Current insurance quotes

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Has anyone been noticing quotes are seriously high at the minute?

When I got the Golf in January, I put in for a couple of quotes for when my policy was up (next month now). I've just done the exact same and the prices are at least £200 more.

Anyone any explanation?

Al-mera

RMS Regular
Drives
Nissan Pulsar Au
Quotes are scandalous at the minute. Im hoping to get a new car in the next month and have been getting quotes for various ones, and compaired to the same quotes last year they have increased drastically.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Just did a few on mine there and they are a few hundread pound more than now :worried: FML

Hopefully they go down come November!

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
My renewal on my car with Directline was £300 more

Went with Greenlight who were nearly half the price of Directline

Directline told me that it was due to the number of claims made during our very cold winter - complete shame that I did a year with them, turned 25, gained another years NCB, no accidents and no claims yet still they try to sting me an extra £300

Tony@Greenlight

RMS Trader
Drives
Mini Cooper S Wk
Motor Insurance has been a blood bath over the last two years and it's reached the stage that insurers have been squeezed until their pips have actually came out.

It's been an ultra competitive marketplace for a prolonged period of time and whilst they have improved in terms of efficiencies, the claims costs have been high and are still rising. Keeping rates low for most Insurers has been at the expense of their shareholders, or reserves/capital held.

From what we've seen the rising cost of claims, in particular the high frequency of personal injury and theft claims due to the economic climate over the last couple of years has led to the withdrawal of several high profile companies (inc. HSBC, NIG) from the motor market.

In addition the market has shrunk due to mergers, which has led to fewer sources that policyholders can obtain cover from.

Insurers are analysing their statistics more than ever and aspects of risk profiles that are proven to be loss making are receiving either large hikes in premium/terms offered, or are being declined altogether.

With reserves being exhausted and investors not accepting loss leading approaches to buying in business at a loss, it is likely that there will be an increase this year. But providing claims costs don't continue to escalate further stability will be restored next year.

Greenlight's risk selection process has restricted the business that we could write due to driving experience and NCB requirements, along with certain vehicle exclusions. But this has so far helped to shield us from scheme culling and large rate hikes.

Our new business rates have increased slightly, but from the examples that i've been involved with so far we're talking of an average increase of around 10% at the most.

By and large we've managed to keep our rates at similar levels to last year for our existing customers who have remained claim free. There are no plans to hike by £300 in the same way that you are highlighting that Direct Line seem to have.

Experience and ownership of relevant performance cars is king these days and if you dont have performance experience (and dont wish to pay the earth) you need to think about a sensible staircase approach (ie. Golf Gti-T 150, to Golf Gti 200, to remapped 300BHP Golf Gti Edn 30) rather than jumping from a 1.2 Corsa to the remapped 300BHP GTi Edn 30.

If you drive a performance car and have experienced a hike, unlike some other providers we haven't came and gone from Northern Ireland. We've been covering Northern Ireland since early 2007 and have improved what we can offer along the way.

To borrow a phrase from one of your most noteable politicians "We (also) have'nt gone away.." and would be happy to help you.

Kind regards

Tony

Souleh

RMS Regular
Drives
Astra coupe / ZX
At Greenlight do you recognize motorbike ownership as part of your quote as another owned vehicle and acknowledge the performance experience since the figures are comparable to most supercars..?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
I'm with directline already.

Tony, I submitted info for a quote yesterday and I'm waiting for a price just.

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
Definately got a quote from them off moneysupermarket. Know this cos i bought it, then had to be refunded 2 weeks later!

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
I'm with directline already.

Tony, I submitted info for a quote yesterday and I'm waiting for a price just.

You should be pleasantly surprised, mine is £480 iirc with full no claims.

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
I was with Greenlight for around 2 years as they gave me the best quote. However I wasnt impressed with their customer service.

Paula

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Lupo GTi
Hughes Insurance where charging me £169 a month then whenever my renewal was up they dropped it £10, my car is only a 1.4. I'm now with AXA and they are only charging me £125, which is alot better than what Hughes quoted me lol

johnm

RMS Regular
Im with direct line and getting stung 211 a month. Cant go with greenlight yet as i need a yrs experience in the liner as only had a lude before it.
If there going up i'd hate to see what id pay!
role on feb 11!!!

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
As far as I know, you need a years experience in RWD with Greenlight before they will quote you on anything powerfully RWD. Doesn't matter if you have a years experience elsewhere with the same car.

johnm

RMS Regular
on the note from them i got it just said 1yrs proven ownership of simmarly high powered car, no mention that it had to be rwd and with them. Worth checking out though! Cant see it being that way though as then they would loose new business over it, who's going to insure a less powerful rwd car when they have a proven history of driving one with more power and go elsewhere that would cost alot less in the long run if ya catch my drift.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
They said what I said to BBSBOY as far as I know when he went to insure the Z4 3.0 even though he had RWD experience for over 2 years in his E36 328i Sport

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Aye, but Gee that price was quoted a few months ago when prices were lower, no?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.