Multi Car Policy

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
It's quite random. It's partly age, but they will sometimes cover certain "collectable" newer cars too. It varies by policy/underwriter.

Basically a "classic" policy is designed around cars that only get driven carefully once in a blue moon down to the beach or whatever on a sunny Sunday. Hence restricted miles, lower risk to the insurer, etc.

Anything that takes you outside of that profile - long roadtrips, whatever - and they don't want to know. Then you're back to a "normal" fully comp single car policy.

A "multicar policy" is just several "normal" single car policies with the same insurer. Hopefully with an actual discount for bringing more business. But lord knows as it's near impossible to determine the true difference.

At the end of the day, it's a matter of getting multiple quotes, using comparison sites, etc., and see what works best for you and what use you need.

Last edited:

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Brought to you by svensktoppenGPT.

Anyway, Lotus and C63 renewal was up a few weeks back, same story - choke a donkey grim prices. The worst by far though was the family I-Pace that we thankfully got a renewal quote under £600. Natural reaction was comparison sites, cheapest was £1400, so sigh of relief just to renew as is. And what I had to listen to... as if the state of the market was my fault!

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
Now dreading October when I have to renew, £830 for 3 cars on Admiral multicar currently.

Cost of repair is up massively according to Axa who renewed for my da at +40% YoY

Burt2000

RMS Regular
Drives
Type RA Ltd
I was able to get the lotus insured there for £320 today after being on the phone to the guy. That was a good discount from £440!

mike150

RMS Regular
OP
mike150
Drives
Around
Car insurance has never made sense to me...........

13 years ago I wanted a Lotus Elise S1 as a second car, insurance was £1000!!!!! I couldn't find anyone who classed it as a classic, I think they said it had to be 25 years old and I had no NCB to apply to a normal policy.

So I bought a 10 year old Porsche Boxster S as classic insurance was £200 for it.

Having sold the Porsche I looked into the Lotus again a year later but no joy, it was still a grand for insurance. So I bought a Duratec Westfield with 180hp as the insurance was £200.

I continued to buy Caterhams in later years as kit car insurance is really cheap even for a Caterham 620 with 310hp, a crazy car. I eventually found Admiral multicar and bought my Elise in 2019 as I could sensibly insure it.

As I said I'll never understand car insurance

AC

RMS Regular
This was my renewal in March from Admiral for a Tiguan, Clio 182 and C63s. Searched high and low elsewhere and the cheapest alternative was £1,600+ so ended up just clenching the cheeks and renewing.

IMG_0822.jpeg