Q about speeding conviction

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Wife got a letter this morning about her doing 40 in a 30.
So it says she's fined £60 and 3 points, or can take the speed awareness course.

Does taking the course mean you don't have to..
1. pay the fine?
2. Take the points?
3. Get to avoid both the fine and the points?

Is the course like an hour, or a half day, or how long would it last? Any ideas where it would be? She was caught at Altnagelvin.

Thanks

Deckz

RMS Regular
Drives
Cars
Taking the course means she gets no fine or points, but it's 90£ to attend the course and it lasts 4 hours.

Apis

RMS Regular
OP
Apis
Drives
various
Thanks Deckz. £90 for the course!!!
I think she'll just take the fine and the points.

Chris0

RMS Regular
If you have the option of the course I'd be taking it.

One simple mistake in the next 3 years and she is caught again could really increase insurance premiums with 6 points

Don't think 3 points will affect it much atm

brendy

RMS Regular
Yes but it's very easy to rack up points for a few mph over the speed limit a run of bad luck could see you waiting on the bus!

4 hour course or 5 years of declaring points, picking the latter is bonkers.
I have only ever had 3 points since they came in. Unless you are prone to hammering it often then you would be ok, if the latter, you deserve them.

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
I have only ever had 3 points since they came in. Unless you are prone to hammering it often then you would be ok, if the latter, you deserve them.

Flip diesel BMW ownership has changed you, behave.

And I wouldn't consider 35-40 in a 30 as hammering it anywhere.

Apis

RMS Regular
OP
Apis
Drives
various
3 points mean nothing though, Id rather not have the Patronising/condescending 4 hours thanks very much.

Exactly my thoughts. Plus half a day's inconvenience.

These are the first points she's ever had. And if gets she any more, then I suppose there would be a better case for taking the course to avoid having 6 or more.

G N K

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
say that when your braking distances are increased and a child walks out from behind a parked car.
The slower limits are the ones I think need to be respected the most.

Very fair point, I can respect that. I'd still take the course though!

@Apis don't be sure that's how it works... Course might only be offered every so often so if she gathered up anymore in quick succession it might not be as simple as that.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Exactly my thoughts. Plus half a day's inconvenience.

These are the first points she's ever had. And if gets she any more, then I suppose there would be a better case for taking the course to avoid having 6 or more.

I don't think you can though for a second offence. If you can then I wouldn't be as big a fan of doing it first time round probably then.

Chris0

RMS Regular
Yes I think you are only offered the course by chance the first time round but you won't be offered it for any further speeding offences

ChrisR

RMS Regular
Drives
MK3 Leon 1.4tsi
As far as I know the course is only offered at the 1st offence. If you already have points then it won't be offered again.

I'd def opt for the patronising course over taking the points.

Apis

RMS Regular
OP
Apis
Drives
various
Yeah, I didn't know about the course only being for your first time.

Anyway, I'm feeling quite smug about all the preaching she does to me about speed and then she goes and gets caught herself. She says the 30mph sign was far too out of town, lol.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
5 years of possibly increased premiums for a £30 saving? Nah, I'll take the course and laugh at the ignorance of the other numpties there that day.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.