Motorbike test and 1st bike advice

saxo_man

RMS Regular
If you're not wanting to go mad in to big bikes some of the Royal Enfields are lovely retro styled urban commuter bikes in the 300-600cc bracket. One of my team commutes on a Classic 500 which is nice. I quite fancy a Scram which is their 400cc scrambler styled runabout.

Could be an alternative to the scooter idea just.
Cheers. Currently looking at manual 125cc bikes here, just to get practice on, to get my test on a manual bike. I can then sell it on? Is that a better approach to the bike license, and go straight to full A class?

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
Honestly I'd just get the idea of a 125 out of your head. I did my full test last year having never set foot on a motorcycle before and the instructor was using 600 Kawasaki. I wouldn't want anything smaller. A 125 you'd feel like a sitting duck holding up cars. A bigger bike gives you options. It's no more dangerous than a small bike since you control the throttle but at least you're more likely to be seen, can get out of the way of traffic and can keep up with traffic.

You don't need to buy a bike to do your test either. I just had lessons and used instructor bike for test as that is what I was used to. Then afterwards bought a 750 Aprilia Dorsoduro.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Honestly I'd just get the idea of a 125 out of your head. I did my full test last year having never set foot on a motorcycle before and the instructor was using 600 Kawasaki. I wouldn't want anything smaller. A 125 you'd feel like a sitting duck holding up cars. A bigger bike gives you options. It's no more dangerous than a small bike since you control the throttle but at least you're more likely to be seen, can get out of the way of traffic and can keep up with traffic.

You don't need to buy a bike to do your test either. I just had lessons and used instructor bike for test as that is what I was used to. Then afterwards bought a 750 Aprilia Dorsoduro.
Going to see who does lessons and tests locally and go from there! Cheers.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Whilst going through gumtree several times a day over the past week looking for something to learn on, most of the small bikes look pretty tatty with the tanks dented and scrapes all over, or were overpriced, or had been parked up for the past number of years. Then this wee bike popped up for sale just down the road, with a full years MOT on Wednesday. MOT check showed that the bike has been regularly used each year. I took a run straight over, had a chat with the owner and left a deposit. Trailered it home last night and parked it up in the garage. It's a 2005 Honda CG125 in blue, 26k miles on it. Cosmetically it is in really nice condition, start on the button, and importantly was very reasonably priced. Buzzing is an understatment. CBT booked for a couple of weeks time.

IMG_5650.jpeg

domo gti

RMS Regular
Drives
6n2/PoloGTI+
Whilst going through gumtree several times a day over the past week looking for something to learn on, most of the small bikes look pretty tatty with the tanks dented and scrapes all over, or were overpriced, or had been parked up for the past number of years. Then this wee bike popped up for sale just down the road, with a full years MOT on Wednesday. MOT check showed that the bike has been regularly used each year. I took a run straight over, had a chat with the owner and left a deposit. Trailered it home last night and parked it up in the garage. It's a 2005 Honda CG125 in blue, 26k miles on it. Cosmetically it is in really nice condition, start on the button, and importantly was very reasonably priced. Buzzing is an understatment. CBT booked for a couple of weeks time.

View attachment 404952
Excellent @saxo_man my bike instructor had me out on one of them afew times before getting on the bigger bikes and it was great for starting out on, very easy to ride!
You will be busting to get out a run on it now you have it home!!
Health to wheelie 😎

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Excellent @saxo_man my bike instructor had me out on one of them afew times before getting on the bigger bikes and it was great for starting out on, very easy to ride!
You will be busting to get out a run on it now you have it home!!
Health to wheelie 😎
Cheers! Need to learn how to use clutch and gears etc, so feel happier on this small bike.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Great wee bike to learn on.Are you local to the area?I'm in Draperstown
Outside Cookstown. My wife’s from outside Draperstown. I was out last night sitting on it the garage like a big child, started it and just got a feel for the switches etc. If it stops raining I’ll get a wee run round the house.

Slimsbikers

RMS Regular
Drives
S1000xr
Outside Cookstown. My wife’s from outside Draperstown. I was out last night sitting on it the garage like a big child, started it and just got a feel for the switches etc. If it stops raining I’ll get a wee run round the house.
Reason I was asking is because I'm training to become a bike instructor so if you wanted a bit of help getting started you can give me a shout.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Reason I was asking is because I'm training to become a bike instructor so if you wanted a bit of help getting started you can give me a shout.
Thanks that would be fantastic. I'm sorting out all the paperwork next week, CBT pretty much organised for second week in August, so after that 👌

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various

chopaholic

RMS Regular
Drives
JZ S15 / X5
Which app/website is best to practise for your motorbike theory? Don't mind paying a small price for an app if its good.

Edit: Just realised the DVLA have a website for training you.

WSK

RMS Regular
Drives
R

View attachment 404952

Have a wee CG also.. and its great craic. As said, you'll want a 600 at least when you pass the test (and you'll instructor will/should have you on one very quickly) but i always have a laugh ripping the 125.. Going to Scrambler style my own i think as its only a toy.

Great decision going for the test, push on and stick with it now.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Well done on the 50/50
Cheers Lee. I got 67 in the other part, happy to pass that as it’s a bit more unpredictable. If everyone who drives had to pass that every five years, I reckon there would be a lot less drivers on the roads.

Reactions: Lee

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
Cheers Lee. I got 67 in the other part, happy to pass that as it’s a bit more unpredictable. If everyone who drives had to pass that every five years, I reckon there would be a lot less drivers on the roads.
its not that difficult to pass when you're sitting there applying your brain for a few mins. it's the 99.9% of the rest of the time on the roads when people are switched off/distracted.

PS. also passed theory test in July. Got 49/50 but the fact that I don't know what I got wrong still bugs me a bit.

Lee

RMS Regular

That's a good result in the hazard perception too. I agree, the questions are pretty straightforward if you devote some time to doing a few practice tests. But with the hazard perception, I found that my practice tests went something like, pass/fail/pass/fail. But I was pleasantly surprised that the videos in the actual test were of much higher quality, making it easier.

Anyway, good luck on your Hayabusa 🤣