Integra DC5…talk to me

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
So after having the Scooby for a few months I can tick it off my childhood dream car to own list. She will have a full years ticket in a couple of weeks (fingers crossed) and I’m thinking about moving on to another car I’ve always wanted. Integra DC5.

I know very little about them so I’m looking for ownership experiences. You might argue they aren’t worth the £15-18k people are asking for clean ones now but it’s something that isn’t going to lose money I don’t think in the long term.

I know rot is an issue on older imports and the standard synchro problems, but what else needs looking out for? Parts easy to get? What’s the insurance like? It will be daily driven (low miles) with no garage so I can’t get a classic policy.

Any members on here have one I could look around or indeed they could be persuaded to part with?

Any advice welcomed!

RevT

RMS Regular
My three all cost me sub 4.5K about 6-7 years ago. I’d find it hard to justify spending any more than 8K now on one.

You covered the main bits, rot and gearbox problems. Crash damage as alot of them will have been crashed at some point.

Good cars, much nicer than an EP3 but not a 15K car in my opinion. Most parts shouldn’t be too difficult to get.

mikey

RMS Regular
OP
mikey
Drives
Celica
My three all cost me sub 4.5K about 6-7 years ago. I’d find it hard to justify spending any more than 8K now on one.

You covered the main bits, rot and gearbox problems. Crash damage as alot of them will have been crashed at some point.

Good cars, much nicer than an EP3 but not a 15K car in my opinion. Most parts shouldn’t be too difficult to get.
Unfortunately cheaper ones are dog rough. Any I’ve seen online £15k is a good starting price for something to jump into and drive. I agree they aren’t worth that money but that’s what they are making these days!

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
My Friend has a Lovely Championship White one for sale if you want the details

He is based in Dundondald

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
The dealer who imported your scoob originally has a very clean looking DC5 at £12995 (no mention of grade though). I would be going newly imported to get the corrosion free chassis and get it clear undersealed if going to daily it. It will be a very different drive to the impreza without the blower on it.

mikey

RMS Regular
OP
mikey
Drives
Celica
My Friend has a Lovely Championship White one for sale if you want the details

He is based in Dundondald
Is that the one on marketplace? Cracking car but the Scoob has to go before I can make a commitment.
Lovely car don’t get me wrong but after having both a jap spec dc2 would always be my first choice , have you driven a dc2?
The closest I’ve driven to any of these are various EP3s (all UK spec) over the years. I do like a DC2 as well….
The dealer who imported your scoob originally has a very clean looking DC5 at £12995 (no mention of grade though). I would be going newly imported to get the corrosion free chassis and get it clear undersealed if going to daily it. It will be a very different drive to the impreza without the blower on it.

It’s probably not going to be a long term ownership proposition to be honest Barry, after health issues I’ve realised life’s too short so I’m going through all the cars I’ve ever wanted (within financial attainability) just to say I’ve done it.
Subaru is a great driving car but it’s time for a raw NA to Rev the tits off!
Everything is easier sold with a years test so hopefully advertising the Scoob in January. Bar leaking fuel pipes under the manifold it hasn’t give a bit of bother, has used no oil or coolant which is always a bonus on a boxer!

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Jeez sorry to hear your having health issues buddy, I’m sure the scoob will sell pretty easily in the new year, good ones are hard to get now, I’m surprised about leaking fuel pipes under the manifold? I’ve never heard of that being an issue, hope it wasn’t the exhaust manifold!

There is something satisfying about a high revving NA car, the lotus is very much like an vtec and it’s a riot on a back road.

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
The closest I’ve driven to any of these are various EP3s (all UK spec) over the years. I do like a DC2 as well….
Uk spec ep3s where alright as a quick daily but they lacked that appeal integras have , dc5 was great, granted it was more comfortable as revt mentioned but not miles more than a dc2 but there’s just something about dc2s with a jap front and yellow fogs 😂 going back to my youth but again it’s personal preference , drive one and see but if you’ve the patience there quite a few decent ones on tradecarview atm. Importing isn’t that much hassle just time consuming

Todd

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 | A6 | A3
I absolutely loved my DC5. I drove it daily for a few years.

