Paying for a car over 10k

j44nty

RMS Regular
Ive had 2 bad enough experiences.

1st one a guy in manchester would only accept english 50’s with a bank receipt. I had to send him an image of the receipt first then carry over 10k bit **** but all turned out ok, he was just a plonker.

2nd one was recently. I picked up another car for 13k I went into my bank and informed them I was going to transfer the money and to let it go through. They made a note of it and told me that would be fine. Sure enough the incompetent p***k didnt sort it so the funds wouldnt clear. If I was stuck in England at this point I would be very pissed off. I had to return to the bank the following day and read the riot act. Second time it worked.

Cro

RMS Regular
Went to Glasgow for my Z4MC many years ago, seller asked for a bankers draft. Landed over and he informed me he wouldn't take one, some friend had told him that he'd heard of fake Northern Bank drafts!

Ended up having to get my Mum to do two faster payment transfers for the money, she had to go into the bank to get them to help.....bless her, she thought she was never getting that money back! Lol

Lol guy called Chris? Got a similar story, same place too. I had to go with him to the bank and show him the draft money having already left my account

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
See that's my worry I am with Nationwide, I know there is a £10k limit but not sure if its a 10k per day or 10k per transaction
With Nationwide its per transaction so you can send as much as you want but has to be 10,000 or less per transaction.

I've done payments this way and recently used chaps which is unlimited for amounts but there is a £20 for it. I used it as it was to a financial company and so needed a reference number for identification and I didn’t want several separate transfers with the same reference number.

Nationwide are instant for transfers in my experience.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Lol guy called Chris? Got a similar story, same place too. I had to go with him to the bank and show him the draft money having already left my account

You know what, I think his name was chris, quite a young guy, lived in a stunning big 3/4 storey Georgian townhouse in west end I think? Had pedigree cats of some description.

Reactions: Cro

pablo

RMS Moderator
yeah Ive been pulled in the airport with a bag full of cash. thankfully those days are over and its click click drive

dddrrift

RMS Regular
when I was going to buy the M3 in Scotland I took a rucksack with £8k cash exactly, thought id keep the bag at my feet on the plane for safekeeping. Half way through the flight I could hear the 2 girls in the seats behind me whispering... couldn't make much out other than.... whisper whisper whisper 8 thousand whisper whisper.... my heart near burst out of chest in panic. Thankfully it was nothing to do with the cash and it was safe and sound but il never forget the panic!lol Bank transfer from then on lol

MarkM

RMS Regular
I’ll never forget the fella who came from England to buy my Evo IX GT.

I still don’t know how he got through airport security with £25K in a rucksack.

RS direct wanted me to bring cash for the A45 at the time lol £30k in a bag, wouldn’t have looked dodgy in the slightest :eyes:

gcon45

RMS Regular
Drives
and rides
RS direct wanted me to bring cash for the A45 at the time lol £30k in a bag, wouldn’t have looked dodgy in the slightest :eyes:

9C2DD28C-F90F-4E65-948C-880F4BB96D8F.jpeg

Mikey Forrester? Russian ******* sailors?
What the f**k are you boys on?

:joy:

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Transferred the full amount for the C63 online with Santander.

Only problem I had was because of the amount they wouldn't let me do it unless they phoned me back, which was fine once I found a phone in the desert in Iraq. Few security questions later and they approved it no bother.

Though they did ask me twice "So you're happy for us to transfer the full amount to a dealer you haven't met for a car you haven't driven or seen?"

Yep, transfer it to **** lol

Lee

RMS Regular
Transferred the full amount for the C63 online with Santander.

Only problem I had was because of the amount they wouldn't let me do it unless they phoned me back, which was fine once I found a phone in the desert in Iraq. Few security questions later and they approved it no bother.

Though they did ask me twice "So you're happy for us to transfer the full amount to a dealer you haven't met for a car you haven't driven or seen?"

