Golf GTI Mk2

Sidders

RMS Regular
Drives
Toyota
Cormac that looks amazing and a proper job done!!!! When you have it all back together i wanna see it???

civicglacier

RMS Regular
Drives
F10 / ATR / S2k
Would love to get a look at this too Cormac.

Also if you need a lift for any jobs you’re welcome to come round here and use mine 👌

cormac81

RMS Regular
OP
cormac81
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Sorry to hear the about the passing of your mum.

There has been some amount of work gone into that Golf. I take it John locked him self away for awhile todo the work on it. This will be a credit to both you and him when it’s finished. I can’t wait to see it finished and wish you all the best when building it back up again.

If you haven’t already got them I would recommend doing the Polo GTi stub axle upgrade it make such a difference.
There was a substantial amount of time into to get it right alright but there was no going back. Going to leave it totally standard. Was down with your bro last week about powdercoating.
Happy days, that's a big transformation already. The rest is just bolting bits back together 😇

You'll find yourself hunting for brand new bits for everything now the shell is looking like that 😁
Yeah the OCD is already alive and well! 🤣
Cormac that looks amazing and a proper job done!!!! When you have it all back together i wanna see it???
God knows when that will be but absolutely Derek.
Going to be some job when finished mate. Must call in some day for a look at it.
Yeah do, make sure you wearing old clothes you might get a job to do 😆
Would love to get a look at this too Cormac.

Also if you need a lift for any jobs you’re welcome to come round here and use mine 👌
You might regret saying that Ruairi 😀

cormac81

RMS Regular
OP
cormac81
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
I haven't been updating this thread since last year but I will bring it up to date and will add to it as I get stuck into it with some annual leave coming up.

The biggest challenge have I had has been putting things back onto the car when you have new shiny bodywork. Most things aren't simply good enough when you take look at them. Then the somewhat fetish I have developed for genuine vw parts😄 I have been anything when I can.

First up was John came round and fitted the genuine boot decal for me.
20221125_110224.jpg

cormac81

RMS Regular
OP
cormac81
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Then I got the glass refitted, well almost of it ... the fitter broke the genuine windscreen that I had drove the whole way to Longford for. Still haven't got quite over that...

Replacement taillights fitted. I have now 3 sets, the OCD is strong.
20230312_105202.jpg

cormac81

RMS Regular
OP
cormac81
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
When putting the rear wash wiper set up back into the boot I had the help of @eamon343 and got the boot lock to match the original key set.

Fitted the door handles with new genuine metal inserts.
20230908_141523.jpg

With some warm water, bleach and rice I cleaned up to the two washer bottles. Being an earlier mk2 a washer bottle also sits in the boot.

Before.
20221219_111754.jpg

20221219_111754.jpg

After.

20221219_124146.jpg

20230908_142356.jpg

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Lovely! If it's worth doing, then it's worth doing right 😎

What's the deal with the rice?

ger16v

RMS Regular
Drives
80,90's VW
Love this - i assume a local car to with the dealer sticker
Undertaking one of these myself (although a 91 car) 18 months on and still on a roll over jig - finding poor repairs and a lot of previous damage .

cormac81

RMS Regular
OP
cormac81
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Lovely! If it's worth doing, then it's worth doing right 😎

What's the deal with the rice?
It's to remove the caked crud in the hard to reach places. When you give it a good shake it does the trick.
Love this - i assume a local car to with the dealer sticker
Undertaking one of these myself (although a 91 car) 18 months on and still on a roll over jig - finding poor repairs and a lot of previous damage .

Yeah original Co.Down car I bought it off the first owner in 2013.

Boksic

RMS Regular
When putting the rear wash wiper set up back into the boot I had the help of @eamon343 and got the boot lock to match the original key set.

Fitted the door handles with new genuine metal inserts.View attachment 416536

With some warm water, bleach and rice I cleaned up to the two washer bottles. Being an earlier mk2 a washer bottle also sits in the boot.

