"driving lamps" or "fog lights" ?or

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
Surely that's as dangerous as the muppet using the fog lights?

Only for a few seconds to give him a taste of his own medicine. Maybe some day these people will learn how dazzling it is to come across someone with fogs on.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Only for a few seconds to give him a taste of his own medicine. Maybe some day these people will learn how dazzling it is to come across someone with fogs on.

Ive never came across properly aligned fogs that dazzled any more than a normal headlight.
Equally a misaligned headlight is every bit as bad as a misaligned inappropriately used fog light.

To sum up ive never really experienced much of a problem with people having front fogs on.....rear fogs are a different matter though :mad:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Ive never came across properly aligned fogs that dazzled any more than a normal headlight.
Equally a misaligned headlight is every bit as bad as a misaligned inappropriately used fog light.

To sum up ive never really experienced much of a problem with people having front fogs on.....rear fogs are a different matter though :mad:

Same. They shouldn't be using them but its never actually blinded me, certainly no where as near as bad as getting blasted with full beams. Sitting in traffic behind someone with a rear fog on does my nut in though!

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR

I Agree about the headlights, very annoying. Even newer 4x4's with HIDs are quite bad even if they are aligned correctly.

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
I Agree about the headlights, very annoying. Even newer 4x4's with HIDs are quite bad even if they are aligned correctly.

Anything mercedes with xenons or anything vag with xenons are just retina burning headlights. Had a mk5 r32 golf behind me one day and genuinely thought he had full beam on. Also had a octavia vrs the other day with those led running lights, so bright I had to adjust my rearview mirror to stop getting dazzled by them.

On the running lights thing, a lot of cars now run those kerb side lights which look like a single fog light coming on as the steering is turned. My brothers range rover does something similar at night when the lights are on.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d

Never been a fan of anything with HIDs, no matter how quick the self levellers act its just never quick enough.

mcmurray

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
On the running lights thing, a lot of cars now run those kerb side lights which look like a single fog light coming on as the steering is turned. My brothers range rover does something similar at night when the lights are on.

Noticed my neighbours Seat Ibiza does this when they're pulling into their drive.

Thought it was dodgy wiring :oops:, didn't know it was a feature on newer cars.

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
Noticed my neighbours Seat Ibiza does this when they're pulling into their drive.

Thought it was dodgy wiring :oops:, didn't know it was a feature on newer cars.

Haha, yes does appear like that, however, iirc there is an easy option to turn the feature off in the obc

Stebo

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender 110
My car doesn't have front fogs, but I can honestly say that I've never been "dazzled" or in any way annoyed by drivers who drive with their front fogs on. When I did have cars with front fog lights I found them great for picking up potholes or standing water out country roads.

I would much rather everybody drove with their front fogs on than have the idiots driving around at dusk with no lights on. Or just as bad, being stuck behind somebody who doesnt use full beam, can see where they're going and therefore sit at 30mph and make it impossible to see up the road to overtake.

Also it's always interested me why it's possible to turn on front fogs independent to rear ones. How often is it foggy infront of the car, but not behind!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Surely that's as dangerous as the muppet using the fog lights?

**** em

My car doesn't have front fogs, but I can honestly say that I've never been "dazzled" or in any way annoyed by drivers who drive with their front fogs on. When I did have cars with front fog lights I found them great for picking up potholes or standing water out country roads.

I would much rather everybody drove with their front fogs on than have the idiots driving around at dusk with no lights on. Or just as bad, being stuck behind somebody who doesnt use full beam, can see where they're going and therefore sit at 30mph and make it impossible to see up the road to overtake.

Also it's always interested me why it's possible to turn on front fogs independent to rear ones. How often is it foggy infront of the car, but not behind!

Incorrect use of lights...especially not using lights in conditions of reduced visibility should carry a dangerous driving charge.

And front fogs are very useful in heavy snow, again when used correctly with sidelights only. You do lose the Star Wars visuals, but you get a much clearer view of the road because of it.
There would be no need for rear fogs here.

But just because you might want better visibility on front in poor conditions, doesnt mean you need the rear on.

if only people would realise that in bumper to bumper traffic in fog.

What the bloody **** would you need your rear fog on, when you can clearly see the normal tail lights of the 20 cars in front of you !!

