Mot To Have 22 New Checks

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Dominoka

RMS Regular
Drives
Nova/Vento
Maybe a silly question but I take it if your car doesnt have those things you wont have to add them? They just have to be working if they are there?

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Like I say, I'm not fully informed about the changes, towbars have to be type approved, but there is a year, I think its 1996 on.

HID will now have to follow manufacture & build regs, so need self levelers and a cleaning device, theres something about steering locks working correctly, hazard lights and switch must work.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
This is what a collegue has sent me.......

These come into affect from 1st January 2012, but there will be a three month grace period, so you will not fail on these items until 1st April 2012. I typed out these very quickly so I might not be 100% accurate on them. Also, we don't know yet if some of the items below will be a major or minor fault but I will let you know as soon as I hear anything.

Hazard warning light switch.

HID & LED headlights, self levelling or cleaning device missing, inoperative or obviously defective.

Main beam 'tell tale' light.

Electrical trailer sockets, 12s and 12n sockets must be in working condition and secure, euro 13 pin socket will get checked that it is working.

End outline and side markers lights.

Steering....

Inappropriate repairs.

Steering lock.

Steering joint dust cover.

Steering lock to lock.

Steering lock stops must be fitted if it was fitted as standard.

No significant oil leaking from steering box.

Power steering fluid level.

Power steering hoses.

Power steering MIL.

Suspension....

Inappropriate repair or modification.

Driveshaft support bearing.

Suspension joint dust cover.

CV boots.

Brakes....

Inappropriate repair or modification.

Brake fluid warning light.

Parking brake MIL.

Condition of handbrake electrical actuator mountings/mounting area.

Handbrake cable guide.

Brake slack adjuster.

ESC/ESP MIL.

Additional braking devices (retarders).

58% service brake efficiency on M1 vehicles from 1st January 2012.

Road wheels....

Inappropriate repairs.

Tyres....

Tyre pressure monitoring system MIL.

Seat belts/SRS....

SRS MIL.

Airbags are fitted and not defective.

Seat belt load limiters.

Seat belt pretensioners.

Seats....

Seat slide adjustment.

Tow bar....

Inappropriate repairs or modifications.

Exhaust....

Petrol vehicle requires catalytic convertor from 1st July 2002.

View of the road....

Glass regulations applies to all goods vehicles

LPG vehicles....

Check for leaks.

Speedo....

Condition of speedo.

Andy044

RMS Regular
Drives
^^^^^^
Brake fluid levels including warning lamps
How will the Brake fluid warning lamps be tested?
Surely the fluid will not be drained to see if the light comes on.

Also what sort of time will all this add to the duration of the test, I hate the nervewrecking 10-15 minutes watching the test wondering if its failed particulary when the tester seems to spend a life time under the car poking at the rusty bits lol

bluntcap

RMS Regular
Drives
2018 Golf R
Only 2 main things I see for most people with modern modded cars would be the CAT and HIDs, the HIDs for me are easily replaced and then refitted, but swapping manifolds over will be a pain, only once a year I guess but still.

Just to clarify JCLC.....Car made from the 1st of July 2002 on wards must have the CAT in place, regardless of the emissions? As opposed to cars 2002 and earlier instead of later lol

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
We're mechanic's, we have ways of testing cee systems :laughing:

Brake fluid caps have a test point on them, also the light is meant to come on when the ign is switched on, as is the case with abs / srs

the cat thing was always the case, just never enforced, its actually meant to be cars built after 1991 must have a cat (according to the EU) When DSCT was brought in a few years ago, the law was changed in NI for cars after 2001, but when DSCT was withdrawn, so was the reg's for cats, now vehicles registered after 1st July 2002 must have a cat, also on the issue of dates, many cars come in with incorrect dates of reg, they are showing on screen the date reg'd in NI, so many english cars show incorrect date of reg, I'd imagine unless you produce your V5 at time of test, you may be issued a refusal based on the reg date on screen.

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
Why dont they just teach the stupid, half-consious, morons that think it is a right to hold a driving lisense how to drive properly....

Nowdays, cars arent the problem, the half-wits behind the wheel are.

This is the truth undeniable truth.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
LPG, test for leaks....now surely they arent going to inspect the complete installation with a gas detector to see if there are leaks ?

DC.

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
this will put some amount of cars off the road if they start to fail cars for things listed above.

a new xenon headlight will be th value of some cars.

