Motorbike test and 1st bike advice

saxo_man

RMS Regular
its not that difficult to pass when you're sitting there applying your brain for a few mins. it's the 99.9% of the rest of the time on the roads when people are switched off/distracted.

PS. also passed theory test in July. Got 49/50 but the fact that I don't know what I got wrong still bugs me a bit.
It would be a good start at least. But I still doubt the people I passed on the way to and back from Portadown to do test the could pass it.
1) I’m in right lane about to enter roundabout. Van beside me in left lane. Both stationary waiting for car to pass from right. I’m heading for exit four so about 3/4 way round. Van proceeds the whole way around the outside lane of the roundabout to take same turnoff, I had to take necessary action to avoid.
2) motorbike coming towards me with no lights on at 9pm, invisible apart from sound until last second, scrambler type bike on main road.
3) car then pulls out in front of me with no lights on from filling station, just after bike passes me.
I felt like I was in a real life hazard perception test.

clrrk

RMS Regular
Drives
S14A
Passed my off road test today, on road booked for next week 🤞

Screenshot 2023-09-12 at 17.31.06.png

WSK

RMS Regular
Drives
R
Good Job lads!! Great feeling.

Any Helmet recommendations? £300 or less

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Good Job lads!! Great feeling.

Any Helmet recommendations? £300 or less
Usual answer is try them and see what fits well, but I would suggest brands like HJC or Shark for that budget.

Had an HJC RPHA10 which was nice and light. Also if you want a flip helmet (really handy if you wear glasses) the Shark Evoline models are good because the chin bar flips right back and are suitable to ride like that while open. They also have internal tinted visor. Downside is they are a bit heavy and noisier than traditional fullface.

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
I went to module road and race and tried a bunch on. settled on a nice Shark with Pin-lock, sub-200, really good fit. a few K miles later and no regrets but I haven't banged my head off anything yet..!

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
Anyone know how long it takes to get your license back when you send it in to get the motorcycle class added? they couldn't do mine automatically

WSK

RMS Regular
Drives
R
Anyone know how long it takes to get your license back when you send it in to get the motorcycle class added? they couldn't do mine automatically
Took mine a bout a week. Quicker than I thought tbh!

StephenMcC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Guy in Craigavon sent mine off, got a letter 2 days later telling me i needed to pay for a renewal as there was less than 2 months on the licence,

....I'm on a medically restricted licence and don't pay for renewals.

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
I leave for Portugal on Thursday so a bit nervous, been almost 2 weeks. Looks like the wife will be my chauffeur for 2 weeks :laughing:

A-ron

RMS Regular
Has anyone had tuition from 'Go Motorcycle Training NI'?

I've never sat on a motorcycle before but have always wanted a bike. I had a CRF250 motocross bike for a week when I was 19, hit the powerband, came off, scared the life out of myself, and sold it.

Booked my theory this week with a view to hopefully having my full license by summer.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
I did my CBT on a 125cc and got my theory there. I’m looking to do the full A licence this year. If I go out for lessons with an instructor on a 600cc do I need to do a different CBT? I’m confused as an instructor told me I needed a different CBT if I wanted to ride a big bike.

Reactions: Ben

Wheelchair

RMS Regular
Drives
I did my CBT on a 125cc and got my theory there. I’m looking to do the full A licence this year. If I go out for lessons with an instructor on a 600cc do I need to do a different CBT? I’m confused as an instructor told me I needed a different CBT if I wanted to ride a big bike.
I don’t believe that’s the case, unless legislation has changed very recently.

The only reason you would need to do another CBT would be if you don’t pass your full test within 2 years of passing your current CBT.

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
Make sure and do it sooner rather than later. The instructor I used for mine has had to close his bike test business as can't get insurance. He's given up his premises and been forced in to car lessons.

saxo_man

RMS Regular
I don’t believe that’s the case, unless legislation has changed very recently.

The only reason you would need to do another CBT would be if you don’t pass your full test within 2 years of passing your current CBT.
That’s what I thought too, I read it as ‘you need a CBT, then you can ride a 600cc under supervision of an approved instructor to get your test’. No mention of a different CBT?
1708636065388.png

Slimsbikers

RMS Regular
Drives
S1000xr
I'm in the process of doing the instructors test and can tell you that you do need a different cbt for the 600.The instructor who put you through the cbt should have informed you of this instead of making you pay for 2. My son was going to do the test. He was 20 years old and did his cbt on a restricted 650.He never even sat on a 125 Provided you were over 19 when you did your 1st cbt, you could have done it on a 600(restricted).

Last edited:

saxo_man

RMS Regular
I'm in the process of doing the instructors test and can tell you that you do need a different cbt for the 600.The instructor who put you through the cbt should have informed you of this instead of making you pay for 2. My son was going to do the test. He was 20 years old and did his cbt on a restricted 650.He never even sat on a 125 Provided you were over 19 when you did your 1st cbt, you could have done it on a 600(restricted).
Good to get clarification on this. I did not know this at the time, assumed one CBT did it all from what I've read above. In truth I dont think I'd have been confident to do it on anything bigger than a 125cc, having never ridden a bike before. I'll get another couple of months riding on my 125cc then look into the other CBT, more £££. Will you have your licence to instruct any time soon?

Slimsbikers

RMS Regular
Drives
S1000xr
Good to get clarification on this. I did not know this at the time, assumed one CBT did it all from what I've read above. In truth I dont think I'd have been confident to do it on anything bigger than a 125cc, having never ridden a bike before. I'll get another couple of months riding on my 125cc then look into the other CBT, more £££. Will you have your licence to instruct any time soon?
Hope to have it in the next couple of months. Who did you do your cbt with?

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Whoever you done your CBT with should have put you through it on a bigger bike, unless you hadn’t mentioned that you were for carrying on and doing the full A licence.

Instructors doing the CBT as a standalone test is a bit of a money grabbing scam as it is. It can be completed throughout the lessons your undertaking for the full licence.