Garage heating options

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

iimm

RMS Regular
Drives
Carlos VonDriver
I've had a quick look online for options, probably looking a small propane heater as it's only for a double garage. But what options have you and price?

Thanks!!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Bare in mind most such heaters produce Carbon Monoxide so the area needs well ventilated too. And blow heaters are irritatingly loud.

Quartz Halogen type electric heaters are good, they heat you instantly and work over a reasonable distance. Although strictly speaking they dont heat the room itself too well.

Like the electric ones you see outside pubs etc

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
In the same position myself. I was even thinking of a superser or whatever they are called. Just to take the chill out when working on the car

lightning

RMS Trader
Drives
volvo 740
Sorry it will be tomorrow till I get exact prices but basically there's propane rocket shape ones that run on bottles of gas, there's rocket ones that run on diesel/kerosene etc, there's the infared ones that also run on diesel etc but are very quiet/less fumes, but the most expensive, or there's electric as @stevieturbo mentioned. In fact I think he maybe got 2 wall mounted ones before Christmas?

All in stock, will get prices tomorrow (y)

michael_c

Drives
Toyota Yaris TS,
Best way to heat a space is with a space heater. Radiant heaters (u tube, plaque, superser, infra red etc) are designed for point heating not space heating. So unless you plan to stand in one spot or if your space is relatively small, radiant is not much use. To heat the whole garage go for a space heater of some sort. The rocket type ones are good if you have ventilation. Otherwise avoid as the poc's(products of combustion) just go straight into the room. This is bad. If allowed to build up could cause issues. also any open flued appliance (superser, rocket type etc) will cause significant condensation as the combustion produces water vapour which condenses to form droplets. Best option in my opinion is a warm air heater such as a reznor udsa. These are used for heating workshops and warehouses everywhere and are the best, if not cheap. They come in oil or gas fired and use externally vented flue/exhaust.

Alternatively use a boiler with fan coil heaters to blow heat into the room. good fan coils are myson hi line or anything from sabiana. Good but expensive. Also gives option for hot water for power washer, sinks etc.

http://www.wholesaleheaters.co.uk/

Hope this helps.

michael_c

Drives
Toyota Yaris TS,
Small one of these

Attachments

• nvx3.jpg
    nvx3.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 249

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Sorry it will be tomorrow till I get exact prices but basically there's propane rocket shape ones that run on bottles of gas, there's rocket ones that run on diesel/kerosene etc, there's the infared ones that also run on diesel etc but are very quiet/less fumes, but the most expensive, or there's electric as @stevieturbo mentioned. In fact I think he maybe got 2 wall mounted ones before Christmas?

All in stock, will get prices tomorrow (y)

One I got works well at close range, it wasnt the type of infra rad I had hoped for though. My mistake but it does the job ok. I mounted it on a pole I could move about so it isnt too far away.

pobmk4

RMS Regular
Drives
Caddy 2K
I've got one of those SIP infra red heaters, really quiet compared to the bullet types and easy run too! It's a little more up the price range than a bullet but taking into consideration the 2 point above it's well worth considering. Would easily heat 500sq ft!!

iimm

RMS Regular
OP
iimm
Drives
Carlos VonDriver
This is to take the chill out of the air while I polish the car or generally mess about to avoid the wife. I don't need anything permanently fixed or big enough to heat a warehouse. Do the gas bullet boyos produce harmful gases? Traditional oil/derv bullet heaters are boggin'.

PeteMoore

RMS Regular
I am getting a Dimplex heater from above the door of a shop front.

Yeah it will be hard on electric, but it's much less likely to kill me in a small garage

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
This is to take the chill out of the air while I polish the car or generally mess about to avoid the wife. I don't need anything permanently fixed or big enough to heat a warehouse. Do the gas bullet boyos produce harmful gases? Traditional oil/derv bullet heaters are boggin'.

Anything that burns fossil fuels needs proper ventilation. That includes a Super Ser.

Up to you how much if any ventilation you choose to give the area though

Even a bullet style heater should be relatively smell free if it is running correctly though, of course carbon monoxide is odourless though. No smell doesnt mean it's all safe.
Plus all bullet styles are loud, smaller you go the quieter they are, but obviously less heat.

If you really must go for one like that, a small gas powered one is probably the safest. Use it sensibly though

michael_c

Drives
Toyota Yaris TS,
definitely get some decent ventilation. Doesn't take much to mess up the combustion on any fossil fuelled appliance making the aforementioned odourless carbon monoxide. Especially in a small garage. Would also reccomended a CO alarm!

michael_c

Drives
Toyota Yaris TS,
Pete Moore I have a 2nd hand over door heater if you're interested. Myson hi line rc e. 2 kw electric with remote control and moving vanes on the outlet. £40. good nick.

lightning

RMS Trader
Drives
volvo 740

Tommy

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo
Electric heaters and a manget to slow certain things down :-#

Reactions: Hrm

Sailorbaz

RMS Regular
Scotland/Co Tyrone/ Rio de Janiero, Brasil!
Drives
E46 CSL and F10
I have one of the Sealey/Draper space heaters above that 'lightning' is advertising for £99 (Excellent price, think I paid £125) It is a bit noisy but if I run it for 10 mins it heats up a single garage enough to get it to a comfortable temperature but again ventilation is a must. If your careful enough, you can control the gas feed at the bottle to keep it ticking over but it takes a bit of adjusting.

The overhead ones they have in large workshops and the likes of the MOT test centres, are some job but I'm sure they're heavy enough on fuel.

wes

RMS Regular
Waste oil burner, never had 1 but seen a couple of homemade and they are a brilliant job the 1's ivs seen and felt.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.