"driving lamps" or "fog lights" ?or

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
My lights are always set to main beam. They go off when the key is removed so why change it.

In my previous car, a 350Z, I drove for a short distance twice without the lights on in a very well lit area because the dash is always lit up, which usually indicates that the lights are on in most cars.

K'dg

RMS Regular
Read this thread yesterday eve and then thought i'd keep an eye out on the drive to work this morning for how much of this fog light carry on I could see. In fairness there were a few fog patches on the way so perhaps some folk had just forgotten to switch them off but still a surprising number of fog lights on when you actually look out for it.

I can however see where orignal poster is coming from, there seem to be a few cars featuring what appear to be day light running lights where you would assume they would be fogs. I'm not talking LED set up, rather low light similar to side lights.. Alot of Minis seem to have these, a few BMs and some ford models. Definately wouldn't have classed them as fog lights due to the dimmer light.

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
including side lights with (what i assume are) driving lamps as i seriously doubt these people have altered their wiring to be able to put fogs on anytime. So what i wondered was who's to know the difference (without being pulled over).
I just contimplated swapping bulbs to led and using my fogs as driving lamps , but the thread took a turn. . . .

As said numerous times in the thread. 'Driving lights' only come on with Full Beam. Fog lights can be turned on, when any other light is on (i.e. sides, dip, full). No 're-wiring' needed. How on earth can you be driving a Seat Leon... and not actually know how the lights work!?

Mark315

RMS Regular
Drives
R
Past a hyundai yesterday, had DRLs and no tail lights on, drls nearly brighter than my headlights!! I gave it a flash, got the dirtiest look back, clearly didnt have a clue!!

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
As said numerous times in the thread. 'Driving lights' only come on with Full Beam. Fog lights can be turned on, when any other light is on (i.e. sides, dip, full). No 're-wiring' needed. How on earth can you be driving a Seat Leon... and not actually know how the lights work!?

My front fogs require the lighting dial to be pulled out once , and the rear on a second pull. There is an indication on the dash when the rear is on but not when the fronts are on. I know when I have my fronts on as it's an unnatural thing to turn then pull , so I could only assume that these people are doing it on purpose. I don't know what way their lights are wired or what setting they are on. I also can't tell if they are fogs or driving lamps so I could only assume that neither would the police (while just driving past).
So , I started the thread (regretfully) wondering if I changed my fog bulbs to led (thus being able to argue that they aren't fogs) I could use them as DRLs or driving lamps without being hassled by the police.
I have no desire to drive around with my foglights on , least importantly because they're a different colour to my headlight bulbs.

RComms

RMS Regular
Drives
E63
Past a hyundai yesterday, had DRLs and no tail lights on, drls nearly brighter than my headlights!! I gave it a flash, got the dirtiest look back, clearly didnt have a clue!!

we have a new shape i30 with the DRLs. They are ridiculously bright. what's more, the dash lights are on all the time, so it's not always obvious that you don't have your lights on.... especially in a built up area!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
My front fogs require the lighting dial to be pulled out once , and the rear on a second pull. There is an indication on the dash when the rear is on but not when the fronts are on. I know when I have my fronts on as it's an unnatural thing to turn then pull , so I could only assume that these people are doing it on purpose. I don't know what way their lights are wired or what setting they are on. I also can't tell if they are fogs or driving lamps so I could only assume that neither would the police (while just driving past).
So , I started the thread (regretfully) wondering if I changed my fog bulbs to led (thus being able to argue that they aren't fogs) I could use them as DRLs or driving lamps without being hassled by the police.
I have no desire to drive around with my foglights on , least importantly because they're a different colour to my headlight bulbs.

Check the switch on the dash. It'll light up green to indicate the front fogs are on then as you say you get the orange light on the dash for the rear fog. I've no idea why some VAGs are like that, pretty sure it was same setup for my mk5 golf too.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
Check the switch on the dash. It'll light up green to indicate the front fogs are on then as you say you get the orange light on the dash for the rear fog. I've no idea why some VAGs are like that, pretty sure it was same setup for my mk5 golf too.

It does.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
we have a new shape i30 with the DRLs. They are ridiculously bright. what's more, the dash lights are on all the time, so it's not always obvious that you don't have your lights on.... especially in a built up area!

I may have driven from lisburn to sprucefield on more than 1 occasion at night on just front DRLS's. I am used to autoheadlights in my own car and jumped in the wifes which doesn't have them. DRL's were every bit as good as my headlights. Ive even done a few miles on country roads in the same circumstances before the wife pointed out I had no lights on. Entirely my fault but modern DRL's are quite good!

Any car I have had with foglights, to be able to spot standing water/animals etc with them, you would need to be travelling at very slow speeds (funnily enough, as you would be in fog). At normal road speeds, the beam simply doesn't go far enough for you to have time to see and safely avoid obstacles.

