"driving lamps" or "fog lights" ?or

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
I spoke to a police officer after I fitted them and asked him for advice and he said he couldn't see any problem with it as their no longer fog lights obviously though they should only be on during daytime.

Wonder how many times you'll have that conversion !

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I spoke to a police officer after I fitted them and asked him for advice and he said he couldn't see any problem with it as their no longer fog lights obviously though they should only be on during daytime.

While on the subject of corrections...they're lol

There are legal heights and positions for most lamps on a car, no idea if there are any for these new DRL's though. But almost all are within or very very close to the normal headlights
That might be the only legal point of contention if there is one. Although there may be brightness levels, direction they're pointing etc

But as many have said, many modern LED type DRL's are bloody bright.

alpha-dog

RMS Regular
How can you (or the police) tell the difference on a passing car ? My leon has fogs , but the aren't bright or blinding. They come on when I turn a corner , they come on when I reverse. What wrong with driving with them on if it's not foggy ? I see loads of other cars with them on , but are they "driving lamps" or have they got their fogs on ! Would the police even know if they seen me ?

i remember reading a police forum were one of the members was asking the same question. another membered answered something along the lines of: that if theres more than two bulbs on, then its illegal. i assume its dipped or brighter only counts for this rule.

now the corning lights, do they light up no matter what? (as in if fogs arent set to be on) if so thats a good way to tell if someone is gonna turn. as people dont use indicators.

people with their front fog lights on dont bother me, usually theyre so low down they arent that dazzeling. rear fog lights are just a nusiance when its not foggy.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
How can you (or the police) tell the difference on a passing car ? My leon has fogs , but the aren't bright or blinding. They come on when I turn a corner , they come on when I reverse. What wrong with driving with them on if it's not foggy ? I see loads of other cars with them on , but are they "driving lamps" or have they got their fogs on ! Would the police even know if they seen me ?

As @stevieturbo said earlier driving lamps should be linked in to your main (full) beam so they only come on when you put the full beam on. Haven't seen new car fitted with actual driving lamps in years, they were a option on the classic Imprezas 15 years ago. Should be fairly easy for the police to spot, whether they know the difference is another question. 99.9% of the lights you're talking about are fog lamps are and should only be used when properly foggy, not when there's a bit of fog about and you can just about see 1 mile.

The problem with driving with them on when it's not foggy is that they have no real beam patten and tend to just light up directly in front of you thus dazzling other road users. It's not about how bright they are but where the light goes.

Sailorbaz

RMS Regular
Scotland/Co Tyrone/ Rio de Janiero, Brasil!
Drives
E46 CSL and F10
now the corning lights, do they light up no matter what? (as in if fogs arent set to be on) if so thats a good way to tell if someone is gonna turn. as people dont use indicators.

I think they're connected to the indicators. On some cars, the DRL will dim down when using the indicator also due to the brightness of DRL's. When you're manoeuvring slowly, into the drive or parking, the fog lamp comes on depending on which way you're turning the steering wheel. On our Mk7 Golf anyway, that's how it appears to work.

alpha-dog

RMS Regular
that's good to know, if they come on when the wheel is turned. if your golf is like that, I'd hazard a guess by saying all the vag cars are set up the same

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.