Mot To Have 22 New Checks

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Rfg

RMS Regular
mine ended up over in teh PSV section and had the 4wd system checked on the rollers over there. he mentioned it was to do with testing the way it is working under load. tbh I was only 4 days after an op and still not fit to move so really wasnt listening tbh. he said they have changed the way jeeps are tested with the 4wd

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
JCLC - any more info on this? ^^^

Only time I know they put you onto a 4wd rolling road in a 4x4 is if your gearbox doesn't have the ability to select 2wd only and they want to do the brake test. Guy asked me about this just before I went onto a 2wd rolling road in December there and I was able to confirm that I had the XJ in RWD only mode. In saying that that wouldn't be a change from last year, that'd be the same. Can't see anything about 4wd load testing but maybe that's because I've missed it. Hopefully Andy can confirm what it entails.

CR

RMS Regular
Drives
A4 Avant
Handy we slip in with the MOT advisory letter about the new changes that have Been outlined above by PeteM.

rhythmeister

RMS Regular
Drives
BL5 B4/Eunos
JCLC - any more info on this? ^^^

Only time I know they put you onto a 4wd rolling road in a 4x4 is if your gearbox doesn't have the ability to select 2wd only and they want to do the brake test. Guy asked me about this just before I went onto a 2wd rolling road in December there and I was able to confirm that I had the XJ in RWD only mode. In saying that that wouldn't be a change from last year, that'd be the same. Can't see anything about 4wd load testing but maybe that's because I've missed it. Hopefully Andy can confirm what it entails.

My 4 Cam is full time 4WD and as far as I'm aware I went over the standard rollers and did a standard brake test, that was lane 5 in Balmoral by the way if that sheds any light on the matter ;)

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
If lane 5 is the one on the far right then that's the one I went on. PSV is lane 1 though?

josh897

RMS Regular
Drives
Mk2 Leon
going to book in for m.o.t next week, so im assuming they will pick up on the decat and hids but they will only give an advisory and not fail on it??

syecadelic

RMS Regular
Drives
Evo IX
going to book in for m.o.t next week, so im assuming they will pick up on the decat and hids but they will only give an advisory and not fail on it??
not sure, they are easing the new rule in, decat is allowed depending of the age of car, HIDS, possibly a 'get them out, but ok for today?'

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
mine ended up over in teh PSV section and had the 4wd system checked on the rollers over there. he mentioned it was to do with testing the way it is working under load. tbh I was only 4 days after an op and still not fit to move so really wasnt listening tbh. he said they have changed the way jeeps are tested with the 4wd
Its the 4WD brake test, its nothing to do with testing 4WD

My 4 Cam is full time 4WD and as far as I'm aware I went over the standard rollers and did a standard brake test, that was lane 5 in Balmoral by the way if that sheds any light on the matter ;)
Lane 5 is the 4WD lane in Balmoral, most perminant 4WD cars will go over a standard brake test, its only the ones with centre diff's can cause problems (diff's not the right word, but I can't think what its called) the likes of EVo's, Scooby's, RX4's, CRV's and Freelander's. Even if the examiner tries to do standard test on a 4WD vehicle, the rollers have load sensors which cut the rollers out if resistance is felt on start up, so nothing will ever get damaged

If lane 5 is the one on the far right then that's the one I went on. PSV is lane 1 though?

PSV is for taxi's / buses, Lane 1 is for lorries, Lane 2 is whats called a combi lane, has a pit for lorries and a ramp for cars at the far end of it

Correct

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.