It was pretty economical (if you stayed out of vtec!)

Albeit this was 10 years ago and it was more along the lines of the prices @RevT paid!

PAULW

RMS Regular
Brilliant cars, I've both a DC5 and an Impreza STI. Also used to have a jap dc2, dc5 a lot easier to daily drive than a dc2, plus I much prefer the k20. Not sure what Impreza you have but you'll miss the torque, fair bit quicker than an ep3, though it's hard to notice until you drive them back to back.

What about an E92 m3, a manual one would be a great daily and also a good investment!

(If you aren't dissuaded and want a look round a DC5, I can show you round mine but it's not for sale)

mikey

RMS Regular
OP
mikey
Drives
Celica
Jeez sorry to hear your having health issues buddy, I’m sure the scoob will sell pretty easily in the new year, good ones are hard to get now, I’m surprised about leaking fuel pipes under the manifold? I’ve never heard of that being an issue, hope it wasn’t the exhaust manifold!
Ah I’ll be grand, nothing terminal but when something hits you out of the blue and slows you down you take check of what matters and what you want to get out of life. The wee rubber fuel pipes under the intake manifold just perished with age, apparently a common issue on Bugeyes! Hardest part was removing the intake manifold to replace them but all good now. Just got a whiff of petrol one morning through the interior vents and there was dampness round one of the wee pipes so it didn’t leave me stranded or on fire thankfully!😂

mikey

RMS Regular
OP
mikey
Drives
Celica
Brilliant cars, I've both a DC5 and an Impreza STI. Also used to have a jap dc2, dc5 a lot easier to daily drive than a dc2, plus I much prefer the k20. Not sure what Impreza you have but you'll miss the torque, fair bit quicker than an ep3, though it's hard to notice until you drive them back to back.

What about an E92 m3, a manual one would be a great daily and also a good investment!

(If you aren't dissuaded and want a look round a DC5, I can show you round mine but it's not for sale)
I’ve the Bug STi that @Burt2000 had the start of the year!
On my list is an E36 of some description, probably a well used M3 3.0 which would be in round my budget. I’m looking to have a bit of fun/enjoyment out of all the cars I lusted over as a child in the late 90s/early 00s (albeit a Sapphire Cossie will be out of reach unless a rich uncle I don’t know about dies and leaves me a fortune!)

As good as modern machinery is like the E92 it does nothing for me. Maybe in the future sometime I could settle with something like that but I want to get my hero cars out of the way first!

Might take you up on that offer in the new year just to see what a decent one is like! Thanks.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
I wouldn’t drive a DC5 daily not in this country it’ll start to rot.
There's a guy in Millisle has one as a daily, I can't imagine what it might be like in ten years time when someone goes digging deep, thanks to the salt in the air.

mikey

RMS Regular
OP
mikey
Drives
Celica
I wouldn’t drive a DC5 daily not in this country it’ll start to rot.
It will be a short term ownership proposition and I’m of the mentality cars are made to be driven and enjoyed regardless of weather/season. People laugh when I tell them the Scooby is my only car and daily driven but where’s the craic in it lying up for the next few months waiting on a dry Sunday!?!
Fancy a dc5 project lol
You do the project for me and I’ll buy it ready to drive! Don’t have the time or room to start pulling a car apart unfortunately!

jordan 375

RMS Regular
Drives
Honda
It will be a short term ownership proposition and I’m of the mentality cars are made to be driven and enjoyed regardless of weather/season. People laugh when I tell them the Scooby is my only car and daily driven but where’s the craic in it lying up for the next few months waiting on a dry Sunday!?!

You do the project for me and I’ll buy it ready to drive! Don’t have the time or room to start pulling a car apart unfortunately!
Wouldn't be pulling it apart it would be building it up lol I also don't have the time that's why it's for sale lol

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
They're good cars for sure, I enjoyed mine and used it daily. I do think the DC2 has that more raw and special feeling so if it's a Sunday driver only, I would argue the DC2 would be a better buy - but if you're using it daily, the DC5 is definitely easier to live with so probably more suitable.