

Do a bit of research mate, if you know what you're looking for it's simple to tell if a car has been remapped; unless it's a removable Revo system or Bluefin.

My car would be easily identified as being remapped, as it was done 3 years ago when the car was brand new, at that time the most common way to remap was to replace the OEM ECU.

Gambit

RMS Regular
Graham said:
if you own the car from new yes i understand the worry of remap but 2 mins puts it back to normal and if you buy a 2nd hand derv then how do you know the history of it as no one will tell you about a map especially if it's had a few owners!

thats a very good point. imagine if you a crash and the assessor said its been chipped. how could you explain that you didnt know it was chipped??

big cyril

RMS Regular
I reckon I'd not be happy with driving a car with undeclared remap as the doubt would always be there no matter how small.

As regards VAG tdi 130 vs BMW 320d - the BM feels slower than the VAG 1.9 because the VAG engine kicks in with a big wallop of torque low down which makes it shift but then it stops at about 3.5k rpm max, whereas the BMW 320d pulls much more smoothly all through the rev range and revs out in a very un-diesel like way and is actually considerably faster than the VAG even though you wouldn't believe it from driving them
eg 0-60 for A4 tdi130 is about ten seconds, the BM is less than nine.

But there is always the turbo to worry about with the BM.........

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.