How To: Paint wheels on the cheap

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
So turns out Poundland also has filler primer - I'll report back with the results later (picked up some matt black too as per Gobsheene above). Picked up some silver wheel paint from JK Autospares as well for a fiver so I will see how far that can stretch.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
my problem is the fronts are pretty good actually but the rears are well curbed. so cant DIY the rears, and dont want to ruin the fronts by DIYing them to match. So might as well get the lot done.

pablo

RMS Moderator
OP
pablo
seem to be many more happy customers than unhappy so we shall see. There is nothing fancy, just a simple tidy and paint.

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
Just did a quick job on my alloys, total cost was £12 (£5 for simonz silver wheel paint, £7 for primer and paint from poundland for the inner parts which wasn't necessary I suppose)

By no means a pro job but I just wanted to freshen the look up a bit.

uploadfromtaptalk1366930305845.jpg

Kerzo

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon FR
Which Poundlands sell primers and paints?

I think they all have them in various levels of stock. I just went for filler primer and matt black for the inner wheels, didnt care about the finish or longevity so just a coat of each. Managed to spread 3 300ml cans over the 4 wheels.

Cess

RMS Staff
Try the shop B&M Bargains. Cans of lacquer way cheaper than Halford's

big-lew18

RMS Regular
Drives
really well!
Read this whole thread. Anyone advise on how many tins for the face of 4 honda accord alloys? Probably 500ml halfords specials

Last edited:

eamon343

RMS Regular
I bought a few cans of cheap primer from pound world. Wouldn't waste my money on it again. Spend an extra few quid and get something half decent.

Walder

RMS Regular
Ok , had a good read through all of this thread and I am now thinking a cheap set off gumtree and work at them to play with. So little confussed about the whole process.

So from this where is close to Antrim for the sand blasting? and how much would it cost?

Get them blasted. Do i need to sand them again with fine paper or are they good to go with the primer / yellow filler, or if there is bigger scuffs chips fill with iso ? after that its just a job of paint and lacquer ?

Walder

RMS Regular
ok, ordered everything bar the actually paint for the alloys.

I just want something like a factory finish to a standard audi alloy.

anyone any recommendations on a colour to match the below wheel? As I havent really a clue..

IMG_0411.jpg