Yep, transfer it to **** lol

How did you have the confidence to do that? Why not send a substantial deposit first and pay on collection? Or are you just a risk taker lol

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
How did you have the confidence to do that? Why not send a substantial deposit first and pay on collection? Or are you just a risk taker lol

I'd call it calculated risk taker :joy: To be fair I'd seen plenty photos including anything I'd asked for including tyre treads, bolsters, underneath, the service history etc, and it was a pretty prestigious dealer I got it from so I had every confidence it was right for me.
Plus I had no time to wait for money to clear when I got there as it was booked in for the remap in Birmingham later that morning!

The Range Rover though was private so just sent across a deposit, we swapped photos of driving licences and were happy each other was legit, he collected me at the airport, I had a quick look round then transferred the rest to him which was quick and painless. But again he'd sent me photos of literally everything, even marks that I still don't think exist. He also replied with proper full page emails detailing everything including garage phone numbers and the names of the guys who had worked on it.

You can usually tell by talking to the person on the other end and their responses if they're genuine or not.

Unless they're from Bradford, Birmingham, Luton etc :p

300trophy

RMS Regular
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
Just a bump for this...

Going to pick up my new car next Friday and will be transferring the balance electronically. Has anyone had any problems sending more than 10k through Ulster Bank? I will be going to my branch on Saturday to ask them but would rather hear first hand experiences! I’m not due to be on the ferry home until Saturday but would be great to get the deal done and on the road ASAP again.

dddrrift

RMS Regular
yep, ulster bank are horse sh*t. Complete pain in the ass to send a large amount to a new recip. Id find another way if you can, or use a different bank

300trophy

RMS Regular
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
yep, ulster bank are horse sh*t. Complete pain in the ass to send a large amount to a new recip. Id find another way if you can, or use a different bank

Even if I have sent to the person before? I had set them up and transferred a deposit to them. When you say pain in the ass, did it just take a long time for the transfer to go through or what?

dddrrift

RMS Regular
yes, even if they are an existing contact. the app is rubbish. you ‘may’ have better luck on the proper website but id go into a branch and speak to someone before travelling. have a backup plan lol

300trophy

RMS Regular
Drives
Megane 275 Cup-S
yes, even if they are an existing contact. the app is rubbish. you ‘may’ have better luck on the proper website but id go into a branch and speak to someone before travelling. have a backup plan lol

I was in the branch before Christmas and they advised me to use the website (you will need the card reader - which I have) to make a payment over £500 and up to £20,000. I’ll be going in again on Saturday just to confirm everything, would be good to just give them the heads up that he transfer will be taking place and for it to be instant!

dddrrift

RMS Regular
i wish you luck lol they let me down and left me in a bad situation. never again

Phil_D

RMS Regular
I assume these are all private sales ? Most dealers should have card facilities, i used my debit card when buying the Alfa, no problem at all (Danske Bank)

RickyB

RMS Regular
Drives
E3VO X
Problem with Debit Card is a lot of dealers are getting charged by their Merchants for taking Debit Cards now upto 1% which could equate to £300 on a £30k car...

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
@Eddie_ when buying the Golf I had to send separate payments on different day as they would only let me send 10k per day. I've used a bankers draft in the past (when I bough the Focus ST which was more than the 10k as it was easier at the time).

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Problem with Debit Card is a lot of dealers are getting charged by their Merchants for taking Debit Cards now upto 1% which could equate to £300 on a £30k car...
Such a mare, they’d literati ANYTHING to screw people out of their money, between insurance and banks I don’t know who is worse

Jason

RMS Regular
As a rule of thumb its 1% debit, 2% credit and ROI or foreign customers 3%.

We only accept bank transfer for full payment and deposits up to £1k on card machine.

Simon83

RMS Regular
When I bought the Tiguan, I had to do the transfer in branch. They charge £25 for the privilege. I transferred the money 9 o’clock Monday morning it didn’t show in the dealers account until Tuesday lunch time.