My new Italian Project - Alfa 159 Ti

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Had her out at its first car meet in my ownership this morning and she was received pretty well.

Thanks to you guys for your kind comments this morning:

IMG_1433.jpeg

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
New Years Day and the wife wanted to go for a short walk around Mossley Mill and the nature walk down there leading to Three Mile Water, we didnā€™t do it all, but the wife managed an impressive 2.6miles today.

We took the Alfa down to Mossley Mill and the was the first time the wife and kids were in it. They all love it!!

IMG_1441.jpeg

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Whilst. Was out today my new power steering reservoir was delivered.

IMG_1457.jpeg

The reason the car needed it was because the steering was getting noisy, having first noticed it when going to/from PMG last weekend.

Rather than assume it was the pump or dreaded rack failure I turned (pun unintended) to the Alfa Owners groups where the general consensus was that it was the reservoir at fault, common problem it seems.

There is a little filter on the inside of the reservoir on the return line. Itā€™s main job is actually to slow the fluid return into the bottle. When it breaks free the speed of the fluid returning ends up airating the fluid, causing it to bobble and froth up, which leads to air getting into the system making it noisy.

It canā€™t be re-attached without cutting open the reservoir:

IMG_1444.jpeg

As someone else has previously done. In the above image you can see the filter.

In the following YouTube link you can hear my filter rattling inside:

That was a few days ago and as I needed the car and was fearful off doing damage, I did a small bodge until the reservoir was delivered. I fitted a small piece of wire mesh to the exterior end of the inlet pipe before refitting the hose and that seemed to do the trick:

IMG_1463.jpeg

So today when I got home I set about fitting the replacement reservoir and it seems much better than before!

IMG_1466.png

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
I had noticed the other day when checking/topping fluids that there was a dribble under the car when filling the washer fluid.

Today I pulled the wheel arch liner off to have a look and discovered this tiny split in a plastic ā€œLā€ shaped connector, simply binned it and stuck the washer hose directly to the pump, problem solved.

IMG_1473.jpeg

Whilst doing it my new boot switch/badge arrived. It was purely for function purposes that I was replacing it, but a nice bonus was that it is cosmetically better as well!

Now I can open the boot without having to remove the key from the ignition! #firstworldproblems lol

Before:

IMG_1475.jpeg

After:

IMG_1476.jpeg

Todd

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 | A6 | A3
Pretty sure I passed you earlier near the 50mph zone outside of Ballymoney?

Gave you last minute hazards!

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Pretty sure I passed you earlier near the 50mph zone outside of Ballymoney?

Gave you last minute hazards!
Sorry, only seeing this now, wouldnā€™t have been me mate, not on Saturday anyway lol. I was up in Coleraine on Thursday and had passed through that way

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
That reality is a lovely car šŸ‘ hows it drive?
Really nice! Such a comfortable place to be.
Sort of surreal in terms of speed/acceleration, doesnā€™t feel like youā€™re going fast so you have to keep your eye on the Speedo.

I havenā€™t really pushed it too hard aside from an ā€œItalian tune upā€, but I think itā€™ll handle well when I feel brave enough to push it on back roads.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia

Blackie

RMS Regular
OP
Blackie
Drives
BMW 520d SE
Have you discovered night panel mode yet? (Borrowed from Saab)

It'll last about 5 mins šŸ˜±

I washed my car yesterday as the layer of salt on it was annoying me. Boggin again already.

Can I recommend lanoguard to protect all your hard work!!
Night panel mode?? Surely not?

karl7900

RMS Regular
Drives
Touareg 3.2 V6
I remember my Touareg had a random button on the back of the steering wheel that turned off the illumination of the steering wheel buttons