Golf GTI Mk2

cormac81

RMS Regular
OP
cormac81
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
The inner side of the rear strut towers rotted out along with the mount for the petrol tank and in behind the petrol flap.
IMG-20221116-WA0153.jpg

All cut out.
IMG-20221116-WA0156.jpg

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR 575, A4
My condolences on the passing of your mother fella. You'll never stop missing her, but it will get easier with time.

Hopefully working on the car becomes easier as you go along too. Some work done so far. Hat off to you.

Ben P

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW F33/A6C7
Sorry about the passing of your Mother. Horrible.

Nice to see the Golf making some progress 👌

civicglacier

RMS Regular
Drives
F10 / ATR / S2k
Cormac, I didn’t hear about your mum, really sorry lad.

Car is looking great. Cannot wait to see this done. Such piece of mind when it is knowing that it’s in tip top shape.

cormac81

RMS Regular
OP
cormac81
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
The car was slowly but surely taking shape with all bads of the car cut out and the whole car was completely being taking back to metal.
IMG-20221116-WA0120.jpg

I had a genuine new rear repair panel but the decision was to use it for cuts, particularly as the typ19 1984-87 has a different upper section for the badges. With no recess for VW badge in the middle but with lettering on the left hand side. It was also good to keep the original seams lines to keep it looking factory.
IMG-20221116-WA0086.jpg

IMG-20221116-WA0089.jpg
IMG-20221116-WA0032.jpg

Last edited:

Gambit

RMS Regular
Sorry to hear about your mum :worried:

The work required that wasnt visible is what scares the life out me about mine. At least you got someone willing to take it on for you, that's half the battle and work done so far looks brilliant. Will be class looking once complete!

cormac81

RMS Regular
OP
cormac81
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Sorry to hear about your mum :worried:

The work required that wasnt visible is what scares the life out me about mine. At least you got someone willing to take it on for you, that's half the battle and work done so far looks brilliant. Will be class looking once complete!
That's it, it annoyed me what lurked below. I knew there were bad bits but not as bad as it turned out. The car was solid and was MOT'd but things weren't just quite right the further you stripped it back.

cormac81

RMS Regular
OP
cormac81
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Further sanding back.
IMG-20221116-WA0031.jpg

The inside getting prepared for paint.
IMG-20221116-WA0095.jpg

The rear turrets and boot area.
IMG-20221116-WA0099.jpg

IMG-20221116-WA0097.jpg

The engine bay was fine hence the engine still in place but with the nightmare wax and the risk of the colour being off it was decided to also freshen it up.
IMG-20221116-WA0136.jpg

Tufty

RMS Regular
Drives
RS3/RS4/S6
Sorry to hear the about the passing of your mum.

There has been some amount of work gone into that Golf. I take it John locked him self away for awhile todo the work on it. This will be a credit to both you and him when it’s finished. I can’t wait to see it finished and wish you all the best when building it back up again.

If you haven’t already got them I would recommend doing the Polo GTi stub axle upgrade it make such a difference.

cormac81

RMS Regular
OP
cormac81
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Absolutely delighted with how the bodywork has turned out. There was so much to do the car and I can see already pieces of work that I havent included here!

Delighted with the fabrication that John Peden did with the car and the final finish is just as impressive.
IMG-20221116-WA0108.jpg

And now it's back to me for the next stage of the journey and trying to remember where everything goes!
20221101_140721.jpg

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Happy days, that's a big transformation already. The rest is just bolting bits back together 😇

You'll find yourself hunting for brand new bits for everything now the shell is looking like that 😁