First car

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

metro1800

RMS Regular
Drives
405 Mi16
How long is a piece of string? Depends entirely on the insurer, any modifications, driver experience... Plus a Gti is a very high group, so I'd imagine it won't be cheap for an 18 year old. Try www.confused.com

PhilG

RMS Regular
I doubt you'll get it, my mate bought a golf mk1 gti when he was 16, he just passed his test about a month ago, he's now 20. He phoned around heaps of companies but no one would touch him.

Spoony

RMS Regular
I'd be doubtful if any one would insure you on a GTI as they are such a high grouped car and as you are only 18, but keep trying and maybe you might get lucky.

Happy hunting

rosie

RMS Regular
Drives
anything that bl
doubtful if u'll get quoted i'm 22 5 years under my mums named clean liscence no one would touch me on a celica untill i hit 25 anything over a gp10 is madness

stuarti

RMS Regular
are these not a 1.8 engine?

you might get insurance as its a bit older now....

try quinn... they are good at minute

also try confused.com

PhilG

RMS Regular
stuartiwilson79 said:
are these not a 1.8 engine?

you might get insurance as its a bit older now....

try quinn... they are good at minute

also try confused.com

Quinn direct give really good quotes, but they will not insure you on anything over 100(ish)bhp if your under 25. However if you've been insured with quinn for a while (maybe a year, im not sure) you can change to a more powerful car as they do not want to loose your custom.

lorneM

RMS Regular
(maybe a year, im not sure) you can change to a more powerful car as they do not want to loose your custom.

this doesnt hapen i was with them for 2years driving a mk2 golf driver which is group 10 then tryed to upgrade to a gti and i have been driving 4 1/2 years no points or claims and there was no chance until i was 25 try adrien flux i got a mk2 16v for 704quid tpft oh a gti is 1.8 not 1.9 unless it has been bored out!!

PhilG

RMS Regular
lorneM said:
(maybe a year, im not sure) you can change to a more powerful car as they do not want to loose your custom.

this doesnt hapen i was with them for 2years driving a mk2 golf driver which is group 10 then tryed to upgrade to a gti and i have been driving 4 1/2 years no points or claims and there was no chance until i was 25 try adrien flux i got a mk2 16v for 704quid tpft oh a gti is 1.8 not 1.9 unless it has been bored out!!

jsmr has been insured with them for 2 years, they are allowing him to change from his 95bhp 1.4 16v megane to a 110bhp audi a3

ewok

RMS Regular
mk2 golf gti is gp 16 and if your 18 you havent a hope of getting any the only ones that will cover you is g.o.a.r. insurance......

PhilG

RMS Regular
Thats a group 14 car. Start saving.

if you want to find out insurance groups go to www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/specs
then chose the car, and the ins group is in the last column of the table.

for your first car it will be difficult to get a quote on anything over group 7/8.

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
golf_gti_mk2 said:
would it be any cheaper insuring a pug 205 1.9 gti? year 1990. ?

na mate, u really need to get something slow and wait till ur a bit older before gettin a flying machine, we all had to go through it, it sucks but pays off with a few years no claims when you hit 21

golf_gti_mk2

OP
G
thanks. any idea on a car i should get then that that wouldnt hurt the pocket to much till i could insure a better car?

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
big dee said:
just get a 306 d-turbo

only grp 5 and its not a dog, maybe a fez 1.25 or a saxo westcoast or 106 quicksilver maybe, there is loads of options, id keep it under grp 6 tho if i were u or u will be paying the earth, tho saying that u'll be paying the earth anyway

Rik

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E46 M3
O dear you are goin to be seriously dissapointed whne you hear the options you realistically have in comparision to what you are looking

Saxo's/ 106's come is 1.1/1.4/1.6 8valve(VTR)/1.6 16V (106 GTI or Saxo Vts) also the diesel options

kylus1986

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf GT
get yourself a mk3 polo GT like this only not supercharged theyre cheap enough to insure and still have a bit of poke
newg.jpg
look like the mk2 golf abit anyway

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
haha.. best of luck mate.. i had bother insuring a 1600 megane coupe... a GTi golf would be off the charts..

chrisni1986

RMS Regular
Drives
525 M Sport
dad has a mk 2 golf gti i was gonna buy off him, im with quinn a year now, im 19 with a years ncb and was told i would have to be over 25 to insure this car..

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.