New rules for towing a trailer or caravan with a car from autumn 2021

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
The hgv test iirc had a bit about safe loading of trailers. As that was heaviest part of the load over the trailer axles and tractor unit axles if the load couldn't be distributed evenly.

All well and good in theory, until you've got 20 deliveries with a pallet each and the heavier pallets can't be put that way due to delivery ordering 🤣

But generally it's done the best it can be

AMG

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Sent my licence off at the weekend for my "move" across the water. Might see it again in about 6 months time when Swansea get round to opening the letter!

Robin_Hood

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender
Done my B&E test in Coleraine last week, examiner had said there was no plans to extend this to N.I..
12 week wait for test atm going on my experience.

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
Did the trailer test in Craigavon with Wendy’s trailers after putting it off for so long! Must admit even though it’s a bit more than what it needs to be test wise but I didn’t realise how many bad habits I had picked up over 13 years of driving. Would definitely recommend her , new shape xc60 made the driving bit of it enjoyable!

StevenMc29

RMS Regular
Anyone know the current waiting times for the test? Assume the rules have not changed for NI? Thanks

Shea

RMS Regular
Drives
T2,911,GR86
Sent my licence off at the weekend for my "move" across the water. Might see it again in about 6 months time when Swansea get round to opening the letter!
Any luck with this? would you be able to change your address back to NI afterwards and retain the categories?

joel44w

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap scrap
Anybody done this successfully?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Bit more in here about it;

@111gsi

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
Anybody done this successfully?
Seems sketchy does it not? I drive with a trailer 6 days a week most weeks and the clowns you get is unreal. I was in Lurgan one day in traffic and about 6 teenagers crossed over my a-frame and it sort of makes you think if the worst happened and someone was killed whilst you were towing, is the first thing they are going to look at is where and when you did your test? If your trailer comes off at 60 and piles into a family with a tonne on the back are you covered? Surely for 400 quid would you all not just do it right?

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Seems sketchy does it not? I drive with a trailer 6 days a week most weeks and the clowns you get is unreal. I was in Lurgan one day in traffic and about 6 teenagers crossed over my a-frame and it sort of makes you think if the worst happened and someone was killed whilst you were towing, is the first thing they are going to look at is where and when you did your test? If your trailer comes off at 60 and piles into a family with a tonne on the back are you covered? Surely for 400 quid would you all not just do it right?

A lot of the idiots I see with trailers are the small ones that don't require a licence tbh.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI

Can't see them investigating where or how you got the categories as long as it was on the license in the first place. It's good enough for England so why not here.

It's a mindset thing. I remember my instructor telling me that the lads that have reversed trailers round a yard since they were 12 and thought they were pure class at towing were absolute menaces on the road. I'd hazard a guess that they'd be the sort to think they need no teaching and will therefore exploit the loophole. The training is a good idea whether you can get away with it or not.

Of all the dodgy towing I see out there it's nearly always overloaded and unroadworthy trailers. And as quite rightly pointed out it's usually wee 6x4's which are almost certainly being towed by someone that doesn't think they need any additional training lol.

A lot of the idiots I see with trailers are the small ones that don't require a licence tbh.

Which reinforces the need for some additional training & a test.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155

Wouldn’t even call them trailers , more like wheelbarrows 😂
I've a 5'x3' that I think is the perfect size for most stuff but easy to store. When I built it I put a small amount of negative camber and toe in and it makes it so stable on the road.

Have taken some questionable loads with it but it always has good tyres, working lights etc and a lot don't unfortunately.

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
I've a 5'x3' that I think is the perfect size for most stuff but easy to store. When I built it I put a small amount of negative camber and toe in and it makes it so stable on the road.

Have taken some questionable loads with it but it always has good tyres, working lights etc and a lot don't unfortunately.
Probably well built Tbf we’ve a home made twin axle still kicking about and it’s twice the trailer those new ifors are 😂 but there are some hilarious ones bouncing about , there was a boy one day at the cutts had one made of pallets 😂 thinking back now I wish I got a picture

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Jesus, I'm amazed that a trailer made of pallets had enough structural integrity to make it as far as the dump!

