Mk7 Golf R Dsg

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
In a way I'm kind of sorry I got a nice one right when the M3 sold, I was hoping to be without a car for a few weeks cause my mate was going to lend me a car he isn't driving................an Aston Martin DB9 :joy:

I rang this morning to tell him I wouldn’t be needing a loaner!

I think I'd have hid the Golf for a week or 2 and took it anyway!!!

That aside, those are the best looking wheels for them if you ask me. Bro in law has a 3 door one, and have to say they are a great car to drive.

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
I think I'd have hid the Golf for a week or 2 and took it anyway!!!

That aside, those are the best looking wheels for them if you ask me. Bro in law has a 3 door one, and have to say they are a great car to drive.
Funny I did say to him I was going to leave a deposit on it but couldn't lift it for 3 weeks.........

I'll maybe borrow it when the weather improves, it's not Aston weather!

Reactions: AMG

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
Well the Revo stage 1 is done.....................................this was my facial expression when I tried the launch control..................

th

It does 60 in 3.7 seconds alright, it lit all 4 tyres on the damp road. The last time I felt 0-60 like that was on my GSXR1000!

Crazy to think you can challenge a 997 turbo or a GTR from the lights in a Golf:laughing:

Great service from Chris and Graham at TG Performance.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
happy days - are you able to record your 0-60 in the car?

I have only tested my launch once since I went stage 2

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
happy days - are you able to record your 0-60 in the car?

I have only tested my launch once since I went stage 2
Only on the butt dyno!

The boost is transformed, it's higher up the rev range now so makes a big difference. I think the stage 2 drops the 0-60 to 3.6 sec!

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
Which is faster M3 or R after the map ?
Definitely the Golf to 60 and maybe to 100, after that I'd say level until silly speed and then I think the M3 would go on to 175mph I'd guess though mine was never any where near that in my ownership.

The thing with the M3 is that its not very road useable power, its got it all at around 7000-8300rpm and in a manual you need to be in 2nd or 3rd gear to use it on the road, then when its wet you don't have the traction. The M3 is such a fantastic car to drive on a nice big fast B road in the dry, on a few occasions I used to take the long way home after nightshift when all the traffic was going the other way:cool:.

The Golf has a lot of lower down power and is shorter geared so much better and easier to use in all weathers and roads.

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
I found in manual with the DSG the steering wheel paddles are too low, you hold the wheel at 10 o'clock and 2 and the paddles are at 3 and 9. I don't use them much but still............fitted a pair of paddle extensions and now they are right where I want them.

DSC_0026.JPG

Dave..

RMS Regular
I found in manual with the DSG the steering wheel paddles are too low, you hold the wheel at 10 o'clock and 2 and the paddles are at 3 and 9. I don't use them much but still............fitted a pair of paddle extensions and now they are right where I want them.

View attachment 179491
Good job, i hated the standard paddles in my Golf R, never used them as they were in the wrong place.

Gambit

RMS Regular
I found in manual with the DSG the steering wheel paddles are too low, you hold the wheel at 10 o'clock and 2 and the paddles are at 3 and 9.

apparently it is now advisable to hold the wheel at 3 and 9 due to airbag safety - 10 & 2 is regarded as best practice only for non airbag non power steering cars!

paddles are nice job though (y)

combergti

RMS Regular
Drives
mk6 golf gti
apparently it is now advisable to hold the wheel at 3 and 9 due to airbag safety - 10 & 2 is regarded as best practice only for non airbag non power steering cars!

paddles are nice job though (y)

Reckon it's easier to steer when pushing on at 9 + 3

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
Gave it it's first proper clean - buffed, polished and repainted the brake disc bells due to rust. I hate rusty brakes! Though the previous owner clearly used to wash it and then not dry the brakes as the back discs are scored with surface rust, either that or he never braked hard!

Now I hope the weather stays good for a while.

DSC_0031.JPG
DSC_0032.JPG
DSC_0028.JPG
DSC_0027.JPG

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
I need to do the brakes on mine, it's known issue with them from the factory

Cars looking well.

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
It could really do with new back discs but that would only be for aesthetics, there's nothing wrong with them. I'm doing a bit of hard braking now and again to try to get them looking better.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
With, but I would never bother going to the effort of actually doing it I don’t think! Did you buy a pre made kit, or cut it yourself?

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
I've ways quite liked the look they give however like @Lyons I don't know if i could be bothered. I've a ceramic coating on the car too so not sure if they'd actually stick.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Checked eBay and they are precut, one pair at £7 which get bad reviews as they’re cut out with scissors, and another pair at £10.

Given that all the work is done, I may actually be tempted!