Police Powers in NI

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

colin84

RMS Regular
Just to repeat what others have said, I would be phoning the police at the very least. Does not sound right at all.

gt_86

RMS Regular
I believe thats a misconception, the police can enter propertry with more rights than any of us want to believe.
What a load of rubbish. Many a time i've stood at the door with the free wheelers asking if they can come in, and they've been told to clear off as i know they don't have an automatic right to just dander in. It is NOT a "misconception". You obviously haven't had many dealing with the police!

@santoz My initial alarm bells to your story is that they seem to have become insurance assessors as well as police officers, never in my life have i heard of police commenting on the cost of damage to a vehicle, i wouldn't think they'd be allowed to legally anyhow.

Jethro

RMS Regular
I don't think they were police at all, so I'd be checking round the house to see what's gone missing or checking to see if one of them is still in the house................

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
No harm but I would not be waiting until tomorrow to call this in. For all you know they were very much up to no good. A simply call to the duty sergeant should surely be able to confirm weather two of his officers did call or not.
If they did, fair enough deal with the other stuff via a solicitor

If they did not however, you will be glad you called and possibly have saved someone a lot of trouble not to mention the possibility of someone impersonating Police officers.

Call them, now.

mayweather

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 Evolution
What a load of rubbish. Many a time i've stood at the door with the free wheelers asking if they can come in, and they've been told to clear off as i know they don't have an automatic right to just dander in. It is NOT a "misconception". You obviously haven't had many dealing with the police!

You must be very proud.

I am not going to say much more on the matter, however, I know they can walk straight into your property if they suspect certain offences.

santoz

RMS Regular
OP
santoz
Drives
VRS, Clio 182
No harm but I would not be waiting until tomorrow to call this in. For all you know they were very much up to no good. A simply call to the duty sergeant should surely be able to confirm weather two of his officers did call or not.
If they did, fair enough deal with the other stuff via a solicitor

If they did not however, you will be glad you called and possibly have saved someone a lot of trouble not to mention the possibility of someone impersonating Police officers.

Call them, now.

My dad's ringing them now, but i probably won't hear anything till the morning as I've a one year old to look after.

There's nothing in the house worth anything, and its pretty well secured (at night)

@gt_86 that put alarm bells ringing for me, i studied tort and contract law for two years as part of my degree and i never knew the police could disclose damages

santoz

RMS Regular
OP
santoz
Drives
VRS, Clio 182
You must be very proud.

I am not going to say much more on the matter, however, I know they can walk straight into your property if they suspect certain offences.

From my understanding, if someone had died or a pedestrian was supposedly knocked down I would agree that they could enter.

But for someone making an acquisition with no circumstantial evidence it seems very, very odd.

Ghisallo

RMS Regular
All sounds very alarming. In case it was imposters, I'd be straight onto the PSNI, no farting about. In case it was the PSNI, I'd be onto the local Sinn Fein advice centre looking for Gerry Kelly!

santoz

RMS Regular
OP
santoz
Drives
VRS, Clio 182
Thanks guys, I'm going to hit the sack but I will update this thread as soon as I hear anymore.

If it wasn't the cops I'll probably ring the press or news so that they can put a warning of some sort out (after I report it too the police)

mayweather

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 Evolution
There are peoples doors put in every single day without evidence bar "intellingence" from a tout trying to get himself of with whatever charges hes looking at.

santoz

RMS Regular
OP
santoz
Drives
VRS, Clio 182
All sounds very alarming. In case it was imposters, I'd be straight onto the PSNI, no farting about. In case it was the PSNI, I'd be onto the local Sinn Fein advice centre looking for Gerry Kelly!

haha, my ones are political and wouldn't support the Shinners but thats the first person who i thought off

santoz

RMS Regular
OP
santoz
Drives
VRS, Clio 182
There are peoples doors put in every single day without evidence bar "intellingence" from a tout trying to get himself of with whatever charges hes looking at.

Someone was killed by the police recently (not here) on the false testament of a inmate, but then its like every job you have some excellent cops and some bad cops unfortunately

mayweather

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 Evolution
Someone was killed by the police recently (not here) on the false testament of a inmate, but then its like every job you have some excellent cops and some bad cops unfortunately

I agree with you, same as every profession.

I wouldnt reccomend lowering yourself to contacting jerry smelly.

gt_86

RMS Regular
You must be very proud.

Probably best you say no more if you don't know what you re talking about?. We are talking about a traffic offence, @santoz's mother is not a mass murderer holed up holding hostages with doors and windows barricaded.

As a general rule, if you have nothing to hide then tell the police to be on their way. If you do have something to hide, tell them to be on their way as well. They can't just decide to enter your premises without just cause.

However when they arrive mob handed waving one of these with a magistrate's autograph in your face, the decision is out of your hands lol:

warrant.jpg

santoz

RMS Regular
OP
santoz
Drives
VRS, Clio 182
Just a quick update, rang the station and it was the police that called (obviously wouldn't disclose any information due to data protection.)

Spoke to my dad, who told me my mum opened the door but the officers in question never asked if they could come in only if they could sit down.

Which led him to believe I'd totaled the car.

I'm actually surprised how the officers dealt with this, I had a serious run in with the police when I was 18 and they were nice, introduced themselves and explained everything.

Imaginary Traffic offences must be more serious than I ever imaged!

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Just a quick update, rang the station and it was the police that called (obviously wouldn't disclose any information due to data protection.)

Spoke to my dad, who told me my mum opened the door but the officers in question never asked if they could come in only if they could sit down.

I'm actually surprised how the officers dealt with this, I had a serious run in with the police when I was 18 and they were nice, introduced themselves and explained everything.

On the plus side, at least it was the police.

Now just the matter of misconduct/accusations to deal with.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Either someone has got the reg wrong, has it in for your mum, picked that reg at random, or someone else has cloned the plate.

Ant

RMS Regular
on a side note, tell your ma to lock her doors anyway, enough of those burglaries going on during the day now as it is

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

Time to call the Ombudsman and get the complaint in.

And they should have told them they were welcome to sit on the doorstep

santoz

RMS Regular
OP
santoz
Drives
VRS, Clio 182
Either someone has got the reg wrong, has it in for your mum, picked that reg at random, or someone else has cloned the plate.

This sounds more reasonable, the police described her car as a new car, its a '03 530d and they couldn't give times.

No contact from the police so far, but I seen her car and there is not a mark on it. It sounds like some of the dodgy insurance claims that have been going on in Newry recently, muck savages

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
This sounds more reasonable, the police described her car as a new car, its a '03 530d and they couldn't give times.

No contact from the police so far, but I seen her car and there is not a mark on it. It sounds like some of the dodgy insurance claims that have been going on in Newry recently, muck savages

That's another matter and still no reason for the police to barge in etc

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.