Gavlar

RMS Regular
I may have driven from lisburn to sprucefield on more than 1 occasion at night on just front DRLS's. I am used to autoheadlights in my own car and jumped in the wifes which doesn't have them. DRL's were every bit as good as my headlights. Ive even done a few miles on country roads in the same circumstances before the wife pointed out I had no lights on. Entirely my fault but modern DRL's are quite good!

Any car I have had with foglights, to be able to spot standing water/animals etc with them, you would need to be travelling at very slow speeds (funnily enough, as you would be in fog). At normal road speeds, the beam simply doesn't go far enough for you to have time to see and safely avoid obstacles.
The only bad thing about that is when you're driving with just DRLs you've nothing illuminated at all at the rear though

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
The only bad thing about that is when you're driving with just DRLs you've nothing illuminated at all at the rear though

Oh absolutely. I was commenting to show its easy done but its also a stupid thing and I hold my hands up to it.

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
Rear fog light wänkers..... Admittedly it was poor visibility yesterday. I was in enniskillen and back in the lorry and rear fog lights were needed for sure, but a bit of common courtesy when a car comes behind you would be to switch them off... But no - 99% of drivers don't bother the asses.

So I used my additional lights to help remind them I could clearly see them
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417096628.340709.jpg

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

It's strange that. Volvo's used to always have front and rear lights for their DRL's, common sense would say modern variants should be the same.

Simple solution for all, and means you'll never drive without lights....as soon as you get into the car, turn your lights on.

Free DRL's front and rear, and they help at night too.

eamon343

RMS Regular
your forgetting about the people who dont turn on their lights as well or relying on 'auto' light settings which for some bizzare reason are NOT very good at reading environmental changes

Auto lights in my Clio were great, as soon as it got dull or started to rain they came on

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
Rear fog light wänkers..... Admittedly it was poor visibility yesterday. I was in enniskillen and back in the lorry and rear fog lights were needed for sure, but a bit of common courtesy when a car comes behind you would be to switch them off... But no - 99% of drivers don't bother the asses.

So I used my additional lights to help remind them I could clearly see them View attachment 71716

So you where -

A) Blinding people
B) Using you're phone

It was foggy, if a rear fog light was bothering you don't sit so close. Is everyone really going to look in there mirror and think 'Ah there's a car behind me, I'll turn off my fog lights'.................Ah he's turned off, I'll put them back on'........their whole journey! Think about it.

I SAY AGAIN - IF IT IS FOGGY USE FOG LIGHTS, IF IT IS NOT FOGGY DO NOT USE FOG LIGHTS!

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
So you where -

A) Blinding people
B) Using you're phone

It was foggy, if a rear fog light was bothering you don't sit so close. Is everyone really going to look in there mirror and think 'Ah there's a car behind me, I'll turn off my fog lights'.................Ah he's turned off, I'll put them back on'........their whole journey! Think about it.

I SAY AGAIN - IF IT IS FOGGY USE FOG LIGHTS, IF IT IS NOT FOGGY DO NOT USE FOG LIGHTS!

Well that's what I was doing. You know. Watching the roads, and being considerate to other drivers. When I noticed someone closing the distance behind me I switched my rear fog light off. It's not actually that hard a thing to do.

And yes, those who didn't got a quick blast

Edit: 'you're' is a contraction for 'you are'.
Your is a possessive adjective

Last edited:

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
'Ah there's a car behind me, I'll turn off my fog lights'.................Ah he's turned off, I'll put them back on'........their whole journey! Think about it.

Yes, that's exactly what any competent, aware and courteous driver would do. The whole point of rear fog lights is to make you visible from behind.
If someone is coming up behind you and has got to a distance that they can clearly see your normal sidelights then there is absolutely no need to continue to blind them with your rear fog light.

Over the past few days driving in the fog ive never had the thought "thank god they had their fog lights on or id not have seen them!"

adam1942

RMS Regular
Drives
2015 F56
The DTRL on my Fiesta are bright because they're supposed to be seen in the day light... When I turn on parking lights or dipped head lights they dull down a LOT. Its just inconsiderate to drive with DTRL on when its dusk or dawn.

MarkM

RMS Regular

So I used my additional lights to help remind them I could clearly see them View attachment 71716

I'm seeing more and more tosspots using rear fogs when it's raining, absolutey boils my piss

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
So you where -

A) Blinding people
B) Using you're phone

Mike...... "So you were" ........ Not "where"

"Using your phone" ...... Not "you're"

"Is everyone going to look in their mirror"..... Not "there"

(y)

lee-r33

RMS Regular
Drives
R33 Skyline
This is what I was meaning in my original post. Do you think you will get hassle for having your "fog lights" on ?
I spoke to a police officer after I fitted them and asked him for advice and he said he couldn't see any problem with it as their no longer fog lights obviously though they should only be on during daytime.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.