Again, a dangerous driving charge should apply for not being in proper control of the vehicle. ie inability to operate your lights correctly.

onefortheroad

RMS Regular
Drives
volvo
I was wondering if head light bulbs were to dear
I see so many banker's out and about with one light

Stebo

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender 110
**** em

Incorrect use of lights...especially not using lights in conditions of reduced visibility should carry a dangerous driving charge.

And front fogs are very useful in heavy snow, again when used correctly with sidelights only. You do lose the Star Wars visuals, but you get a much clearer view of the road because of it.
There would be no need for rear fogs here.

But just because you might want better visibility on front in poor conditions, doesnt mean you need the rear on.

if only people would realise that in bumper to bumper traffic in fog.

What the bloody **** would you need your rear fog on, when you can clearly see the normal tail lights of the 20 cars in front of you !!

Again, a dangerous driving charge should apply for not being in proper control of the vehicle. ie inability to operate your lights correctly.

I would say that's why all these people drive with them on. Out country roads I always found it useful to drive with front fogs on, even if it's just raining. Good for picking out potholes / standing water / animals about to dart out of the ditch in front of you / etc.

cormac81

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
On newer cars I dont think foglights would blind you, my old astra mk4 foglights were all over the place.

Look directly and long enough at a car with dipped lights and they blind you too! and no I dont drive normally with foglights on. But as above they do come useful on country roads and if I meet someone I do turn them off.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
It was torture this morning with people having their rear fogs on. Fog would have to be seriously bad to ever need rear fogs on a motorway/ dual carriageway.

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
front foglights don't bother me. as mentioned several times here, muppets with rear fogs on when you're behind them does, and I'll happily go to full beam if I'm behind them until they take the hint.

Nothing is as bad as muppets with xenons in a non-projector headlight. now those are dazzling. Anyone who gets dazzled by front foglights must be on the floor

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Anyone who gets dazzled by front foglights must be on the floor

People cant even keep their normal headlights aligned correctly...and that is a yearly legal inspection.

So it'd take a miracle for any of them to ever check how well any other lights are pointing.

In theory they shouldnt dazzle, reality is often different. Either way, they still look like p***ks who have no idea how to operate their car correctly.

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
Don't think I have ever been dazzled by fog lights, don't use my own as I find them useless in most conditions although never tried them just with sidelights as @stevieturbo says.

CharlySkunkWeed

RMS Regular
OP
CharlySkunkWeed
side lights and fog lights.. how men roll

this was kinda my point at the start. I am seeing loads of cars with various combinations of lights on , including side lights with (what i assume are) driving lamps as i seriously doubt these people have altered their wiring to be able to put fogs on anytime. So what i wondered was who's to know the difference (without being pulled over).
I just contimplated swapping bulbs to led and using my fogs as driving lamps , but the thread took a turn. . . .

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
I would say that's why all these people drive with them on. Out country roads I always found it useful to drive with front fogs on, even if it's just raining. Good for picking out potholes / standing water / animals about to dart out of the ditch in front of you / etc.

Read my original post on page 1 (the reason this thread escalated)

What do you drive and what's the reg? Ill look out for you and make sure and try to blind you as people like you piss me off.

Its illegal too.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
i genuinely love your rants @stevieturbo - you are correct most of the time. it still doesn't bother me that much though!

And that's not even getting into p***ks with lights that dont even work !!

ie drive with headlights and front fogs on...and only one of each works lol

Really there is no excuse whatsoever for driving about with more than one lamp out.

The amount of cars with lights out, no brake lights, one brake light, brake lights stuck on etc is unreal. And they too probably go unstopped by plod.

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
your forgetting about the people who dont turn on their lights as well or relying on 'auto' light settings which for some bizzare reason are NOT very good at reading environmental changes

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
your forgetting about the people who dont turn on their lights as well or relying on 'auto' light settings which for some bizzare reason are NOT very good at reading environmental changes

Again lights are part of being in control of your vehicle. If you do not have correct lights being used, especially in poor conditions, you are not in control of the vehicle and careless, reckless or dangerous driving charges should ensue.

I wonder how many such charges have been brought over the last ten years ? I'd guess I have enough thumbs to count them on.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.