Costs of owning and running a lorry

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

O.C.D

RMS Regular
Must say a friend runs a family business and are not short a penny at all. But the saying goes they pay the boys tight and asking for more results in 'take it or leave it that's all your getting'
Thats some attitude to have....saying that a lot of companies have this sh1t attitude, and a flash truck won't pay the mortgage or buy the groceries !

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Thats some attitude to have....saying that a lot of companies have this sh1t attitude, and a flash truck won't pay the mortgage or buy the groceries !
In the real world that's how it generally is .Spoke to a driver today of one of the biggest operators this side of the water and he told me they were on £7.00 an hour.Time my wage structure got changed lol.

O.C.D

RMS Regular
In the real world that's how it generally is .Spoke to a driver today of one of the biggest operators this side of the water and he told me they were on £7.00 an hour.Time my wage structure got changed lol.
Holy christ.!!

zafturbo

RMS Regular
I couldn't believe it personally.i didn't think any class 1 driver was getting less than £9-£10 an hour.He also told me they had to do 60+ hours every week .Cant work that one out yet ??

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
We used to just pay by trip but with OT and extras many of them where coming out with tight money.
One thing I will say is they all loved it, every one of them

KrisSRT

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf GTD
I couldn't believe it personally.i didn't think any class 1 driver was getting less than £9-£10 an hour.He also told me they had to do 60+ hours every week .Cant work that one out yet ??

Was it a Mcburney driver, I know they only get 7 pound odd and have to work those hours as well, **** that!

O.C.D

RMS Regular
It's easy to work out mate......the company they work for doesn't give a ballix and they turn a blind eye. 60+ hrs a week totally illegal !

zafturbo

RMS Regular
It's easy to work out mate......the company they work for doesn't give a ballix and they turn a blind eye. 60+ hrs a week totally illegal !
How do they ever get away with them hours.i know we stretch it a (little) but said driver said sure we are not driving all the time.Eh no but your still working !!

O.C.D

RMS Regular
^^Correct. ..still working.
We have drivers with us that have been driving for years and still don't fully understand tacho laws and the working time directive....Get the fek out and brush the yard or something they can comprehend !!!!

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
What are the restrictions on working and driving hours, plus mandatory breaks?

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
You need a uni degree to work it all out, but basically iirc 90 hours over 2 weeks and no more than X number of hours max in one week.
I've got 2 degrees so I'd say I could have a go at it! lol
That's great thanks for the info, explains why the 60+ a week thing above was so shocking

O.C.D

RMS Regular
What are the restrictions on working and driving hours, plus mandatory breaks?
Ah my God Andy i would be here all day typing and im a one finger typer. Its a minefield mate there are two sorts of rules run side by side ..one is The European Working time directive and Drivers hours regulations.
Heres a good read for you....Drivers Hours Regulations - Truck-Driver....... (Driving time)

And

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...y_Working_time_regulations_mobile_workers.pdf...... (Working time)

So Andy this is the very reason a lot of drivers get in bother with the rules because they cant be arsed to educate themselves enough or the holder of the "O" licence does not enforce them.

So Andy have a read and tell me what you think !

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
@O.C.D That is horrendous, how are you supposed to make any money (as an employer). Even at that, you are always going to be restricted on the hours that you can drive and therefore earn as an employee!

O.C.D

RMS Regular
@O.C.D That is horrendous, how are you supposed to make any money (as an employer). Even at that, you are always going to be restricted on the hours that you can drive and therefore earn as an employee!
Get with the right company and you can make great money as an employee ...legally of course.

O.C.D

RMS Regular
@Andy044 These rules were brought in to stop the cowboy operators beating the balls outta drivers and forcing them to do stupidly long hours.....i personally think these rules are great.

Steviegsi

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 M3
They're certainly a good idea, but as with everything the EU made the rules way too complicated.

As for the long hours thing, I don't know about anyone else, but Ive worked 60 hours+ in many jobs before I ever sat my ar$e in a lorry, and I'd guess plenty of others have too.... unless your a genius with a real well paid job, if there is money to be earned and you want to earn it, I don't see the problem. I'll happily swap for an easier way to do it, but for now I can't think of one.

Someone I know was trying to talk down to me one evening when they found out I was "just a lorry driver", after telling me about her job in sales driving around the place in her trouser suit being very important as a sales rep, then going home in the evening and replying to emails most of the night for the next day, she asked condescendingly what I could earn in a week. Turns out it was about double what she was on, and I reckon I have a whole lot less stress on my shoulders come bed time than she does. Silly cnut.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Going to get some flack for this but anyway....

@O.C.D what you're saying is all well and good but certain companies are propped up with other incomes, the logistics element of their business is a necessary evil but their main source of revenue comes from the selling of goods.

For a company who solely provides a service, in this case logistics in the form of transporting goods from A to B, making a profit of any reasonable amount is very very difficult and neigh on impossible if complying with regulations.
If you have one truck it might only make a company £100 profit per day but if you have 100 trucks, well that's where you actually turn a profit.

It's all well and good saying a driver should have this that and the other but in the real world not many transport companies can actually survive doing this, hence why so many work various moves just to try and stay afloat.

From a drivers perspective, if going to work and watching every minute you are there and getting your wages every week is all you want then working for a company who's core business is not the transport element is ideal really.
However if you share a passion for trucking and are keen to just drive then you can get all the work you can possibly handle working for a transport company. Just remember the margins for them are hugely different and that's why the role can vary so much from place to place.

Also I would like to add that I have never seen a company that does not try it's very best to comply to the rules & regs, having VOSA sitting in your office for a week is something no employer wants.

The bottom line is turning a healthy profit in a 'transport' company is very difficult indeed.

Last edited:

O.C.D

RMS Regular
Yeh i agree ..but making a healthier profit by doing things illegal seems to be an acceptable power for the course nowadays.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
O.C.D ,I take it you work for a company who deliver your own products ect and not for a general haulage company.The reason I'm asking is you seem very well educated in your legal requirements and you seem to stick to the rule.i.e tesco,wincanton(asda) ect.
Truth be told I cannot make good money trunking 2 units in Scotland everyday legally with the rates and fuel prices I have had to endure the past 5 years.
Maybe if you were in my shoes having to find £50k for 2 men's wages every year along with everything else involved to keep them in a job ,having to finance £100k trucks ect you might see it differently.i don't mean to come across ignorant saying that as its not ment like that but general haulage isn't worth a crap at times.

O.C.D

RMS Regular
O.C.D ,I take it you work for a company who deliver your own products ect and not for a general haulage company.The reason I'm asking is you seem very well educated in your legal requirements and you seem to stick to the rule.i.e tesco,wincanton(asda) ect.
Truth be told I cannot make good money trunking 2 units in Scotland everyday legally with the rates and fuel prices I have had to endure the past 5 years.
Maybe if you were in my shoes having to find £50k for 2 men's wages every year along with everything else involved to keep them in a job ,having to finance £100k trucks ect you might see it differently.i don't mean to come across ignorant saying that as its not ment like that but general haulage isn't worth a crap at times.
Fair play bud ..not sure how long you've run your own units but were these rules not in place when you started your own operation. I would have my nails bit down the knuckle with worry if i ran two or three units and didn't really know if my drivers were doing things legal because if there was an incident on the road and some innocent road user was killed because of the trucker being tired /overweight / speeding it would be me as well as the driver spending time in the Big house because im the "O" licence holder.....im not saying this is your story BTW.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.