GTI won't start

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Yep though if you want to spec a 4x4 one you start to get into a bit more money. Still cheap for what it is though.

pablo

RMS Moderator
aye someone in our street got one. looks decent enough but prob drives like crap. 2wd and a small petrol engine most likely so dead as hector.

therock

RMS Regular
OP
T
Good news, VW have agreed to take it in for diagnostic @ £56. Have to get it there myself, mind.

It was hard not to tell them I know exactly what is wrong with it. They'll **** themselves when they crack open the rocker cover.

mi16chris

RMS Regular
Drives
210hp clio 182
It was an R27R thing, I heard it needed a couple of engines lol
That's the only 225/r26/r26r I've seen get a engine and it had 3 before 20k miles , I think there has to be something very wrong with ur driving style IMO to do that , I've worked in Renault 10 years now and the 225/r26 r great cars

Conor

RMS Regular
To be fair, being on GTI forums quite a bit, this isn't something that could be called a 'common' problem.

I'd love to know the actual statistic of how many of them go like this, I'd imagine it's a thousandth of a percent.

pablo

RMS Moderator
To be fair, being on GTI forums quite a bit, this isn't something that could be called a 'common' problem.

I'd love to know the actual statistic of how many of them go like this, I'd imagine it's a thousandth of a percent.

people only post when it goes bang though. The bmw forums are full of people with broken swirl flaps or crapped turbos. But doesnt happen that often to "regular" people.

pwrmotorsport

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus

We replaced the cam, valves, etc on a GTi a couple of weeks ago due to this issue - apparently the early engines had 'soft' cams and the replacement was an upgraded VAG part. Our research seemed to show that it is more common than widely reported.

J_Mc_G

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza STi / ZX
I'd just tell them everything, make things go faster and smoother surely

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Although at the end of the day. You have done absolutely nothing wrong.

You've serviced the car at a VW dealer, and if it is this failure, will have absolutely nothing to do with the cars owner. Especially when it is a known common issue.

therock

RMS Regular
OP
T
20130626_100251_zps1179ac92.jpg

Yeeee-haww

therock

RMS Regular
OP
T
Just had a guy on from the servicing department on the phone asking what the problem appeared to be ^o)

"TIMING CHAIN TENSIONER FAILURE"

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
The guy on the phone then said "I think your car is belt driven, Mr Rock"........

facepalm.jpg

This is what you're up against...and what I said earlier. They say something like that, and then you're supposed to have faith that they are competent enough to repair it ?

Most dealers barely manage to do a proper service...some of them cant even change oil and air filters ! ( well..maybe not can't...but don't for whatever reasons )

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Realistically though, it is the most sensible option for VW.

To simply supply a complete engine for them to drop in is the fastest and most surefire way the job is done right.

Having monkeys try and strip and rebuild an engine leaves a lot of risk for the future, which will only result in more warranty expense down the line.

therock

RMS Regular
OP
T
If they do repair it, it would probably cost more.

Both cams, god knows how many valves bent. I could see at least 6. Hopefully it makes more sense to drop one in.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.