Police Mess up again

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

4Motions

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf
Back in Jan this year when I still had my saxo I got pulled over by the police and they ran the usual vehicle checks on my car.

Even though the night I had been stopped I showed the constable my licence and he had seen I had valid tax, he said he still wanted me to go to the police station and produce the rest of my documents.
So I called up the next day, the officer working takes my details and that was that...problem over

Then this letter comes from the PPS saying the constable who stopped me was charging me for driving a vehicle without valid tax and insurance and that I had to appear in court. I couldnt understand this because the night I got stopped the constable clearly seen the big "CIRCULAR SHAPED DISK" stating I HAD TAX. :mad:

So off to the solicitor I go to show the documents, and she cant understand why I was getting charged either because I had the receipt that shows that I had produced everything.
Not only this but the officer who stopped me clearly couldnt read or right because he took my name and address down wrong even though all he had to do was copy it from the drivers licence I gave him.

In the constables statement as well he really goes over the top because he goes along the lines of saying "I got officer ***** ******* to take evasive action and position the car infront of the vehicle we where pursuing" Apart from the fact I was doing 30mph he makes it sound like a worlds wildest police chase with John Bunnell commentating.

Now because of some **** *** constable, Im having to pay out for a solicitor and Ive been told that the PSNI will not pay my solicitors fees even though its clearly been there mistake. In some strange way they took my details but never got around to recording them. :mad: I would love to know where thats my problem, because as far as i care I havent broken the law. Im still waiting on a response from the PSNI as to what happened and why it is Im having to pay the solicitor.

I would love to know where these officers are comming from because they clearly do not have a clue.

w.reid306

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo / SV650s
sounds unlucky, can your solicitor not get the offence revoked before it goes to court? and therefore u dont have to pay the solicitors court fees too!

i got stopped and asked to produce after i had just sent my licence off to get points on it, I explained this to the policeman at the time and gave him my other documents, he gave me a producer anyway, and told me to go down whether they came back in the week or not, so i did, policeman in the station said "nuthin i can do" so i told him to make a record that i had been there.

summons came thru the post for not havin a driving licence, and no valid insurance because of the failure of producing the licence.

went to my solicitors, and he took a copy of my licence and insurance and sent it off, so that it wudnt need to go to court.

Daisy

RMS Regular
How much are the fee's..? Would you not rather pay £100 a get your name cleared than points/fines etc etc and then solicitor / court fee's as well....???

Nazor

RMS Regular
Drives
306 Dimma
Well Daisy if you look at it this way - he did nothing wrong in the first place so i think his point is why should he foot the bill. I can see your point but if you had that sorta attitude u'd get totally walked over throughout life.

Daisy

RMS Regular
I see where you are coming from as well Nazor but it looks like it will be going to court anyway, they wont admit that they are wrong as obviously they have no records of 4motions producing the documents in the time given to do so...

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Feck the solicitor, just turn up at court with the appropriate documentation to let the judge see for himself how stupid and incompetent the copper is.

Innocent until proven guilty remember, they have to PROVE beyond reasonable doubt that you're guilty.

Richy

RMS Regular
Drives
E55
Top work from the PSNI again, the new breed of coppers seem like they've been thrown in at the deep end with no clue what to do.

Andy mac

A
How much are the fee's..? Would you not rather pay £100 a get your name cleared than points/fines etc etc and then solicitor / court fee's as well....???

(n) why should he be the out of pocket due to an error by the psni....he shouldn't have to "clear his name", the guy did nothing wrong.

avo5021

RMS Regular
Not sure how you would go about claiming your fees back but you should deffo be able to get them back..

4Motions

RMS Regular
OP
4Motions
Drives
Golf
Thanks for the replies

Just to add to it, I got a letter from my solicitor today saying that the court hearing is going ahead and that I must attend in person. The solicitor originally tried to sort the problem with the PPS out of court but they are clearly not happy with that.

The problem is I have done nothing wrong at all, I produced all the documents required within the specified time limit. Becuase of the PSNI being as incompetent as they are I am having to pay out for a solicitor to sort there mistake. :mad:

All the time, money and effort that is being wasted here, when there are joy riders....etc out there who dont get it this bad :mad:

Role on the 8th of May

DaddyCC

RMS Regular
Drives
VW CC
Id speak to the solicitor about the (albeit unlikely) chance of once this is sorted, get them n00bs up in court for the stress this has caused you as you were totally innocent and feared losing your liscense and job :p, time off work you had to take to attend these ridiculous hearings and make them pay for the time you've had to pay solicitor to sort this all out....

Maybe im being too american about it as im not normally into that crap, but if they cant even sort it outside of court and you are as innocent as your story sounds, then f them, get the arm into the *******s :mad: Well if your solicitor thinks you can :p

P.S, seen your Jolph in Bangor last night, lookin well in the flesh from what i seen (y)

4Motions

RMS Regular
OP
4Motions
Drives
Golf
P.S, seen your Jolph in Bangor last night, lookin well in the flesh from what i seen (y)

Thanks....still needs the odd bit done to it. Thought Id take a run to bangor since I havent had the time lately

I spoke to the solicitor today and was told I cant claim because the PSNI are hard as anything to get money out off espically when its such a small problem in there eyes.

What took the biscuit was the response I got from an officer when they where "trying" to find my details....THESE THINGS HAPPEN AND UNFORTUNATLY THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN REALLY DO ABOUT IT

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Feck the solicitor, just turn up at court with the appropriate documentation to let the judge see for himself how stupid and incompetent the copper is.

Innocent until proven guilty remember, they have to PROVE beyond reasonable doubt that you're guilty.

Not with motoring offences. Its guilty until you somehow prove your innocence.

Good luck with this, and trying to recover your costs. I fear you have little chance though. Financial costs are one thing nevermind the stress and hassle it causes.

2002 Tii

Banned
Legal Aid is not available for motoring offences..
Since when?

I've been in court at least a dozen times for offences ranging from no licence, no insurance, dangerous driving, careless driving, driving whilst disqualified, etc. and have never had to pay a penny in costs, all done through legal aid.

Never paid a penny of the fines either. :party:

wingnut

Drives
S2 Coupe
Pity they done away with the "In on Wednesday out on Friday" fine payment scheme.

2002 Tii

Banned
Nah its still kicking about, just hand yourself in thursday night when its a bank holiday following monday and you'll be out saturday morning on a 7 day warrant. Gift.

hazey

RMS Regular
Drives
civic/kangoo
thats pathetic.sure when you think about it sure your paying your taxes to take yourself to court and paying the solicitor aswell.

i had to pay £400 odd 4 years ago.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Since when?

I've been in court at least a dozen times for offences ranging from no licence, no insurance, dangerous driving, careless driving, driving whilst disqualified, etc. and have never had to pay a penny in costs, all done through legal aid.

Never paid a penny of the fines either. :party:

seriously ?

2002 Tii

Banned
yeah never paid a solicitor in my life and i've been using them for pretty much the last 15 years

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.