Souleh

RMS Regular
Drives
Astra coupe / ZX
this will put some amount of cars off the road if they start to fail cars for things listed above.

a new xenon headlight will be th value of some cars.

Scrappage scheme minus the cash incentive, now you see why they brought it in ;)

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
do u still only get 15mins to check all this (y)
We actually get 21mins per car, but they are booked in 20 min slots with 5 mins catch up time every 6 cars, taxi's get a 25 min slot. TBH, although it sounds like alot, its more or less what we are already looking at, just turn a blind eye to most of it.

Don't know about LPG systems, personally if I got a smell of gas from an LPG car, I would be issuing a refusal anyway, you can usually hear the LPG system leaking anyway

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
HID will now have to follow manufacture & build regs, so need self levelers and a cleaning device.
This will be an interesting one for some cars (like the 98 spec jap Integras) where they dont come with self levellers or a cleaning device :confounded: Or do they get a by-ball being like that from factory?

Certainly all sounds like a complete pain in the rectum, but probably does just sound worse than it is...

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Reference the HID bit and the leveling system

My car from factory in japan has HID kit. Its not aftermarket and was a expensive factory fit optional extra. However has no self level or wash system.
How does that work. It does have sports suspension which i read somewhere means that leveling system is not required.
Any idea ?
Its 1999

Karlos Da Jackle

RMS Regular
Drives
PUG 306+GSI CARL
I appreciate the need for safety, and agree all cars should be road leagl and operating correctly.

But bloody hell. soon be time to start buying a new car every 4 years,lol.

And as mentioned above if the do-nuts behind the wheel were giving as strict of testing, the roads would be far safer.

syecadelic

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo IX
This is what a collegue has sent me.......

Power steering MIL.

Apologies for what may be a stupid question.. MIL ? what does this mean.

Tyre pressure monitoring systems, I have this installed on my car, however have aftermarket wheels fitted, so didnt get the sensors swapped from the standard wheels, the dash light is on, so obviously removing the bulb would be the best bet probably?
How can they check the Tyre pressure monitoring system?

Also, what is the craic with a sun strip to legal level on the glass (The wee A with an arrow beside it ) Doesnt come past sun visor at all, rather pointles maybe in some peoples opinions. (Again i know the sun strip is a grey area and i dont want to open a can of worms everywhere!)

Karlos Da Jackle

RMS Regular
Drives
PUG 306+GSI CARL
The sunstrip thing, is a weird one.

One of the old sayings used to be, it is legal as long as the wipers don't overlap on it, so like the top 4 inches probably of the windscreen.

I know the felt spec is having it half way down the window,lol.

On a safety aspect side of it, i can't see any reason behind it, like the bigger teh sunstrip, less chance you'll get blinded by the sun and crash. As long as you can see out the window, can't see the problem.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Id like to think that if I bought a car with a recent MOT that it would be in good health

You would think so, but it's rarely the case. I bought a car recently which was test a week prior. Handbrake didn't work. Rear subframe bushes were obliterated. Holes in the sills. Bottom arm bush in the front was hanging out of it. Track rod ends in both sides were funked. Spare tire was down to the canvas. Horn didn't work. Brake lights were blown and only the 3rd brake light on the spoiler worked. There was other small things, but they all added up to 1 big ball ache.

The car was bought real cheap though, and anything I felt it needed straight away, it got, but it just shows that an MOT cert means very little to a cars actual condition and that a car shouldn't be bought on the strength of it unless your willing to work on it...

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Jesus Nicky thats wild :confounded: Has to have been a pal of a tester or a bought certificate surely with all that?! Especially if theres holes in it :confounded:

I wonder if there's a **** storm going down over on con55 with this news :party:

syecadelic

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo IX
You would think so, but it's rarely the case. I bought a car recently which was test a week prior. Handbrake didn't work. Rear subframe bushes were obliterated. Holes in the sills. Bottom arm bush in the front was hanging out of it. Track rod ends in both sides were funked. Spare tire was down to the canvas. Horn didn't work. Brake lights were blown and only the 3rd brake light on the spoiler worked. There was other small things, but they all added up to 1 big ball ache.

The car was bought real cheap though, and anything I felt it needed straight away, it got, but it just shows that an MOT cert means very little to a cars actual condition and that a car shouldn't be bought on the strength of it unless your willing to work on it...
apart from that it was as good as new

Souleh

RMS Regular
Drives
Astra coupe / ZX

Id like to think that you could report it cause clearly it never deteriorated that much in a week!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.