Aye, I've had a few people ask me where I got it and whether I could make one for them lol. Also had an officer ask how it was so stable 'at that speed' 8o|
It's a triggers broom / ship of theseus, originally built to be the same size as a trailer my dad bought from David Hanna in carryduff around 1974. Started out using a few bits and pieces from the original and now only the hitch is from the 'Mk1'..

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
Jesus, I'm amazed that a trailer made of pallets had enough structural integrity to make it as far as the dump!

Aye, I've had a few people ask me where I got it and whether I could make one for them lol. Also had an officer ask how it was so stable 'at that speed' 8o|
It's a triggers broom / ship of theseus, originally built to be the same size as a trailer my dad bought from David Hanna in carryduff around 1974. Started out using a few bits and pieces from the original and now only the hitch is from the 'Mk1'..
😂😂😂 sitting at 50 no questions 👀 the old ones are far better built as back then you didn’t really worry about how heavy your trailer was , that Aul one of ours must be 800/900 kg and is only 8.5 x 4.5 lol will give you a buzz tomorrow and get out to see you over the weekend

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
Same here, I stayed in England a few months then moved back. B+E category intact.
Yeah but you actually lived there even for a few months so man maths I’d have no issues , by no means do I do everything by the book , but license and insurances I’ve always done it right

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d

For me it's getting the time to go do the test moreso than the money element.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
If your trailer comes off at 60 and piles into a family with a tonne on the back are you covered
Way back when I used to spanner at the racing, I was supposed to go to mondello with the team but had something else on. They used to have old 7.5ton ex bakery box lorries with a modified tail lift to put the long ramps on them and a shelf just above the roll hoop height so you could fit 2 cars in the back and one in a trailer behind it. I would have driven one of the lorries normally. On the Sunday coming back from the race, the trailer detached coming into a left hander and came out alongside the lorry. There was a young mother with a child in the car coming the opposite way but at the last second the trailer slowed and went left back behind the lorry and onto the grass verge, on its side. They reckoned the nose had dipped and caught the handbrake lever and that's how it slowed. Didn’t make much sense but at least nobody was hurt.
Turned out the towball was bolted to a plate that had crap welds and the plate was still attached to the trailer. We spent most of the next week checking all the towbars on the trucks and vans in the yard. Tommy needed a drink to calm himself with the thoughts of what could have happened. There's a lot of badly rigged up yokes that you see around still unfortunately.

Nicky Glanza

RMS Regular
Drives
BMX
Way back when I used to spanner at the racing, I was supposed to go to mondello with the team but had something else on. They used to have old 7.5ton ex bakery box lorries with a modified tail lift to put the long ramps on them and a shelf just above the roll hoop height so you could fit 2 cars in the back and one in a trailer behind it. I would have driven one of the lorries normally. On the Sunday coming back from the race, the trailer detached coming into a left hander and came out alongside the lorry. There was a young mother with a child in the car coming the opposite way but at the last second the trailer slowed and went left back behind the lorry and onto the grass verge, on its side. They reckoned the nose had dipped and caught the handbrake lever and that's how it slowed. Didn’t make much sense but at least nobody was hurt.
Turned out the towball was bolted to a plate that had crap welds and the plate was still attached to the trailer. We spent most of the next week checking all the towbars on the trucks and vans in the yard. Tommy needed a drink to calm himself with the thoughts of what could have happened. There's a lot of badly rigged up yokes that you see around still unfortunately.
That would definitely make you change the underwear! You see all sorts coming in and out of the quarry / gravel yard 😂

PAULW

RMS Regular
Any recommendations for who to use for the trailer test training (B+E), ballymena area?

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Any recommendations for who to use for the trailer test training (B+E), ballymena area?

I made enquiries with Ian Kettyle last week and I believe he covers Ballymena. Guts of £400 all said and done which includes the test fee. That's on the assumption you have a fair idea on towing a trailer and aren't starting from scratch.