Impact Guns - Air or Battery Powered?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
Hi Folks,

I'm hoping to add a few more tools to the garage and I'm not sure what route to go down.

I am looking at impact guns to remove stuck or seized fasteners, brake disc bolts, and random stuff...

Are cordless impact guns up to the job, as many seem to be specced for tightening over loosening.

Should I just look at getting a small compressor set-up and throwing something like this gun on it? Clarke: No1 for Tools & Equipment

Thanks in advance,
Neil

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
If you buy a good air gun and it has a good air supply, it can be powerful. But if you buy a cheap/bad one, it may not be powerful.

Exactly same applies to battery guns, there are good and bad, so a lot depends just how powerful do you need ?

Battery can obviously be handy as you can use it anywhere, not so with an air gun. Plus if you get the right one, you can buy drill, grinder,

johna3

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk2Golf/defendr
I would stick with battery unless you intend on putting a good compressor and lines

I've been using a 18V metabo for around a year or so and it has been excellent. I'd use a breaker bar on any of the larger stuff on my land rover but the metabo is capable of everything else

I'm sure @lightning can give you prices for a few different options

Ollie

RMS Regular
I am looking at impact guns to remove stuck or seized fasteners, brake disc bolts, and random stuff...

These nothing my impact gun can take off that I can't with a breaker bar. And I have a big compressor and a decent blue point gun.

Impact Guns just speed things up.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
There's plenty a good impact gun will take off much easier than a breaker bar....if the workpiece isnt secure. ie crank bolts, strut tops etc etc.

In most cases you can apply more torque with a breaker bar, but it isnt always about that. But cheaper guns simply arent that powerful at all. I've had air guns that would barely undo wheel nuts, and others that would blast nearly anything off, all with same air supply.

Likewise I've the small 18v Metabo impact gun, it will undo a correctly torqued up wheel nut, but that's about its limit. Or they do a bigger unit which would be more powerful.

Some of the huge Snap On guns will rattle almost anything off, but they are big heavy brutes. So it just depends what you really need it for ( and budget of course )

PhilM

RMS Regular
Corded is a cheap way of getting good grunt for not a lot of money

Never lift it uncharged etc but obviously same limiting factor as a air tool as you need a power supply

But you don't have the horrific compressor noise

(Based on a small barely competent DIYers perspective )

Phil

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Thanks for all the replies folks.

I've now got two good breaker bars in the garage.

However may aim would be more to attack seized fasteners, for speed more than anything. As I'm a weekend hero :p. Something that could quickly rattle off a rusty faster would be ideal.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
Corded is a cheap way of getting good grunt for not a lot of money

Never lift it uncharged etc but obviously same limiting factor as a air tool as you need a power supply

But you don't have the horrific compressor noise

(Based on a small barely competent DIYers perspective )

Phil

I too have the same thinking, without experience. Being corded wouldn't pose an issue to me.

Any recommendations on a corded impact driver?

Many seem to have VTEC levels of torque though :worried:

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
I would stick with battery unless you intend on putting a good compressor and lines

I've been using a 18V metabo for around a year or so and it has been excellent. I'd use a breaker bar on any of the larger stuff on my land rover but the metabo is capable of everything else

I'm sure @lightning can give you prices for a few different options

I'll certainly be giving @lightning a shout, I just don't know what I need yet :grinning:

NotKG

Banned
i'v a cp air 1/2in drive takes off honda bottom pulleys, thats pretty much the top test, those things are tighter ;) than an alterboy. (the left thread type)
make sure if it's air it's full torque both ways, some are reduced in one direction.

Alan_B

RMS Regular
Drives
Whatever
I'm in the same situation as you @Neil_M so I'll be watching this closely! As much as I really want a snap-on one, its not worth it for all I will use it.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
I'm in the same situation as you @Neil_M so I'll be watching this closely! As much as I really want a snap-on one, its not worth it for all I will use it.

Must not get shiny new toy...

Having the garage rigged up with airlines would be ideal, but massive overkill for all I'd use it as you say :worried:.

NotKG

Banned
air gun and matching comp out of Lidl with a 3 yr warranty,, if you want a budget. and big bar for the super tight nuts.
less than half the price of a snap on gun only which is 1 year warranty.

EP82JM

RMS Regular
If you're looking it for seized bolts then air gun every time. As above, youll need a good compressor etc but a good air set up will out perform a good battery set up every time. And battery guns just don't have the same grunt behind them

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
If I was buying an air one, then I'd need to buy a decent compressor. Then I'd want more tools like sander and a blast cabinet, which would lead to wanting an even better compressor. Then I'd be pushed for space in the garage.

