Mot To Have 22 New Checks

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

C4L

RMS Regular
I've yet to see a decent set fitted to any car.

they just don't look right in my opinion.

anyway come April 2012 it'll not be an issue :grinning:

OI! I've a set lol I see what you mean, think they do look a little cheaper in general although I didn't buy a cheapy set and got 6k so they look ok, but the vast majority I have to agree are a nusince. getting blinded by a bright blue light coming up the road to see some 1.0 corsa and hear a huge backbox go passed annoys the hell out of me!

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
every one of them articles say 'proposed changes', changes that 'could' come into effect as early as the new year. None of the articles actually state or confirm that this is actually going to happen.

With regards to airbag lights, what if a car has an occupancy sensor which has failed (which puts an airbag warning on the dash) but the actual airbag is working 100% fine in the event of a collision?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
every one of them articles say 'proposed changes', changes that 'could' come into effect as early as the new year. None of the articles actually state or confirm that this is actually going to happen.

With regards to airbag lights, what if a car has an occupancy sensor which has failed (which puts an airbag warning on the dash) but the actual airbag is working 100% fine in the event of a collision?

I presume like ABS, they arent checking the actual functionality of the system.

Only that the warning lights illuminate and extinguish according to a certain routine when you turn the ignition on.

Brennan

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
the airbag is fine, its just a stupid sensor which gets confused, which has put the warning light on the dash

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
its the complete cheap chav blue 8000k and above that sickens me and blinds you!

Majority of kits I've seen fitted or had anything to do with have been 6k, and they look terrible. It's the headlight unit itself that is not designed for the HID bulbs and can not emit thier pattern properly, leaving them glowing like a nuclear turd in a pew on the front of the car...

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
the airbag is fine, its just a stupid sensor which gets confused, which has put the warning light on the dash

You can't determine that the airbag is fine without setting it off...

I'd rather pay whatever the price of the sensor and fit it than taste the steering wheel in the event of a crash. Any decent diagnostics system will tell you exactly which sensor it is you need, so it'll only then be a case of installing it which will leave you with a properly functioning airbag system and indeed nothing to worry about when these changes do come into play on the 1st of April...

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

If the light is on, it indicates a problem. Whether simple or not, the MOT people dont know or care. Lights in will be a fail.

Although it does raise the same question again. What about many rally cars ? All of which must be road legal.

Most certainly wont comply with ABS rules, and I cant see any complying with airbag rules, or ESP if the original car ever had it fitted.

And a diagnostics tester will certainly point you in the right direction. There is no guarantee that because it says something is at fault, that it is that specific item that is at fault. It could be wiring, a connector or other items that work together or around the particular item it says causing the fault.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I think it's VOSA that suggest they may be happening and arent giving a definite date.

Certainly no big wait for an MOT date at the minute anyway.

I just booked one a few hours ago for first thing tomorrow morning !! The centre must be empty tomorrow there were that many slots available

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
And a diagnostics tester will certainly point you in the right direction. There is no guarantee that because it says something is at fault, that it is that specific item that is at fault. It could be wiring, a connector or other items that work together or around the particular item it says causing the fault.

That's true. The diagnostic machine is only as good as the person using it.

I'd an Almera in last year which was showing the EML on the dash. Plugged it in and got the code for the crank angle sensor being faulty. Sensor was fine though and the problem was actually that the timing chain had stretched to its max and the tensioner could do no more for it. New timing chain kit and alot of stripping, swearing, rebuilding and more swearing had it sorted though, meaning no more problems with starting and idling.

Souleh

RMS Regular
Drives
Astra coupe / ZX
Diagnostics is a pure arse. I finally fixed my Traction control (Torque Reduction Malfunction errr) light tonight which was caused by the airflow sensor being duff...... Money the average person does not need to spend

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Diagnostics is a pure arse. I finally fixed my Traction control (Torque Reduction Malfunction errr) light tonight which was caused by the airflow sensor being duff...... Money the average person does not need to spend
Do you think you're better than average or what??

Stevie, booking have been slack round this time of the year for the past 2-3 years, when waiting times were 6 weeks + that kept us busy through the quiet times. Saturday night in our place after 6.30, we had about 8 cars for 9 men to test in 2 hours, there should've been over 50!

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
That's true. The diagnostic machine is only as good as the person using it.

I'd an Almera in last year which was showing the EML on the dash. Plugged it in and got the code for the crank angle sensor being faulty. Sensor was fine though and the problem was actually that the timing chain had stretched to its max and the tensioner could do no more for it. New timing chain kit and alot of stripping, swearing, rebuilding and more swearing had it sorted though, meaning no more problems with starting and idling.

Common problem, and ****ty ****ty cars.

Guy this morning was saying the same. Some evenings they have only 1 or two cars, and they have to stay til the death. Boring...but easy money all the same. Only 2 months ago when I booked my van, it was around 4 weeks.

Souleh

RMS Regular
Drives
Astra coupe / ZX
Do you think you're better than average or what??

No but the link between an air flow meter and a traction control module arent exactly clear and im sure theres worse gremlins people will have to chase in order to keep some silly lights off the screen. Thats a vauxhall 1.8 engine so not exactly rare and the problem wasnt documented anywhere except people chasing the fault. Im sure theres worse.

If I had to take my car off the road to find and fix then could have spent silly amounts of money swapping bits left, right and centre to satisfy the test - on a 10 year old astra..

The fact the bike test hasnt changed one bit shows this isnt about safety but new car sales etc..

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Well, in your expert opinion, what would you liked changed in a bike test?

And these changes have SFA to do with the government, its new EU legislation, so hardly anything to do with new car sales ect....

Stevie, internet booking can book up to 1 hour before the test, so yeah, we need to stay to the death, however, its not just standing around, usually paperwork / computer work or something needs done

Souleh

RMS Regular
Drives
Astra coupe / ZX
Why does NI have such an extensive test for cars yet the bike test consists of a burnout and a visual once over?

This isnt inline with the rest of the UK either. How do you check a bikes bearings or brake performance on a test?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Well, in your expert opinion, what would you liked changed in a bike test?

And these changes have SFA to do with the government, its new EU legislation, so hardly anything to do with new car sales ect....

Stevie, internet booking can book up to 1 hour before the test, so yeah, we need to stay to the death, however, its not just standing around, usually paperwork / computer work or something needs done

The guy earlier said when kept late they play football.....lol

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Why does NI have such an extensive test for cars yet the bike test consists of a burnout and a visual once over?

This isnt inline with the rest of the UK either. How do you check a bikes bearings or brake performance on a test?
You mean our minimum standard test?

I've never seen a bike doing a burnout at an MOT centre. Bikes are generally smaller than cars, so don't require shacker plates to check bushes and bearings, also bikes in NI are generally kept in good condition, wish I could say the same for the piece of **** scooters!

As for brake check, pull the brake and try to move the bike, ain't rocket science! I dread the day they want us to test bike brakes on a rolling road, they are damn near impossible to hold upright

DEE.F.

RMS Member
Drives
A nice and sensi
Well I can see a lot more backhanders happening in our local mot centres from now on..... I know the balmoral centre will be seeing a lot of bling on there staff during the next few months. The £50 back door fees Will be flying around..... And I think it's great...... Fk the system

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.