Plate on retention

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Can anyone tell me how much it is to put a plate on retention? Just planning ahead incase im landed with another one next week.

Marc

RMS Moderator
i thought in NI it was impossible to put a plate on retention.. i thought it had to go onto another car right away

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Nope, im pretty sure it can. Think its £25 per year, not 100% but.

Nordonian

RMS Regular
i asked my da about this lyons, unless the car is still registered on the mainland, its impossible to retain a number plate in northern ireland.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
So the only thing to do is put it on another car? Oh bollocks.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Dads friend had a plate on retention before putting it on his Cobra. Theres a boy who goes to our church has several on retention too ;).

Nordonian

RMS Regular
then the cars have to be registerd on the main land some how, plate retention is not available in northern ireland YET, government plans are to bring it out soon

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Sure, if the plates on retention, theres no car involved yet.

Nordonian

RMS Regular
but rentionion is only available to the mainland, the way my dad is able to retain plates is because he has a shed of about 2-300 really old motorbikes locked in a shed and uses them to transfer the plates

thers a car about portadown with a personalised plate, he is selling the car soon and has had to transfer the plate over to his girlfriends car in order to keep a hold of it

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Pish, my cousin who works in the DVLNI just confirmed it can only be done on the mainland.

Nordonian

RMS Regular
Lyons said:
Pish, my cousin who works in the DVLNI just confirmed it can only be done on the mainland.

my da has been dealing in plates for 25 years +
if he says it aint possible id be inclined to take his word on it ^o)

2fast4u

RMS Regular
Drives
V50, MT-10, MSX
Lyons said:

This is a bummer found this out when i was trying to get my old plate off my saxo. Its a bit strange cos if ya buy one from the likes of wilsons auctions it comes on a retention cert.:confounded:

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
That was another question i was going to ask, excellent. Is there a time limit you have to put the plate onto a car if bought from wilsons?

2fast4u

RMS Regular
Drives
V50, MT-10, MSX
Think ya have 12 mths, but if its like cross the water you can pay a fee and keep it on the cert think its about £45 per year.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Its £25, but as Nodronion's dad has established, it cant be done here. 12mths is more than ample but ;)

Peje

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI CS45
if it came to it u could register it on some ols scrapper lyin about til u get sorted

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
All this depends whether i win the auction tomorrow. I wont get excited until i phone and see!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.