So my solution would be to buy a Milwaukee M18 fuel 1/2" impact gun. The most amazing thing I've ever seen for its size and weight.

I find an impact gun great for loosening (not tightening) hi torque things on motorcycles; swingarm pivots, BMW bevel box components and so on. Trying to undo some of those fasteners, single handed with a breaker bar is next to impossible because the whole part moves or you could end up slipping and causing £££ damage.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
OP
Neil_M
So my solution would be to buy a Milwaukee M18 fuel 1/2" impact gun. The most amazing thing I've ever seen for its size and weight.

From M18 FUEL 1/4" Hex Impact Driver Kit | Milwaukee Tool

"This thing is a beast, we can't even use this thing on 3rd setting as we were literally shearing off half inch bolts in concrete anchors for unistrut, everyone that works with me reaches for this tool"

I wonder would it be what I'm after :p

rupertfinch

RMS Regular
I was about to weigh in with the whole 'snap-on's too dear for what they are' but I see I've been beaten to it. I know they are the choice of mechanics the world over and do produce quality kit but their appeal is surely that the young mechanic buys them on the drip?

So if I were in your boat I'd be looking at Milwaukee or Metabo and I'm sure that @lightening will be able to offer you a few options (it'll be metabo....;)

Corded guns can be got for good money. I've the Clarke beast off Machine Mart and it's fine, though a brute to use in tight spaces.

A compressor and gun is a great idea and offers a load of upgrades in the future, but how often will it be used? Plus you'll need a decent 100l 3hp set up, which is noisy and takes up space.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
From M18 FUEL 1/4" Hex Impact Driver Kit | Milwaukee Tool

"This thing is a beast, we can't even use this thing on 3rd setting as we were literally shearing off half inch bolts in concrete anchors for unistrut, everyone that works with me reaches for this tool"

I wonder would it be what I'm after :p

That's the 1/4" hex you've linked there. I don't even how it can drive a 1/4hex bit without shearing it. I have a 1/4 hex Panasonic 14.4v which has way less power than yours and I've sheared two socket adapters with it. Upgraded to impact spec adapters which should help.

For garage use I'd definitely be going for a 1/2" drive model.

gizmo98

RMS Regular
Drives
Vrs Octavia
The Milwaukee above wouldn't be much use around cars
You need the 1/2 inch one
Your welcome to try mine,I've yet to see it beat

PhilM

RMS Regular
I was about to weigh in with the whole 'snap-on's too dear for what they are' but I see I've been beaten to it. I know they are the choice of mechanics the world over and do produce quality kit but their appeal is surely that the young mechanic buys them on the drip?

So if I were in your boat I'd be looking at Milwaukee or Metabo and I'm sure that @lightening will be able to offer you a few options (it'll be metabo....;)

Corded guns can be got for good money. I've the Clarke beast off Machine Mart and it's fine, though a brute to use in tight spaces.

A compressor and gun is a great idea and offers a load of upgrades in the future, but how often will it be used? Plus you'll need a decent 100l 3hp set up, which is noisy and takes up space.

The corded Clarke thing is my weapon of choice also

Based on my budget, requirements and expectations I'm very pleased with it

Phil

Marty Lad

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 M3
I've got an 18v milwaukee fuel impact gun, really is the business. 5.0ah batteries last forever and it will undo anything. Far handier than an airgun as you can take it anywhere. Deffo go for it, you won't regret it

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
@supermoto_77 has a great cordless gun advertised in the For Sale section. The Milwaukee guns are some of the best on the market, and I'd consider them a better buy than the Snap On 18v 1/2" gun after using both side by side recently.

That said, I haven't tried the Snap On 4.0ah 18v 1/2" yet, but apparently it's an absolute beast. It would need to be at around £650 though, which takes it right out of the equation for DIYers, unless you can find a second hand unit, but they're still fetching £3-400.

Another thing to consider is the size of the gun. Getting the cordless guns in around suspension components and engine bays can be impossible at times, but the likes of the Mac "Daddy Gun" air gun which is 1/2" is very compact, and puts out huge breakaway torque (loosening seized fasteners). Paired with a swivel hose fitting, there's few places you can't get them, and the are only £250 new from Mac with a warranty. Compressor volume output is key though, and you'd need to check what you'd need before committing to a compressor. No point buying 1 to run a gun at half of its capabilities. Better to have more air than not enough, and a compressor working under strain at full capacity all the time won't last worth a crack.

Ge0rge

Banned
How long do the batteries stay charged, if I gave a gun a full charge and put it away and didn't use it for a few weeks or a month could I just grab it and use it if I had to do something short notice or would it have to be put on charge for a few hours after sitting so long before I could use it ?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.