Multi Car Policy

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
I'm With Admiral on a multi car policy having 3 or 4 cars, I'm with them 6 years now and my insurance was always around £1000, TBH it was a godsend when I found it as its so much easier than multiple policies plus its easy to add and remove cars.

Last year it was about £1000 for 4 cars, one being a Porsche 997. I sold the Porsche before Christmas and yet this year my renewal is £1481 :scream: I'm just off the phone with them and the best they'll do is £1326 :pensive: I was hoping for £1000 again.

I could go back to all separate policies but firstly its more hassle and secondly the problem car will be the 2019 Lotus as its a PITA to insure as its an expensive car and I won't have a dedicated NCB to apply.

Suggestions please.......................Greenlight is a no go as my daily is a BMW and the Lotus is worth too much.

407_hdi

RMS Regular
Drives
E-Class / Z4
Can they break the quote down for you and see which vehicle is pushing up the price? I renewed with them this year for the 3rd time, nobody can get near them for cost any time I've ran through mine. I have the house with them and they even gave me specific cover for the garage and tools. For comparision I'm paying £200 on my Z4, £170 on my E-Class Coupe. Bangor West location but thats social use only as I work from home

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
I had a Multi cover policy with Admiral for 2 years which incorporates the house as well as the cars, then 2 years ago they where way too expensive for the house so I took it off and went back to a Multi car policy.

Wifes Audi Q5
2022 price £222
2023 price £413

My BMW 335
bought 8 months ago £523

Lotus
2022 Price £274
2023 Price £389

and those 2023 prices are after I called them!

Last year all the individual prices where in the £200 - £300 range, mow they're all in the £400 - £600 range.

Are Adrian Flux any good? Are there any other multicar companies out there?

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
Tried flux today for a lotus and they were over £100 dearer than admiral who came in at £430 FC with no NCB as it’s on my daily.

Snoopcousins

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Same happened to me with admiral,
Last year £880 for 3 cars inc M3 but this year was a 50% increase mainly on the M3,

Took the M3 to cheapest on CompareNI and back to where I was paying before, but annoying when not on one multi-policy

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
With the same details entered LV came in at £1322 so near identical to Admiral.

What the hell is going on with car insurance????

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
I think they're all up. Still worth calling round obviously.

As you say, tricky with that collection.

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
Mine was up significantly this year with Admiral too.
I priced around both another multi car and covering them independently. I took my 3 cheapest quotes back to them and they matched them.

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
Same for me with my Admiral multicover this year for the A6, Civic and home/contents insurance.
Screenshot_20230718_202253_Gmail.jpg

I phoned them and eventually got them down to £1800. Even when I ran quotes through comparison sites, everything seemed to be up considerably and they still worked out the cheapest after a bit of haggling and giving them my best quotes from other companies. Should also add we have no claims, points, accidents, etc.

Cheeky f*ckers also tried to increase my premium by £100 when I updated my dependents with our newly born baby. They eventually backed down on that though!

I suppose the cost of everything has went up, materials, parts, cars, houses, etc so that is probably their excuse. Insurance companies are still gangsters though.

PAULW

RMS Regular
Similar with admiral for me, insurance prices have gone crazy. Direct line increased my home policy 50% and when I checked comparison sites they were cheapest for the level of cover even with the increase, sadly with unchecked inflation we're all getting poorer.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Same here, up from £2000 to £2795 on 6 cars, biggest increase was on our 9YO Freelander from £225 to £450. Dropped off the 155 and there really wasn't much budging on anything else tbh. Used cars are more expensive, parts are hard to get for repairs even secondhand and the main reason is that the insurance business is a corrupt monopoly, more of a crime syndicate really. 🤷‍♂️

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
Same here, up from £2000 to £2795 on 6 cars, biggest increase was on our 9YO Freelander from £225 to £450. Dropped off the 155 and there really wasn't much budging on anything else tbh. Used cars are more expensive, parts are hard to get for repairs even secondhand and the main reason is that the insurance business is a corrupt monopoly, more of a crime syndicate really. 🤷‍♂️
I cut the mileage on the Lotus from 3k pa to 2k pa (I've only done 200 miles this year!), the premium dropped £8!!!! 😮

After LV's quote and the thought of trying to insure a modern Lotus with no individual NCB I just reluctantly went with Admiral.🙄

They did mention that premiums were expected to fall soon.........not that that's any use to me.

Why doesn't multi car insurance work like multi bike insurance? They insure the highest premium bike, the others are added for a couple of pounds as a theft risk and only one NCB is needed as intelligent people know you can only ride one bike at a time 😂. I used to have 3 motorbikes and the insurance was £90 on a GSXR1000 and another £20 for the other 2.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
My classic policy works like that. The mileage is split amongst the lot of the cars. Adding a new one is normally admin fee and a few quid. Apart from the M5 which was couple hundred quid extra but I was kind of expecting that.

Deezer-D

RMS Regular
Drives
Mini SE
My Admiral multi car renewal is in and down by £200 but that’s probably due to Mini Deezer having her own policy for a year which has brought the price down.
Need to change me as the policy holder on the Mini this year as I’ll loose 20 odd year NCB if I don’t as I sold my own car.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
The problem with the classic car policies is they seem to be very low mileage, just a few thousand miles tops. They say "oh, if you're doing more than that then it's clearly a daily"... Even though a single weekend to England/Scotland/Ireland can eat up that alone, lol 🙈

Never mind a trip or two to in Europe...

So I have a bunch of nineties cars on fully comp individual policies, each with their own NCB count, just me as named driver, etc. It's just nuts. As mentioned, it's not like more than one is ever driven at a time, lol. Thankfully they generally at least match the highest NCB so the numbers are not too bad in the grand scheme of things. But still crazy.

In civilised countries insurance follows the driver. And then the cover is for the driver in whatever car they drive. So you only need one policy (per driver) if you own multiple cars. And things like NCB then also automatically follow the driver. So none of this "losing NCB" nonsense, or paying a fortune on your own policy just for your kids to drive, or whatever. There may be common sense restrictions, like not driving a new Ferrari if you are 20 years old and just got your license, but that's it.

Anyway, it is what it is. Just have to play the game.

There's always taking the bike instead 😅

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I've 5k a year across several cars which are realistically used half of the year when salty roads, holidays, work, etc is factored in. More than enough for me. Most years I only manage about half that between the lot of them. Longer trips are done in air conditioned modern day safety with mountain bikes, roof boxes and all sorts strapped in & round the thing. Or as it turned out this year, alone with 12 mountain bikes in the back of a van for 1000 miles :joy:

The biggest downfall with classic is the age limit... by the time something falls into scope it's hard to find a good example.

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
Insurance on the Tesla doubled from last year, house insurance went up 40% and the cheapest quote I can get at 40 years old on an F80 M3 is £1150. They're all taking the piss.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
We're all in it together you know 😅

Food prices, energy prices, fuel prices, mortgage costs, insurance costs, mobile bills - absolutely no profiteering. But our dear leaders are having stern words with them, I'm sure that will sort it all out 😇😂