Electricity tariffs

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
That seems pretty low for the day time rate! I just left SSE too

It does, if they were offering the same discount on the night rate I'dve been on it right away. Saying that, there doesnt seem to be anyone else offering cheaper overall at the minute..

saxo_man

RMS Regular
It does, if they were offering the same discount on the night rate I'dve been on it right away. Saying that, there doesnt seem to be anyone else offering cheaper overall at the minute..
Do they tie you in? I am not on a contract with my new supplier, but maybe they will follow suit.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Don't know if a long contract is a good idea at the moment. Especially if you use the night rate a lot, seems to be mainly the day rate that's discounted? The English night rates have come down quite a bit further of late.

But twelve months isn't all that long I guess. And it works both ways if the rates turn back up again.

Flip a coin basically...

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Don't know if a long contract is a good idea at the moment. Especially if you use the night rate a lot, seems to be mainly the day rate that's discounted? The English night rates have come down quite a bit further of late.

But twelve months isn't all that long I guess. And it works both ways if the rates turn back up again.

Flip a coin basically...
15p is low enough for night-time to be fair also.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
If they up their rates you can jump out. The only problem is everyone else drops and they stay the same.
How can they up the rate if you are on a contract? Not doubting you are right, but if that's the case why go for a contract at all? Basically you can only lose unless I missed something again...

This so called "energy market" just looks like a total scam every single time 😅 Worse than insurance and that's saying something...

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
How can they up the rate if you are on a contract? Not doubting you are right, but if that's the case why go for a contract at all? Basically you can only lose unless I missed something again...

This so called "energy market" just looks like a total scam every single time 😅 Worse than insurance and that's saying something...

They can and do hence you can jump out. I switched about half a dozen times over the past few years. Jump at lowest rate, when they increase end contract and move to the next one. Saved a small fortune.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
@Coog is correct, I'd said to the guy, its normally a sign of a drop coming when you lads are out selling. He said if the market drops below their contracted price you can leave FOC.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
So basically just a flypaper rate then and it doesn't matter what happens next? They could up it again as soon as you sign on and then you are back where you started and out trying to switch yet again. Or some other flypaper rate comes along and another round of switching (with no penalty?). With no actual lock-in either way it's not actually a contract at all, lol.

That's why I'm still with PNI, can't be bothered with all this switching palaver when the game is stacked the wrong way. It's the only regulated provider and on average over time their rates work out no more expensive than any other. Flypaper rates come and go, then they bump them up and you have to switch again to another flypaper rate. And don't get me started on "estimated bills" and DD 😅

As usual, everyone's circumstances are different. Get your spreadsheet out.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
It's a bit like shopping round for insurance. You can do nothing and pay whatever or spend a few minutes having a look / switching and save money. One of the suppliers were doing a stupidly cheap tarif last year, I'm sure I saved several hundred in the 3/4 months I was with them. If it's a way to save money and doesn't take much time, why wouldn't you?

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
I have been with Click for nearly a year now on the EV tariff and have definitely saved money. Even checked my most recent bill which works out a few quid cheaper than PowerNI.

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
Just got an email from Click Energy saying they are reducing my monthly payment as I am in credit and immediately refunding the outstanding credit amount to my bank account.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
It's a bit like shopping round for insurance. You can do nothing and pay whatever or spend a few minutes having a look / switching and save money. One of the suppliers were doing a stupidly cheap tarif last year, I'm sure I saved several hundred in the 3/4 months I was with them. If it's a way to save money and doesn't take much time, why wouldn't you?
It's more like if you shopped around for insurance, agreed a deal for the next year, and then next week they can still up the premium and then you have to shop around again 😇

Anyway, rant over. Horses for courses, everyone is different, just get the spreadsheet out.

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
My monthly direct debit from Power NI has shot up from £144 to £226!

That's around £7.30 per day.

I think the amount debited was too low for too long and it built up but £226 is ridiculous.

I only charge the car 1-2 times per week overnight (EV nightshift tariff) and we don't use that much power hungry appliances.
Has to be something wrong...

Mark Irwin

RMS Regular
Drives
Various Golf
I have been with all of them apart from Electric Ireland over the last few years and just move about to whoever has the best deal. As I have solar and batteries the daytime rate is less important and over the last year. 73% of what we buy is purchased at cheap overnight rate.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
My own has shot up too. Have been charging the car more often though as its definately using more juice in the cold/dark weather..

BurningSmell

RMS Regular
I see SSE have a new offer of 31% discount, advertised as new customers but no issues switching as existing. Seems to put them as cheapest, around 27p

Bryan

RMS Regular

I think the amount debited was too low for too long and it built up but £226 is ridiculous.

I only charge the car 1-2 times per week overnight (EV nightshift tariff) and we don't use that much power hungry appliances.

Mine is the same, about £120 per month and now needs to be around £200.

it_carwasher

RMS Regular
Drives
Porsche

Do a quarterly bill - I do think they all over egg it even when you provide meter readings.

The whole thing is one big con!!! I am moving to Colorado mountains with a Gen Set.

davyk31

RMS Regular
OP
D
How do they over do it if you provide your own readings? I’m with Click, send in a monthly reading and the invoice is to that exact amount. You can also “forward purchase” a little if prices are on the up next month 😀

it_carwasher

RMS Regular
Drives
Porsche
How do they over do it if you provide your own readings? I’m with Click, send in a monthly reading and the invoice is to that exact amount. You can also “forward purchase” a little if prices are on the up next month 😀

As I say - they are a pile shysters! Maybe too much knowledge is a bad thing :worried: