F1 2016

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

mrloaf

RMS Regular
Drives
Swedes
Good recovery from rosberg, Hamilton was pushing to secure a pit stop gap, perhaps ran in high power mode for too long? Some strong hamilton tracks coming up will make thinga interesting for sure

Delboy23

RMS Regular
Drives
EP3
Says he wasn't using any higher power modes, just a random blow up. He has two engines left to do 5 races, 1 new and the other has done 3 races I think.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
He has a point regarding the '43 Mercedes engines & only his hits problems'. He can't do much more at the minute.

Rosberg's recovery shows the utter dominance Mercedes have over the majority of the field.

Vettel finding it tough at Ferrari now.

Delboy23

RMS Regular
Drives
EP3
Vettel has a 3 place grid penalty for the next race. Seems to be messing up a lot atm lol

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
First corner was classic Nico, lol - just assuming he is the only car on track and everyone should just get out of his way, even on the first corner with everyone crowding in :grinning: Vettel overcooked it though, fair penalty.

Nico's penalty - that was fair too I thought. I know David and Karoon (sp?) thought it was ok, but this is F1, not RallyX. Actually, even in RallyX there were a fair few severe penalties today for people running into each other or punting others off the track :p

Good to see him driving an aggressive race and recovering as well as he did, even if the way he was passing the entire field like they were standing still just goes to show how far ahead the Merc is. Nobody else is even close, not even Ferrari or RB.

Lewis - what can you say? Should have been a straight forward cruise to the finish line. Instead he ended up with a proper fight on his hands, with Max getting that lucky stop under one of the safety cars and making up like 15 seconds or something. So Lewis had to make up all of that, plus keep them behind after the final pit stop. And then his engine blows up...

Love seeing RB on top, and love the way they were actually racing each other, lol - brilliant :laughing:

Championship? If Nico gets it he will be the least deserving world champ ever. Honestly, he relies completely on Lewis either having mechanical issues, or an off-day like Monza and Singapore... You have to give it to Nico for maximising any chance like that he gets. But really not how a championship should be settled, is it? Especially with nobody else even in touching distance of Merc. Flip sake, even ending up last today after the first corner he could still just run past the entire flippin' field! Not from talent, but thanks to the car.

But hey, how the dice rolls. And not over yet...

Deckz

RMS Regular
Drives
Cars
I reckon Hamilton is running his engine that little bit higher than anyone else all the time......

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Yep, suspect that too. With all his troubles he has done a lot more hard driving catching up than Nico cruising away in Eco mode out front.

So maybe no huge surprise if his engines don't last as long as Nico's.

Flip sake, even today Lewis had to run pretty much flat out most of the race to make up for what Max gained at that random pit stop. He just cannot catch a break, lol :grinning:

Remember something similar when Vettel ran an entire season without a single issue, just cruising away from pole in pretty much every race. While Webber's car was breaking down in just about every race.

stevyg

RMS Regular
I thought Vettel got a little too ambitious at the first corner, it was a racing incident and a mistake on his part with him coming off the worst. I really do think that the pressure coming from the top at Ferrari is getting to Vettel and the rest of the team, they are making silly mistakes. Nicos shunt on Kimi was uncalled for, very risky. F1 isn't touring cars, could have easily ended both their races.

Hamilton really put the past few races behind him and got on with it this weekend. Walked all over Nico throughout the weekend only to have an engine failure, can't imagine how gutted he must feel. I really don't understand the odds against Lewis this year, seems like every ounce of bad luck is over his head. Mercedes can blame most of their other DNFs on driver error but having a brand new engine fail their race leader in front of their big sponsor at their home GP is pretty embarrassing. All things being equal, Nico should have a mechanical failure in every race for the rest of the season but I doubt that. Just hasn't been Hamiltons year, I hope he can do enough to prevent Nico from winning. There's a handful of drivers on the grid who deserve a world championship before Nico IMO.

A nice change to see the Red Bulls 1-2 and just as well Riccardio fought hard to keep Max behind or when the staggered pit stop came about, he would have had to settle for 2nd place. Dirty bastes the lot of them for drinking out of his shoe +o( good banter though. Riccardio is always so genuinely honored for winning, thanking his parents etc kinda reminds me of Schumacher that no matter how many times he won, he was as grateful his first.

scub

Banned
Any time they go wheel to wheel Hamilton wins. He is the better racer end of story.

The move nico made on kimi? Hamilton would have made that stick.
no one's doubting that Hamilton is quicker than nico but that's damning with faint praise as half the grid would be if they were in his Mercedes & has nothing to do with my point that Hamilton is a whinging little turd.

mrloaf

RMS Regular
Drives
Swedes
Plenty of championships have been won from consistency and solid results rather than being the fastest driver on the grid. Rosberg is as deserving as any to win the championship this year overall, he's out driven Hamilton on occasion, maximised points on hamiltons mistakes, become more aggressive racing wheel to wheel and dug his way back from a points deficit. Not over yet could easily go either way , exciting to watch either way it ends up going tho

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Don't think anyone would begrudge Nico a world title crown but there are many that will point to the points he gained over Lewis thanks to mechanical issues.

Nico is just doing a good, solid job; nothing more-nothing less.

Lewis needs to win pretty much the every race left this season. Makes it exciting compared to some recent years.

Delboy23

RMS Regular
Drives
EP3
Don't think anyone would begrudge Nico a world title crown but there are many that will point to the points he gained over Lewis thanks to mechanical issues.

Nico is just doing a good, solid job; nothing more-nothing less.

Lewis needs to win pretty much the every race left this season. Makes it exciting compared to some recent years.

Agree there, rosberg fully deserves this years title. Definitely upped his game this season.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
I've finally had a chance to watch the race and I agree with many of the comments made regards Rosberg, he's a good driver but not a great driver, unlike Hamilton. Rosberg rely's too much on other people's misfortunes and tends to think he owns the tarmac.

That said it was an inspired move on Kimi and I think the 10sec penalty was a bit harsh, although as I type this I can't help think it's the stewards being fed up of Rosberg's cornering antics!

The Rosberg/Vettel incident was Vettel's fault and it was good to see Vettel being the bigger man and admitting it.

With me being a big Hamilton fan and a fan of the odd conspiracy, I can't help but think that there might be something in his comments. Yes Rosberg had issues last season but Hamilton's seem suspicious and further fuel the whole "Rosberg being groomed for/handed a world championship" story.

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 520d SE
I'm currently listening to Toto Wolff's interview after the race and he states that they hard an engine hardware failure that they couldn't see coming which, perhaps I'm being a bit naive but I can't believe!

It was a fresh engine and with the amount of sensors they have in their engines I can't see how they didn't see it coming.

Perhaps someone can confirm my naivety?

mrloaf

RMS Regular
Drives
Swedes
I'm currently listening to Toto Wolff's interview after the race and he states that they hard an engine hardware failure that they couldn't see coming which, perhaps I'm being a bit naive but I can't believe!

It was a fresh engine and with the amount of sensors they have in their engines I can't see how they didn't see it coming.

Perhaps someone can confirm my naivety?

Lewis Hamilton Malaysia GP engine blow-up traced to faulty bearing

I think this just needs to be chalked down to bad luck - especially as hamilton was leading and in the throws of a championship battle, a bearing let go - preventative action to be taken across all merc engines. The notion that mercedes would sabotage their no.1 driver at their biggest sponsor's home GP is hard for me to believe, what with the amount of scrutiny/telemetry/real time analysis ongoing and whatever marketing value is achieved from a race win.

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
I would imagine all engines/power units are built without anyone knowing which car it will be going into.
So the idea of anyone sabotaging Hamilton is hard to fathom.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Obviously there is no actual sabotage, just fun with conspiracies :grinning: He has just been massively unlucky, probably made worse from having to fight/drive harder as a consequence. Vicious circles and all that.

I see all Merc engines will be turned down for Japan, including all customer teams. Might make things interesting if that is true, sounds pretty drastic...

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.