Before.View attachment 416537
View attachment 416537

After.

View attachment 416538

View attachment 416539

Did you "code" the boot look to the original key Cormac? Was it hard to do? My car has an original key but it only does ignition I think, can't actually remember. But I'd like them all to work from the one key if it isn't a complete ballache to do. Might be easier to just fit aftermarket central looking thinking about it

civicglacier

RMS Regular
Drives
F10 / ATR / S2k
Great progress Cormac. I found the same when you’re rebuilding is when it gets dear, as all the rubbers/grommets/ look too weathered against the fresh paint etc.

I’m gna steal that rice idea for the overflow reservoir for my radiator. Thanks 👌👍

cormac81

RMS Regular
OP
cormac81
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Did you "code" the boot look to the original key Cormac? Was it hard to do? My car has an original key but it only does ignition I think, can't actually remember. But I'd like them all to work from the one key if it isn't a complete ballache to do. Might be easier to just fit aftermarket central looking thinking about it
It was matched to the key profile Alan.

cormac81

RMS Regular
OP
cormac81
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Got out tonight for half an hour and fitted a brand new genuine vw vortex aerial that I nabbed on ebay. It has a nice black finish which should look well when the car is completed. It was nice having the full kit including a new holding bracket.
20231113_203832.jpg
20231113_133048.jpg
20231113_210328.jpg

With it buttoned up I could fit the new GTI wing badges.
20231113_210928.jpg

eamon343

RMS Regular
That's the smart answer to my dumbly worded question! Was it hard to do or just fiddly? Something that's going on the list definitely 👍🏻

Not difficult, just fiddly, you need the correct combination of tumblers so they go flush when you insert the key, just trial and error. It only gets difficult when a spring goes flying and you have to search for it then eventually give up and take a spring from a lighter and use that. Not that that would ever happen.

1598036.jpg

cormac81

RMS Regular
OP
cormac81
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Since the last update I have been futtering with getting the door glass in, window mechanisms, quarter lights with newly powdercoated frames from autoworx. Also fitted the mirrors with new mounting rubbers.
20231113_211031.jpg

I have also started into the interior, firstly stripping down the heater box to put a new matrix and replace the material on the heater flaps which was pretty much non existent.
20231115_114850.jpg

Replaced with new foam that was stencilled and cut to suit.
20231122_114835.jpg

And back into place...so will hopefully the heater controls will work better now.
20231122_125104.jpg

I fitted much of the underlay kit that I bought from vw heritage. I salvaged most of the underlay from the bulkhead which is a lot heavier with a rubber top layer.

20231129_131630.jpg

With the help of @Sonny I cleaned the carpets which weren't too bad.
20231127_155026.jpg

And put roughly into place whilst I get a piece of the interior loom repaired.
20231129_133029.jpg

cormac81

RMS Regular
OP
cormac81
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
I would hate to count up my part spend on this but some of the most recent purchases...

New genuine wheel arch trim. One down..three to go..
20231122_110406.jpg

Shield for the fuel tank that came powdercoated, these are almost impossible to get in one piece. I also purchased a rear heatshield from the same seller.

20231114_105153.jpg

I have also ordered a new windscreen from volkswagen classic parts. Just hoping it arrives in one piece!

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Did you manage to get new rubbers for the 2 door windows? That's the bit I can't seem to source.

Wouldn't worry about the windscreen arriving ok, my E34 one came from Denmark unscathed loose in a big box!

cormac81

RMS Regular
OP
cormac81
Drives
GTI, VRS, Superb
Did you manage to get new rubbers for the 2 door windows? That's the bit I can't seem to source.

Wouldn't worry about the windscreen arriving ok, my E34 one came from Denmark unscathed loose in a big box!
No I haven't yet. I haven't fully buttoned everything up on the hope I do find a slightly better set. I bought a pair about a year ago and went to fit them and they are for a 5 door! I have few other used ones if your totally stuck.

Last edited: