Electricity tariffs

saxo_man

RMS Regular
I was paying £90 a month. Actual useage was like 3 times that so was quite the surprise when that quarterly bill came in. Think I owed about £500 🤢

Have since upped the DD so it’s pretty close now. Think £70 credit this past quarter.
They don’t be long reminding you when you owe them money, but are happy enough to accrue your money when it’s the other way round.

Bryan

RMS Regular
I'm seeing people from the mainland claiming they are getting EV charging for as little as 8p/kwh and even in ROI claiming 7cents/kwh. How come we get ripped off so much?

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
They will be night rates. Most suppliers in England quote around 10p/kwh as their flypaper night rates - DD, long binding/contract, ex VAT, etc. Haven't looked at the fine print on any of those.

Daytime rates obviously much higher.

Here it seems to be around 15p/kwh for a similar night flypaper rate.

Some of the English providers advertise rates like "3p/mile", which is obviously just marketing guff. Their actual rate is still around 10p/kwh night time flypaper.

No idea about across the border.

Bryan

RMS Regular
I'm with Power NI and it's ~18p/kwh overnight.

Still much cheaper than petrol or diesel however their overnight time restrictions mean that I can only charge 60% of the capacity without going into the 35p/kwh territory. If it went from midnight to 8am that would be brilliant.

RallyCiaran

RMS Regular
Drives
Nova 1600 8v
I listen to the Robert Llewellyn Full Charged/Everything Electric podcast. He is on a Octopus Energy smart tariff.
What he pays for electricity depends on the grid demand. So at peak times his price is high so he runs off his solar or home batteries. Then recharges over night when the demand is low and the price is low.
But the interesting part is when it is really windy at night and there is low demand, he will actually be paid to take the excess electricity off the grid.
Think it has only happened a few times where he has been paid but still an interesting idea.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Yeah had to change all the timers there. The clock on the meter doesn’t change itself so you’ve to adjust round it.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
Happy days, 70% charge available overnight now then
You must do a quite some mileage each day? You should be able to get 50+kwh on the overnight rate. Bit less if you leave for work before 9 when on the BST times, though.

Bryan

RMS Regular
You must do a quite some mileage each day? You should be able to get 50+kwh on the overnight rate. Bit less if you leave for work before 9 when on the BST times, though.

I don't charge it every day. I tended to let it get down to 20-30% and then plug it in.

I am currently running up and down to Londonderry this week though so it is getting charged every night - just enough to make it there and back.

It's a month old now and has 1800 miles on it already.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
As above, keep it hooked up. Better for the battery too, and you won't get caught short should there be something unplanned turning up or whatever.

It's getting colder now too, that will affect range a bit. And you'll probably want to start pre-heating and all that.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I thought that was bad for it? Also all this talk about 80% nonsense I just charge it to 100%

You planning on keeping it forever?

Charging it to 100% is more harmful for the battery that charging it to 80% every night also.

Bryan

RMS Regular
It's a 4 year lease this time.

So charge it to 80% every night? I need to charge it to 100% this week every night to get to Londonderry and back

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I thought that was bad for it? Also all this talk about 80% nonsense I just charge it to 100%
No, it's the other way around for lithium batteries. Just keep it topped up.

The 20-80% thing, that's just where charging is usually most efficient. So if you stop on the road it could be better to keep it there just because the last 20% (give or take) can take a lot longer. But you'll figure out what works best for that.

At home, just keep it topped up. It's never a bad thing to keep them charged.

The main thing is try not to drop too much below 20% (give or take). Running them dry isn't good for them.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI

So charge it to 80% every night? I need to charge it to 100% this week every night to get to Londonderry and back

80 every night is absolutely fine. Most of the time I charge it to 100.

big cyril

RMS Regular
Top up charging here too, when it’s at home it’s plugged in straight away. Volvo recommends 90%. For some reason it won’t do 7kW, getting 3kW, not sure if it’s the pod point or the car at fault, guess need to try charging at a public point to find out.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR

I imagine MG have a recommended charge? Some manufacturers are 80% others are 90%. Charge to that every night, in cases like this week where you need more each day, it's completely fine to charge to 100%.

Cars with LFP batteries like RWD Teslas can be charged to 100% every night with no added degradation to the battery, in fact, Tesla advises it.

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
I was told by Porsche the 80% thing is garbage and just to charge to 100% all the time.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
Had SSE knocking the door at the weekend with a 'win back' offer for previous customers:

Day rate 26.03p (currently on 36 with click)
Night rate 15p (currently on 16 with click)

Is this a sign of tariffs/suppliers starting to fall & should I hold out a bit to see what the rest of them do?

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Had SSE knocking the door at the weekend with a 'win back' offer for previous customers:

Day rate 26.03p (currently on 36 with click)
Night rate 15p (currently on 16 with click)

Is this a sign of tariffs/suppliers starting to fall & should I hold out a bit to see what the rest of them do?
That seems pretty low for the day time rate! I just left SSE too