Mot To Have 22 New Checks

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Chris Mac

RMS Regular
Drives
MK8 GTi CS
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-15738915

Can only be a good thing to keep some dangerous scrappers off the road.

(edited by admin to add the 22 items!)

1. Hazard Warning lights, switch and tell-tales
2. Headlamp main beam tell-tale
3. High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps, washing and levelling system
4. Electrical socket for trailers, including the function of 13 pin sockets
5. Steering, suspension, brake and transmission dust covers/gaiters
6. Steering wheel locking mechanism
7. Power steering and malfunction indicator lamp (MIL)
8. Brake fluid levels including warning lamps
9. Electronic Parking Brake and Electronic Braking Systems malfunction indicator lamp
10. Electronic stability control system and malfunction indicator lamp
11. Tyre Pressure Monitoring system warning lamp
12. Supplementary Restraint Systems (SRS), including airbags, seatbelt pretensioners and load limiters
13. Driver’s seat adjustment mechanism
14. Tow-bar assembly
15. Emission control systems including catalytic converter
16. An increase of brake efficiency (for 2012 cars onwards only)
17. Illumination of speedometers

The remaining apply to goods vehicles and trailers. For the full list and descriptions see http://applications.doeni.gov.uk/publications/document.asp?docid=18114

Bryan

RMS Regular
Can JCLC shed any more light on this?
What are power steering indicators??

Must be something to do with cars that have electric power steering. I know when my steering wasn't working properly in the Octavia the orange steering warning light came on until it was resolved.

Ge0rge

Banned
Before everyone panics and advertises their car on gumtree.....

"If any of the new requirements are found to be defective, the customers will be advised of the issues but the vehicle will not be failed."

Bryan

RMS Regular
This can only be a good thing for modern cars but for classic owners like myself this is just another pain in the back side.

It's going to get to the stage where you drive a car into the test centre and they present you with a pile of metal and a bucket of bolts out the other.

Nothing annoys me more than seeing a good classic car being lifted by the sills on those stupid lifts.

r6kyl

RMS Regular
Drives
Tweed hat and sl
Whats a steering lock? is that when you take the key out and the wheel locks or is it the full turn of the wheel "lock" to make sure your wheels arent hitting?
Silly question i know but im confused lol

Ceebl

RMS Regular
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
anyone want to buy a ruined corsa with no mot from next april? llf

horsepower

RMS Regular
Drives
Landcruiser
"If any of the new requirements are found to be defective, the customers will be advised of the issues but the vehicle will not be failed."

but only for those tested between January and April 2012, if your test is due in May then the car will be failed if it doesn't meet all the new requirements

Ceebl

RMS Regular
Drives
330d/C2 Loeb
haha sweet maybe get lucky for another year!! then the wee corsa will be away anyway, prob to the big scrappage pile in the sky

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Your thread i think referred to general VOSA changes. This has now hit our own DVANI setup with many more changes in the recently published document.

I think they should have come to RMS as part of the consultation process lol!

R9UKE

RMS Member
Hmmm my Avantime and Laguna both have Xenon headlights with washers that DON'T work. These were always supposed to have been tested but never have been, so I'm not convinced that they'll be strict with the washers on HIDs. And tyre pressure monitors being tested? That's not great news for Renault owners....

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
48 new checks actually.....

There will be a 3 month advisory period

I get my training on / around 16th Dec, when I know truth and not rumours I'll post up a comprehensive list

From what I do know, most of the changes are very minor and things that most people think we check anyway

The biggest changes will be dash warning light having to work, ie SRS, TC, ABS ect also dust boot on steering / suspension joints have to be intact

Souleh

RMS Regular
Drives
Astra coupe / ZX
Seems like common sense and as much of a pain as it can be when things go wrong - Id like to think that if I bought a car with a recent MOT that it would be in good health. (y)

(Bugger bugger bugger on the cat tho!!)

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Anything about the tow bar plating? I've my MOT this December so not really an urgent issue but I like to have it so that it could pass MOT any day, not just one in the year if you know what I mean. So if it needs a plate I'll sort it.

Keep us updated! :grinning:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Can JCLC shed any more light on this?
What are power steering indicators??

Some cars have electric power steering, and have a warning lamp ( many Vauxhalls )

Why dont they just teach the stupid, half-consious, morons that think it is a right to hold a driving lisense how to drive properly....

Nowdays, cars arent the problem, the half-wits behind the wheel are.

So so true. But how would that generate money for them ?

Whats a steering lock? is that when you take the key out and the wheel locks or is it the full turn of the wheel "lock" to make sure your wheels arent hitting?
Silly question i know but im confused lol

Quite relevant to the post above. Of course its's the lock on the wheel to supposedly prevent thefts.

I guess regarding the towbar. If there is no ball hitch fitted....no towbar is fitted for the purposes of a test ?

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
6. Steering wheel locking mechanism
15. Emission control systems including catalytic converter

How is the steering wheel lock a safety issue?

As for Cat, well, they are completely useless anyway. Ah well, better get a race cat then :worried:

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.